FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars The Kona Luanii, Denver, CO
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
The Kona Luanii, Denver, CO
ZuluMagoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-09 8:27 pm   Permalink

A good local source for bamboo (well sort of local) is McGuckins Hardware up in Boulder. That's where I got all my bamboo. But I had to do all the torching and splitting myself.

View Profile of ZuluMagoo Send a personal message to ZuluMagoo  Email ZuluMagoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Matt Reese
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-22 8:26 pm   Permalink

Man, you guys come up with some of the most creative ideas. Keep them updates rolling in! Every time I see the stuff you do I get all motivated to build more stuff at my place. One word... fantastic.

View Profile of Matt Reese Send a personal message to Matt Reese  Email Matt Reese     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Kupcake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-22 9:09 pm   Permalink

Looking good!

View Profile of Tiki Kupcake Send a personal message to Tiki Kupcake  Goto the website of Tiki Kupcake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ZuluMagoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-23 6:25 pm   Permalink

One of the items I got from Bensons was coconut palm fibers. I wanted to try them on the wall like shingles. So I got out the staple gun (hint, color the top of the staples before loading into your gun so they don't show up on the fiber, I used a Sharpie).

Here are the fibers. They are pretty big, very lightweight and very easy to install!

Once I had the wall covered with the coconut fiber, it looked like a giant bear skin rug! It looked really funny. So I had to trim down the really fuzzy fiber parts and added some bamboo trim. I liked the way it eventually turned out, so I continued around onto another half wall.

I also finished putting the half rounds and full poles onto the ceiling. I use the poles to hang nets, cargo, lamps, etc. (coming later).

View Profile of ZuluMagoo Send a personal message to ZuluMagoo  Email ZuluMagoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-23 6:32 pm   Permalink

You make me want to have a better house.

I love the way the wall turned out. Thanks for sharing all of this, Mike.

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ZuluMagoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-28 9:17 pm   Permalink

All of the prep work is now complete for Phase II (refloored, repainted, all wall trimmings are done).

The last wall needs trimming.

Finished with the trim!!!

Now I'm ready to start with the fun stuff/decor. Last fall Bamboo Ben posted some shots of the
Tonga Lei tribute room he worked on for the Malibu Pier restaurant. I was inspired by what he did with the round booth!

This is the Tonga Lei tribute room in Malibu, CA.

So I started searching Craigslist looking for a restaurant booth to make the centerpiece of the Phase II expansion. I had a little luck , but all of the listings were for standard rectangular booths. Then, a few months later I found this beauty at an estate sale. It is in almost perfect condition (one small tear on the seat which is being repaired). I got the booth and the table for $80. I brought it home and stored it in the garage until the flooring, painting, trimming was complete.

The Kona Luanii booth and table waiting in my garage. Now the challenge. That beast has to get down into my basement through this doorway!

Yeah right!!

That doorway does not look any bigger from the bottom!

Fortunately, the booth comes apart into three pieces.

The base was easy to get down there turned on its side.

The back was much larger and a bit more challenging.

Going down with less than 1" to spare on the door frame!

Watch your fingers!

Bring the seat down and put it back together.

Now to find just the right place to put it.........

arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-29 08:23 am   Permalink

Wow, that's a great booth! And congrats on the very good price as well. Are you going to rehab the table that came with it, or use something else?

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-29 2:34 pm   Permalink

Zulu,
That is a masterpiece.
Only the best to you and your bar.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gremmie
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-06-29 3:16 pm   Permalink

Wow! This has been a fantastic looking project - WOW!

[ This Message was edited by: Gremmie 2009-06-29 15:16 ]

View Profile of Gremmie Send a personal message to Gremmie      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Murph
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-06-29 4:44 pm   Permalink

The place is looking fantastic!

That booth is rad.

Keep the pics coming.

thanks

WaikikiWomb

View Profile of Murph Send a personal message to Murph  Email Murph     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-29 6:08 pm   Permalink

I love how your place is coming together. The progression pictures are so fun. Best of luck with the rest, you are doing a great job.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TorchGuy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-03 03:45 am   Permalink

My vote: In the last photo, rotate it a quarter turn and put it in that rear left corner, facing the camera. That low beam (duct?) won't matter much there, and can be hidden weith hanging thatch and maybe a cluster of lighted glass floats in netting? And of course, a tall, thin tiki in the back left corner would be cool. Maybe some vertical bamboo poles on the right side where that sloped wall splits off and back, on which something could be hung on each side?

Love the booth but, all around, love the bar. Looks wonderfully cozy and comfy, a place I'd be happy with a drink in my hand and some Exotica on the stereo. I take it there are speakers poking around in there?

And what sort of treatment is planned for that window? Me being a fountain nut, I would jump at the chance to build a little tank outside it with "rain" splashing down. Even better if it's in one of those sunken wells due to basement being below ground level - put a removable cover over the top, add "rain" and deep blue lights and some plantings to flank the window, and it's always a rainy tropical night in the safety and comfort of the Kona Luanii, recalling the nights spent at sea!

View Profile of TorchGuy Send a personal message to TorchGuy  Email TorchGuy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Matt Reese
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-03 10:28 am   Permalink

I'd like to add a big WOW here as well.

View Profile of Matt Reese Send a personal message to Matt Reese  Email Matt Reese     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Surf Seal
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-07-03 2:25 pm   Permalink

Fantastic! Denver was where I grew up on Tiki dreams. You are doing a great job!

View Profile of Surf Seal Send a personal message to Surf Seal      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-05 07:04 am   Permalink

Okay, the booth does it! I'm coming to visit! Actually, we may have plans for the Denver area...

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation