FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Great News for Thrifty Drunks!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Great News for Thrifty Drunks!
Satan's Sin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-10 3:46 pm   Permalink

Had the most wonderful bourbon at a party this past weekend. Had to know what it was. The proud hostess showed me a bottle of what turned out to be Albertson's cheapo in-house store brand.

Its semi-classy label just lists it as "Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey." Picked up a fifth today, on sale at $5.99.

It's quite delicious. Sharp, flavorful, boozy, smokey, just a little bit sweet. Perfect for a Manhattan, I'd say, and quite the object of ease and contentment on its own with just a little ice.

Anyway, thought you fine folks would like to know. I know it's the kind of information I'd like.

View Profile of Satan's Sin Send a personal message to Satan's Sin  Email Satan's Sin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Numb Davey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-10 5:05 pm   Permalink

I believe that Frank-Lin rectifies Bourbon for Albertson's private label. Frank-Lin gets alot of that private label grocery business. I will attempt to find out what distillery produces the batch.

View Profile of Rum Numb Davey Send a personal message to Rum Numb Davey  Email Rum Numb Davey Goto the website of Rum Numb Davey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mbanu
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-08-10 6:23 pm   Permalink

It's probably Heaven Hill bourbon. They do most of the contracting out to stores for generic brands. Basically it's the same stuff as Evan Williams, only younger and a lower proof. Most of the generic HH bourbon is 4 year old and 80 proof.

View Profile of mbanu Send a personal message to mbanu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-10 6:48 pm   Permalink

I love bourbon, but I haven't heard of any of those brands. Any chance it might be bottled under a different name in the midwest?

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Numb Davey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-10 7:19 pm   Permalink

Fink Daddy..Never heard of Heaven Hill. Are you sure?
Check out website:http://www.heaven-hill.com/
They make some of the finest bourbon in Kentucky, Bruddah.

In spite, of the fact their marketing dept screwed Holden. As far as, Frank-Lin. They are a multi-state wine and spirits distributor based out San Jose, Califas. They also rectify numerous spirits for off-premise chain accounts nationwide. As far as, at least two years ago they made all Scotch, Canadian, and Bourbon whiskey.

Hope this helps.

View Profile of Rum Numb Davey Send a personal message to Rum Numb Davey  Email Rum Numb Davey Goto the website of Rum Numb Davey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Numb Davey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-10 7:27 pm   Permalink

They made all Brown Spirits (excluding rum) for Albertson's Nationwide that is...
The only reason I know is that Michael Maestro (who is Frank-Lin honcho) married a friend of mine from Mexcor, Ms. Celia Villanueva. (www.mexcor.com) Sorry too many Cuba Libre's this afternoon.

finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-10 7:28 pm   Permalink

Ah, I just looked at their site. I have had their Evan Williams bourbon many, many times, as well as a lot of their other liquers. I guess I just didn't know who made them.

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Numb Davey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-10 7:30 pm   Permalink

privately held "family Owned" company, Fink..so rare in Today's world of corporate hoodlums.

hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-10 8:13 pm   Permalink

Mmmm... Bourbon

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-10 9:55 pm   Permalink

My husband loves Jim Beam, I think I will buy some of this stuff tomorrow and see how he likes it. Thanks for the tip.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PiPhiRho
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-08-10 10:51 pm   Permalink

The best bourbon for the money is Bulleit Frontier Bourbon. It's about $20 per bottle on average and tastes like bourbons that cost in the $50 to $100 range. It was very hard to get until recently as it had a very limited distribution (I had to have mine sent by a friend in Colorado), but it is now available at many of the more well stocked liquor stores, such as bev mo. Hi Times and Beverage Warehouse have it for less than Bev Mo.

But you have me curious and I'm going to try the Albertson's (or whatever it was) brand and see how it stacks up.

View Profile of PiPhiRho Send a personal message to PiPhiRho  Email PiPhiRho Goto the website of PiPhiRho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Satan's Sin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-11 07:48 am   Permalink

R.N. Davey, did you mention "Cuba Libres?"

Here is a suggestion. Find grapefruiit-flavored soda -- my personal fave is Diet Shasta, but even Fresca will do in a pinch -- and substitute that for Coke. I think you will be surprised.

Also -- I'd appreciate your recipe for a Mohito. We here in California are so terribly concerned with being high, er, hip.

View Profile of Satan's Sin Send a personal message to Satan's Sin  Email Satan's Sin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2005-08-11 11:45 am   Permalink

My favorite inexpensive bourbons:

Old Grandad - the regular (at less then $10) is very good but the Bonded is even better (under $20 - I always buy Bonded bourbon when I find it - it's bottled under Gov't. supervision at 100 proof)

Old Crow - yes, it comes in a plastic bottle, but just try it - less then $10

Eljah Craig 12-year old - only $20 and better then Maker's Mark

Evan Williams black label - less then $10

Ezra Brooks - less then $10

Bulleit - around $20

George Dickel #12 - less then $20

W.L. Weller 12 year - less than $20

Wild Turkey 101 - less then $20 - great in a Manhattan

mmmmm, bourbon

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Numb Davey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-11 12:52 pm   Permalink

Satan Sin and others:

I just love Squirt, and I use it for Tequila "Paloma's" all the time. Kim always buys it, so we have it here all the time. I will try it instead of Coke substitute in my Cuba libres. Lately, I have been using the Virgin Black Cherry and Virgin Vanilla Colas as Coca Cola replacements. We bought two or three cases as a blow out item at Big Lots.

As far as, Mojito goes I have this to add. Three years ago, we went to Cuba from Mexico City. We stayed exactly four days, and I was on a real mission to find REAL Cohibas. Believe me, there are counterfeit stoogie peddlers in Havana looking for gullible tourists. I spent the first day and several hundred dollars securing three boxes of Cohiba Siglo V, as well as some tasty Montecristo Joyitas.

Kim was very annoyed so we spent the whole next day visiting museums and buying chatchkees. The food was absolutely fantastic, and we drank too many Daiquiris "Papa Hemingway" at the Floridita. Apparently, Hemingway liked his Daiquiris without sugar and more rum. The recipe I have is as follows:
1/2 oz. lime juice
1&1/2 oz grapefruit juice
1/2 oz maraschino liqueur
3 oz White Cuban Rum

I stayed and played dominos with some regulars until well in the evening when Kim went back to the hotel and I see why Hemingway loved the place. My Spanglish failed me many times after Kim left, but communication problems aside dominos are universal and the cigar smoke wafted around me like drapes for my soul. "Uno mas Habana Clobb Seis Anos, por favor!" I knew to keep repeating that mantra through the night and I would be fine.

Kim is a Mojito Lover, and I keep Marti stocked for her at home. In Havana, we were told to go for mojitos at the Bodeguita del Medio. We did and we are glad we did. Their Mojito was as follows:

1 oz fresh Squeeze lime juice
6-8 erba buena leaves
2/3 oz of pure cane sugar
2 oz Havana Club white rum
dash of mineral water

I believe it is important to muddle the leaves, sugar and lime juice before adding the ice, rum, and mineral water. I always muddle my mint in juleps, as well, for Bourbon.
For the TCers who wish to stock up on Havana Club, all it takes as a jaunt to Mexico. I can buy (not cheap) Havana Club "Silver Dry", Havana Club Anejo 3 anos gold, and sometimes the 5 anos at Canada Drugstore in Hermasillo in Sonora. I am sure for you West Texans, New Mexicans, and Californians you will be able to score Havana Club in TJ in Baja and Juarez (south of El Paso). Note: Havana Club is contraband and will be seized by cutoms and border patrol! If you are randomly checked, and you did not amnesty drop or declare..you WILL be cited. Once you have tripped that wire, EVERY time you travel abroad YOU will be singled out for searches and harassed. I have never been caught (knock on my head) BUT this is the facts. For you North Country TCers, Canada is awash with overpriced Cuban Rum and Cigars. (lucky bastardos)

thejab

Posted: 2005-08-11 1:35 pm   Permalink

My biggest gripe with Mojitos is that they often use too much mint (some bartenders think that the more the better). It's good to see a recipe that only calls for 6-7 leaves.

RND - How much money is the fine for bringing Cuban rum over? Last time I drove to Baja I had several bottles in my suitcase and my friends had several more as well. We told the agent we had a bottle of booze or 2 and he waved us through. Whew!

One time I was in a car that was searched but that day we didn't bring anything across except hangovers!

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation