FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Great News for Thrifty Drunks!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Great News for Thrifty Drunks!
Rum Numb Davey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-11 1:57 pm   Permalink

Here is my absolute Favorite Bourbon Bottler for quality to price ratio.

Kentucky Bourbon Distillers
http://kentuckybourbonwhiskey.com/

The old Willett Distillery, just outside of Bardstown looks abandoned. It is not, and bottles some of the best whiskey in America. The owner is named Even Kulsveen and he is A European who married into the Willett Family. The old Willett stock has dwindled down, and Kulsveen has his small batch and value added Bourbons distilled elsewhere in one of the eight operational distilleries in KY. He mostly sells to the Japanese market, and pockets of Europe.
Rowan's Creek is my favorite of KBD line, although for the bucks the Johnny Drum is fantastic. If you find this at your bottle shop -BUY IT.
Hard to come buy. By the way, I have the Classic Cask Single Batch 20 year old (Bottle 586 of 630) at 90.8 Proof. I am looking for another bottle as this one is half empty (I am a pessimist) so let me know the telephone number of any shop nationwide that you find a bottle in this series.

View Profile of Rum Numb Davey Send a personal message to Rum Numb Davey  Email Rum Numb Davey Goto the website of Rum Numb Davey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Numb Davey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-11 2:05 pm   Permalink

Jab: Don't know the fine but the aggravation is severe. Kim's dad, Nick Silva, is retired from Border Patrol and Customs in El Paso. Her brother in law is current border patrol agent there. We'll inquire with them and I'll post their reply. Do you buy Havana Club in TJ? What price are you paying there? Buy the way, I bought a bottle of Coruba at $18.99. Seems high? How much are you paying in Bay Area?

View Profile of Rum Numb Davey Send a personal message to Rum Numb Davey  Email Rum Numb Davey Goto the website of Rum Numb Davey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Satan's Sin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-11 2:16 pm   Permalink

R.N. Davey -- thanks for the Mojito recipe.

On muddling mint for a julep -- here's an interesting twist: get a large bowl, fill with fresh mint, then pour in a whole fifth of your favorite bourbon. But in the fridge overnight. Next morning, discard the mint, pour bourbon into the ice-filled tankards you have prepared for the juleps, garnish with a sprig of mint. Add a straw if you're from Kentucky, no straw if you're from Virginia.

Minty!

View Profile of Satan's Sin Send a personal message to Satan's Sin  Email Satan's Sin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-08-11 2:34 pm   Permalink

The last time (Oct. 2003) I went to Baja I bought Havana Club in Rosarito Beach. I bought clear (around $7), gold (around $9) and anejo (around $12). (I can't remember exact prices so these are ballpark). I also bought 1 Liter of Appleton silver which I can not find here, and some tequila.

Coruba is hard to find in the Bay Area but I have bought it in LA for around $12-15.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-08-11 2:38 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-08-11 14:16, Satan's Sin wrote:pour bourbon into the ice-filled tankards you have prepared for the juleps

Nice method!

One should always use crushed ice in a Julep, and it should be swizzled in the glass (or other vessel) until a frost occurs on the outside of the glass.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Numb Davey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-11 3:07 pm   Permalink

Gentleman:

I cannot recommend enough a set of Julep Cups from Wakefield Scearce Gallery.
http://www.wakefield-scearce.com/julep_cup_pres.aspx
These are the ones we utilize for Juleps at all Kentucky Colonel Functions like the Derby and Governor Patton's BBQ. Jab: I know you Bay Area guys don't like Dubya, so you may request some Jefferson Davis Clinton JDC engraved Julep Cups. My set are from when I first became a KC, so they are G.H.W.B.

Kim has a ton or Yerba Buena in our garden, as she makes sun tea with it so I have it fresh plucked for my Juleps. They frost up lovely, I say...Boy..where is my dang string tie and my Plantation Whites. Just a funny story as to my last trip to the Derby. Bill Samuels from Maker's Mark invited a group of us to sit in his box. He looked the part with his frock coat and white slacks. He rather "tongue and cheekingly" hired a diminutive man who strongly resembled the photographs we have of Jack Daniels. They dressed the man in period correct clothing (All Black) and the look-alike had Maker's Mark Cigars in a Maker's Mark Shoulder Bag and souvenir Red Wax covered shot glasses he passed out to all who came to visit the box. I have never laughed so hard at the pure genius of Bill Samuels Marketing gimmicks. Bill made ol' Jack his lawn Jockey on that day! jack..you been PUNKED!

UtopianDreem
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2005-08-12 9:38 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-08-11 14:34, thejab wrote:
I also bought 1 Liter of Appleton silver which I can not find here.

You can get Appleton white rum at Hi Time down here in So Cal--only the 750ml, though.

View Profile of UtopianDreem Send a personal message to UtopianDreem  Email UtopianDreem     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation