FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Carving Post
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 Next Page )
Carving Post
mrtikibar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-07 1:26 pm   Permalink

Basement Kahuna,
You bet I'd have a tiki like the one you are designing in my tiki room. Tastes vary and I think as long as you continue to carve quality pieces you will find a demand for your work.

View Profile of mrtikibar Send a personal message to mrtikibar  Email mrtikibar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrtikibar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-07 5:46 pm   Permalink

[quote]
On 2003-01-19 12:13, Basement Kahuna wrote:
I seal those things from top to bottom to slow drying (that's an oil finish on that tiki pole). All wood will crack if it dries too fast...the trick is to get it to only do this at the core and not at the surface. Fact from Brad Fisher, a buddy of mine who builds timberframes: a log loses 85% of it's moisture through the cut ends. Buy a can of pruning seal while working and tar the crap out of both ends of your log. The tiki will thank you!

Carvers! Help me get started. I have a 3 foot alder log from a tree cut down yesterday. It weighs in at 160 lbs. and I have managed to get the bark off with garden tools. (Don't ask.)
From what I gather, I should seal the ends.
This thing must be almost half water. Should I start carving on it right away or let it dry a bit? Should I score a side to encourage checking away from the face side? Or perhaps I should go the firewood route. I want my tiki to thank me but don't want to make foolish start up errors. Help.
mrtikiscars

View Profile of mrtikibar Send a personal message to mrtikibar  Email mrtikibar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-08 02:43 am   Permalink

If it was cut yesterday give it a couple or three weeks to see what it's gonna do. Seal both ends with prunng seal. No two logs are alike.

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrkCat
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-02-08 2:04 pm   Permalink

Here's a picture of one I'm working on for a friend.
The wood is Liquidamber from a tree that was cut down in front of the house. Fairly easy to carve on. Also picked up some palm poles the other day.

Mark

[ This Message was edited by: MrkCat on 2003-02-08 14:05 ]

View Profile of MrkCat Send a personal message to MrkCat      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiStitch
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-02-09 12:21 am   Permalink

That looks fantastic! You all are so inspiring, keep up the good work!

View Profile of TikiStitch Send a personal message to TikiStitch      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chongolio
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-09 7:01 pm   Permalink

O.K. Here is a few pics of my second attempt at carving. I did not use pruning seal so it is cracking and splitting already. I used a Eucalyptus stump that was left over from the gnarly storms that downed quite a few trees a while back. It was nice to carve, but I think that wood is prone to cracking. I called it quits after the wood really started showing signs of splittin' . I need to find a good piece of wood. My first attempt is in worse shape. Turns out I am using kiln dried construction grade wood used for beams and such. I already broke a router bit, so I am pretty close to calling it finished also. I just got to finish giving it a face. The moral of the story.....
use your prunning seal and dont do drugs.
Paying the dues,
Chongolio

[ This Message was edited by: Chongolio on 2003-02-09 19:05 ]

View Profile of Chongolio Send a personal message to Chongolio  Email Chongolio Goto the website of Chongolio     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-09 8:38 pm   Permalink

Yea, spray the crap out of them at both ends. I just lost a poplar log to fast drying because I had to go out of town on an emergency and didn't get a chance to seal the ends. Winters are as dry as a bone up here. I may try to utilize the cracks make some sort of witco-ish fountain out of it now. Switching to white pine to try it soon...just got four nice, straight, clear 7-foot logs.

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-09 9:02 pm   Permalink

Here's four views of some new clubs I have just finished...one is a Cook Islands Akatara, or serrated club. This is a formidable weapon, five feet eight inches long with sharp serrations. It is carved in solid old growth walnut. There is a similar example (another style and without the artificial aging) in the book NIGHT OF THE TIKI. The other is a Fijian Sali club. It was a deadly fulcrum-type weapon made to snap necks and with a blunt punch on the reverse side for the backswing. This one is carved in solid cherry. All of the checkering front and back on this club is parted line by line by hand. This type of club is one of the most commonly seen on the walls of the old places..there were several in Steven Crane's Luau that can be seen in old photos.

[ This Message was edited by: Basement Kahuna on 2003-02-09 21:06 ]

Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-10 06:53 am   Permalink

By the way, Chongolio...I like that tiki. Kinda different looking. Looks like an old tahitian tiki we have in the room. The cracks may in fact (in my humble opinion) kind of add some charm and aging to it...If you want to add age you can also char these slightly with a blowtorch. Pickle juice works, too (leaves no residual smell after a couple of days but oxidizes the wood really fast...that's an old trick we used to use in the antique business for aging secondary replacement woods in furniture!)....and that's a hot tiki MrkCat!

[ This Message was edited by: Basement Kahuna on 2003-02-10 12:43 ]

7TiKiS
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-02-10 10:13 am   Permalink

Another great tiki carving! Way to go MrKat! Looks good!

Great Job Chongolio, looks good from here, I'm with BK on the chex and crax, try staining the wood with a minwax stain to darken the deep areas, combined with the crax it may have a really neat 'aged' look.

BK - what are you doing with all of these great tools; story boards and carvings you are doing? Your house must be filling up with all the neat stuff you are carving... full yet? If so, you can put a few on display down here in FL if you want.

[ This Message was edited by: 7TiKiS on 2003-02-10 10:14 ]

View Profile of 7TiKiS Send a personal message to 7TiKiS  Email 7TiKiS Goto the website of 7TiKiS     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-10 12:37 pm   Permalink

Actually I'm kind of stockpiling for Hukilau, I hope to have a bunch of my stuff there for sale for the first time....and I'm gonna try to keep it reasonable for the folks. All of you guys ought to sell down there...you can sell out of your room all weekend.

Chongolio
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-10 3:41 pm   Permalink

Hey all, thanks for the input. I think everybody is putting out great work regardless of style, influence , etc. The ritual and process of creativity is what it all about. The pics everybody keeps posting keep me motivate to learn this skill.
Has anybody else ever carved a eucalyptus? I am not too bummed about the cracks, I kinda thought it made it look a little more aged also. I just hope it doesnt split to badly. Do you think it is to late to use pruning seal on it now? I will try the pickle juice trick since I dont have a torch. There is an abundance of redwoods around my parts, I think I will try to hunt down a redwood log for my next effort. Although I do think I remember a post about that being a harder wood.
Better pick up that stropping cloth while I am getting the pruning seal. Allright Mrkcat nice job! I like the way you worked out the mouth. Be sure to post some finished shots. Maybe you can get a profile too. BK the weapons are awesome! I dig the tapa you have them on too. Florida may still happen for me. If so I would definately want to browse your goods. The only thing I would be selling though would be decals and bar signs!
Thanks again everone for the replys, advice and of course the pics.
Chongolio

View Profile of Chongolio Send a personal message to Chongolio  Email Chongolio Goto the website of Chongolio     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-10 10:08 pm   Permalink

Basement Kahuna, the weapons look awesome! I would love to try my hand at creating one for my bar - any pointers?

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-10 10:38 pm   Permalink

I guess get the best photos you can (there's a big hardbound set I use called OCEANIC ARTS by Anthony J.P. Meyer) and have patience!

7TiKiS
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-02-11 06:17 am   Permalink

BK - would that be the same book currrently retailing on Amazon for a whopping $195.00 ?

Man that's an expensive "show n tell" item...

View Profile of 7TiKiS Send a personal message to 7TiKiS  Email 7TiKiS Goto the website of 7TiKiS     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation