FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Carving Post
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 Next Page )
Carving Post
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-22 7:39 pm   Permalink

That's a very, very nice Tahitian style, Octane...you should contact Brad The Beachcomber about purchasing a few of you carvings...he needs stuff bad right now for Hale Tiki.

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMaster
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-08-22 9:48 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

Below is a pair of Hawaiian Tikis "Ku"

[ This Message was edited by: TikiMaster on 2003-08-22 21:59 ]

[ This Message was edited by: TikiMaster on 2003-08-22 21:59 ]

View Profile of TikiMaster Send a personal message to TikiMaster  Email TikiMaster Goto the website of TikiMaster     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Octane
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-23 5:35 pm   Permalink

TikiMaster, good job on the KU's, i like the hawaiian gods.

Thanks BK, for the praise. About selling da tiki's i'm not sure if i'm ready for that or not. i'v only done about 8 that might even sell, and i kind want to keep most them for a while. i'm donating one or two, to MTKahuna for his new bar "the Hawaiian Room" , so i can always donate or sell one or two for Hale tiki. so it looks like i have to carve a few more.

i will email Brad "The Beachcomber" Owens, and see what he thinks, as it sounds like he's looking for, more donations, then items to buy, either way i think i can help.

here is a question for carvers who deal in palm wood. what type os sealer do you use on palm that wont change the color of the wood or have the least amount of color change?

[ This Message was edited by: octane on 2003-08-23 17:49 ]

View Profile of Octane Send a personal message to Octane      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-23 9:44 pm   Permalink

Octane,
none, no sealer.
It's funny how some of us carvers are attached to our tikis like they are children. Gecko told me he wouldn't sell me the Maori if I resold it. He wants to come visit it some day. I have 5 tikis that I'm attached to that I will only rent out, but now I'm having second thoughts about even renting after I got some back with a little damage. No respect.
The thing to do is work up a large inventory till finally you don't have the space and you are forced to sell. If you're good, they will knock your door down, but it takes a while for the word to get out. Up here it's seasonal. I try to push tikis with pools or ponds. If the customer has a pond or pool, then they NEED a tiki. Same as Bill Gates motto, "Give them something they think they need"

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitony
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2003-08-24 8:36 pm   Permalink

yo Octane, i just bought some clear coat in a gallon at home depot thats for outdoor wood furniture. its matte finish but its still glossy. it darkens the palm a little bit but not too much. it was $40 clams for the gallon but i covered the hawaiian tiki ( a few previous posts) and it barely put a dent in the gallon. the darkness on the hawaiian tiki is from the angle grinder, not the clear coat.
jungle trader... for sure on the inventory note. my parents house is overloaded with tikis, thats when i knew i needed to just start selling and didn't feel like i was losing a family member. its worth it when the buyers are really excited, cause no matter how much you're selling fo, it always feels like your getting cheated... but when the right person comes along, you want to give them your best tiki fo' free.

View Profile of tikitony Send a personal message to tikitony  Email tikitony Goto the website of tikitony     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-25 12:27 am   Permalink

Finished this one up last week from the stump of a blue spruce...

54 inches high and 14 inches wide...
A little torch work and some stain...

And a bit heavy...

[ This Message was edited by: Lake Surfer on 2003-08-25 00:29 ]

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Pirate
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-08-25 08:31 am   Permalink

Lake Surfer-

Outstanding Job! How do you do the teeth? The detail is awesome!

View Profile of Tiki Pirate Send a personal message to Tiki Pirate      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Pirate
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-08-25 08:31 am   Permalink

Lake Surfer-

Outstanding Job! How do you do the teeth? The detail is awesome!

View Profile of Tiki Pirate Send a personal message to Tiki Pirate      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-25 11:07 am   Permalink

Looks great as always...

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Octane
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-26 7:02 pm   Permalink

Lake looks great.

TikiTony thanks for the tip on the clear coat i go check it out at the old Depot.

BK, i was going to make a tiki with Abalone eyes, and i remember you have done this before. how do you cut the shells into circles for the eyes?

Here are a few pictures of the last tiki i did stained and varnished and a couple of all the ash tiki's i did this summer.

View Profile of Octane Send a personal message to Octane      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-26 10:08 pm   Permalink

First off with a damned good respirator (Bob Van Oosting told me that the dust can cause Mesothelioma, or lung cancer, with effects similar to Asbestos), but secondly with a Rotozip using a tile cutting bit. Generally the only tikis that traditionally ever have Abalone eyes are of Maori origin.

tikifreak
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-27 9:13 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: tikifreak on 2004-12-20 12:09 ]

View Profile of tikifreak Send a personal message to tikifreak  Email tikifreak Goto the website of tikifreak     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifreak
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-27 9:38 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: tikifreak on 2004-12-20 12:10 ]

View Profile of tikifreak Send a personal message to tikifreak  Email tikifreak Goto the website of tikifreak     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-28 12:37 pm   Permalink

Looks good, TF. I'd be interested to see what one of your jobs with a full body would looks like. Cool stuff, Octane...we have that love of Marquesan stuff in common...I think people overlook the importance of that style; it was far and above the number one style featured in the old tiki establishments. There was more Marquesan stuff than any other type of tiki featured by a longshot. But it oft gets ignored nowadays. Weapons, too. Only OA and Jack's of Fiji make them, (and a miniscule amount by me) as far as I know, and they're pretty vital to the right look in any proper tiki environment. Brad has mentioned interest in getting you to help me tackle some large poles for Hale Tiki (he needs 8 12-footers, about 8-10" diameter, and can be half-round)

Kanaka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-28 1:04 pm   Permalink

This is my favorite TC thread. I'm interested in learning how to carve and hope one day to convince BK (since he lives less than an hour away) to help me buy some tools and show me some basics (hint hint). Highland hardware www.highlandhardware.com is across the street from where I work and I get a great discount. You carvers always post pictures of your beautiful work but never tell us what happens to it??? Are these tikis carved for personal use, commisioned by other people, for sale? As a suggestion, if you post one that is for sale how about letting us know and what the price is, or at least put it on collecting tiki too.

Thx,

Scotty

View Profile of Kanaka Send a personal message to Kanaka  Email Kanaka     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation