[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Some rum
Some rum
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-12 08:19 am   Permalink

This is the window display of London's finest booze seller:

All prices in UK pounds. (Double it to get an idea of the US price....ouch!)

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Doctor Z
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-12 08:56 am   Permalink

Dear Santa:

Please bring me everything in this picture.

Love, Doctor Z
Ask for it by name!

View Profile of Doctor Z Send a personal message to Doctor Z  Email Doctor Z     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Santa Clause

Posted: 2005-08-12 09:05 am   Permalink

Have you been a good boy, Dr. Z? Hmmmm?

View Profile of Santa Clause Send a personal message to Santa Clause      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Numb Davey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-12 09:34 am   Permalink

Apparently not...Santa is bringing him the Stroh.

View Profile of Rum Numb Davey Send a personal message to Rum Numb Davey  Email Rum Numb Davey Goto the website of Rum Numb Davey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MachTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-12 09:41 am   Permalink

View Profile of MachTiki Send a personal message to MachTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-12 10:21 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-08-12 09:34, Rum Numb Davey wrote:

Haha - the only booze I've seen that made a perfectly sober person puke after downing a shot. I hadn't realised that Stroh produced a 'weaker' version, though. Wonder if it's drinkable.

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JTD
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-12 10:30 am   Permalink

Trader Woody,
"Ouch" is right. Are those typical prices for the UK, or is it just due to this being London's finest bottle shop?

Thanks,
JTD

View Profile of JTD Send a personal message to JTD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Doctor Z
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-12 10:44 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-08-12 10:21, Trader Woody wrote:
Quote:

On 2005-08-12 09:34, Rum Numb Davey wrote:

Haha - the only booze I've seen that made a perfectly sober person puke after downing a shot. I hadn't realised that Stroh produced a 'weaker' version, though. Wonder if it's drinkable.

Trader Woody

Along with an absurd amount of other alcohols, we went through an entire bottle of Stroh 80 at my party a few weeks ago, so even if that's all Santa brings, that'd be OK, 'cause I need to replace the bottle!

Now as far as being a 'good boy' goes, it all depends on how one defines 'good'...
Ask for it by name!

View Profile of Doctor Z Send a personal message to Doctor Z  Email Doctor Z     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jawa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-12 11:20 am   Permalink

Damn, and I thought prices were high in Florida!

View Profile of Jawa Send a personal message to Jawa  Email Jawa Goto the website of Jawa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-12 11:56 am   Permalink

With the awful time I've been having trying to track down a couple bottles of Lemon Hart, or any other Demarara rum for that matter, I'd gladly pay some of those prices! If I ever found a liquor store that had that much variety on their rum shelf I'd definitely be parting with some serious cash!

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Demon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-12 2:20 pm   Permalink

Stroh was the first rum I ever tasted. I was in Germany for a bit in high school. A bunch of us took a train to Innsbruck, where I believe Stroh is made. The Stroh bear was everywhere. So my buddy Aaron and I made a last second decision before getting on the train home to grab a bottle (thanks to a huge stroh window display right by the station). I bought a bottle of 60, and Aaron a bottle of 40. They went all the way down to 12 or something, if I recall correctly. Anyway, we nipped at the bottles all the way back home. 40 was surprisingly smooth, 60 made our eyes water.
We all loved the butterscotch flavor. That began my love affair with rum, even after learning that's not the way rum is supposed to taste.
I've bought the 80 here in the states, but it's just plain nuts. It totally negates the purpose of an otherwise pleasant little sipping rum. It HAS been 14 years since that trip, so maybe it's not as good as remembered. Still, seeing the 40 in the picture made my heart pitter pat a bit.
Rum Numb Navy (or anyone else), do you know if the lesser proof Strohs are available in the states anywhere? C'mon, hook a brother up. Or at least convince me why I shouldn't go back.

cheers,
-Joe

View Profile of Rum Demon Send a personal message to Rum Demon  Goto the website of Rum Demon     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-13 01:09 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-08-12 10:30, JTD wrote:
Trader Woody,
"Ouch" is right. Are those typical prices for the UK, or is it just due to this being London's finest bottle shop?

Thanks,
JTD

Well the prices are a little higher as the shop is based right in the center of London, but only by a couple of pounds or so. We pay a lot of tax on alchohol here, (though nowhere near as much as Scandinavian countries). Luckily, places where Brits mainly go on vacation (France, Spain, Greece etc) sell much cheaper booze, so we tend to stock up on the way back!

Trader Woody

U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation