Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music Exotica lovers opinions needed
Exotica lovers opinions needed
Urban Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-13 12:49 pm   Permalink

I have recorded an exotica version of "That Old Black Magic" and it has a theremin solo in it to give it a real retro cheesy feel to it. I am not sure if the theremin works here, so I would like to get opinions from my fellow TCers:

www.raylindsley.com/That_Old_Black_Magic.mp3

Thanks for your help!

View Profile of Urban Tiki Send a personal message to Urban Tiki  Email Urban Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Numb Davey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-13 3:17 pm   Permalink

Love it Urban Tiki...I am just attring to get caught up on the downloads on iTunes at: www.dennyesq.blogspot.com
Out neighbor, Chris, has a theremin and he plays it for us. Feels like a creepy Ed Woods movie. I think he uses it to spy on us like the KGB did!

View Profile of Rum Numb Davey Send a personal message to Rum Numb Davey  Email Rum Numb Davey Goto the website of Rum Numb Davey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bellybongo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-08-14 06:44 am   Permalink

Wow!
I would buy that on a vinyl single, please consider!

cheers from Magnus

View Profile of bellybongo Send a personal message to bellybongo  Goto the website of bellybongo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FreakBear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-15 09:45 am   Permalink

The Theramin is a great touch! I've been interested in what it might sound like in Exotica. If I were to change anything about it's use on this track, it would be to "open it up" a little -- that is, make more use of the theramin's range and don't play it so tight to the beat... but who am I to say.

Your recordings are great! Are you composing these digitally on a synthesizer, or do you actually have a full band of musicians? I hope to hear more!

View Profile of FreakBear Send a personal message to FreakBear      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Tim
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-15 2:27 pm   Permalink

Hi Urban....Really like "That Old Black Magic".The theremin solo was perfect...If you get a chance check this artcle out from the New York Times about the Theremin.
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/11/arts/music/11ther.html

View Profile of Tiki-Tim Send a personal message to Tiki-Tim  Email Tiki-Tim     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Numb Davey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-15 3:12 pm   Permalink

What fascinates me most about Theremin was his career with the KGB. where he developed spy technology.
If you get a chance read this book:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0252025822/103-2266482-8573425?v=glance

Tiki Tim: keep up the cool site. I have enjoyed it tremendously! Listening to Paul Conrad now.

Before the Revolution, the per capita consumption of RUM in the Colonies was 3.7 gallons PER person. We have become a Neo-temperant nation of wimps and quitters! We must rise, Tiki Nation, and raise our ceramic mugs in resistance to teatotaling!

[ This Message was edited by: Rum Numb Davey 2005-08-15 15:13 ]

View Profile of Rum Numb Davey Send a personal message to Rum Numb Davey  Email Rum Numb Davey Goto the website of Rum Numb Davey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Chris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-15 3:24 pm   Permalink

wow. listening to this now. the theremin is a very nice touch. kinda reminds me of those swirly drums you sometimes hear in brazilian music. & melody of the theramin solo reminds me of the tune "Bahia com H".

fun stuff,
tc

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Chris 2005-08-15 15:26 ]

View Profile of Tiki Chris Send a personal message to Tiki Chris  Email Tiki Chris Goto the website of Tiki Chris     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
von buck

Posted: 2006-10-19 7:54 pm   Permalink

i know this is a little late, but doesn't sound like a theremin

View Profile of von buck Send a personal message to von buck  Email von buck     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation