FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Bilge AMC Automobiles?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
AMC Automobiles?
tikitortured
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-13 10:07 pm   Permalink

What kind of acid do you think the designers at AMC were taking? The Gremlin? The Matador? The Javelin? The Hornet? The AMX? And the king of all freakish automotive oddities...The Pacer!!! I love 'em all!

View Profile of tikitortured Send a personal message to tikitortured  Email tikitortured Goto the website of tikitortured     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Shipwreckjoey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-14 01:03 am   Permalink

They started out with Sandoz in the mid '60's but by the early '70's the design team switched to Owsley (a far superior product that enabled them to envision the Gremlin & Pacer). What I wanna know is what kind of acid my dad was on when he traded in his 1971 Chevelle on an AMC Matador!

View Profile of Shipwreckjoey Send a personal message to Shipwreckjoey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-14 05:33 am   Permalink

ergh. Even worse than the designers thinking they looked cool is the bean counters and managers who decided to sell the damn things. again ergh

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
docwoods
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-14 06:30 am   Permalink

Thanks to my father's penchant for cheapness and crappy cars,I reluctantly can tell you we had a gremlin AND a pacer,though not at the same time.Talk about shame.

View Profile of docwoods Send a personal message to docwoods  Email docwoods     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gigantalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-14 10:23 am   Permalink

The Pride of Kenosha Wisc.

Don't forget the Rambler Scrambler, and the Nash Metropolitan in the list of curiosities.

The Javilin tho (means pig if said in spanish) was considered quite stylish...and the Gremlin while odd, was superior in every way to the Pintos and Vegas.

AMC was a conglomerate that included other cool car companies that ran into financial problems too.

This included, I believe Hudson, Packard and Studebaker and Nash, and later Jeep. (All part of Chrysler Diamler now)

Studebaker was originally partners with Conestoga Wagon company...the drivers of whom smoked cigars constant to keep bugs away...hence the term "Stogie" for a cigar.

I liked those odd cars.

Oh cripes, except the Matador, and Ambassador.

View Profile of Gigantalope Send a personal message to Gigantalope  Email Gigantalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2005-08-14 11:33 am   Permalink

In the mid eighties my car was in dire need of engine repairs which I could not afford. A good friend of mine loaned me his spare car, an AMC Hornet (his other car was a Gremlin!). This rickety rusty lopsided Hornet was in very poor shape and was referred to as "The Hornet Death Trap" by anyone that road in it. Three weeks later the Hornet Death Trap tried to live up to its name by catching on fire. Apparently the fuel line sprang a major leak. Fortunately I was able to coast the car to the side of the road. The whole engine compartment was engulfed in flames. After a 911 call, the fire department was able to quickly snuff out the fire before it spread further. Nevertheless the Hornet Death Trap was no more and I felt a strange sense of relief that I would not be driving in it anymore.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2005-08-14 5:48 pm   Permalink

I always thought Javelins were great looking cars.

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Primo Kimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-14 6:02 pm   Permalink

A=ameican M=meth X=exporters?

View Profile of Primo Kimo Send a personal message to Primo Kimo  Email Primo Kimo Goto the website of Primo Kimo ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-14 6:36 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-08-14 17:48, martiki wrote:
I always thought Javelins were great looking cars.

I second that emotion. Distinctive muscle cars. Evil looking at any speed.

View Profile of TikiGardener Send a personal message to TikiGardener  Goto the website of TikiGardener     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-14 6:51 pm   Permalink

Quote:

TikiGardener wrote:
Distinctive muscle cars. Evil looking at any speed.

I totally agree with you there. I still dont think they looked good

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chongolio
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-14 7:45 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-08-14 10:23, Gigantalope wrote:

The Javilin tho (means pig if said in spanish)

I always liked the story about how the Spanish community would have nothing to do with the "Nova" which means "No Go" in spanish.

Quote:

On 2005-08-14 10:23, Gigantalope wrote:

AMC was a conglomerate that included other cool car companies that ran into financial problems too.

This included, I believe Hudson, Packard and Studebaker and Nash, and later Jeep. (All part of Chrysler Diamler now)

Don't forget Harley Davidson was also owned by AMC for a while to the chagrin of millions of bikers. I remember how stoked my uncle, who is a long time Harely rider, was when Harley-Davidson was bought back. Isn't the original plant in Wisconsin?

I always thought the Gremlin had the coolest gas cap ever made. THe little Gremlin was an inspiration for many a childhood doodle.

Chongolio

Come explore
www.lost-isle.com
Kamapua'a the Hawaiian Pig God www.piggod.com

View Profile of Chongolio Send a personal message to Chongolio  Email Chongolio Goto the website of Chongolio     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitortured
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-14 8:20 pm   Permalink

Didn't AMC own bowling alleys or Brunswick too? Wonder if that's why the Pacer looked like a bowling ball. Wasn't the AMX supposed to be their "muscle car"? I gotta be honest tho, I hated those cars then but I dig 'em now.

View Profile of tikitortured Send a personal message to tikitortured  Email tikitortured Goto the website of tikitortured     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JimTandem
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-14 10:00 pm   Permalink

I learned to drive in my moms old Hornet. It steered like a Mack truck!
Saw a rusted out Pacer in a parking lot the other day, they must have set the record for largest amount of glass on a car. Like your driving a fishbowl!

View Profile of JimTandem Send a personal message to JimTandem  Email JimTandem     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bananabobs
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-14 11:09 pm   Permalink

In 1959, my Mom drove a pink Rambler with a Continental kit on the back, looked like a full sized Metropolitan, Metros were English cars imported first by Hudson and then by Nash. They were mostly made by what became the Roots Group who made Hillmans and Sunbeams. My Dad loved the idea of Ramblers because they were cheap, (He's a Scot) He used to get a new Classic every two years, no heater or radio. The only options were freight and keys.

View Profile of bananabobs Send a personal message to bananabobs      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-15 01:29 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-08-14 18:51, hewey wrote:
Quote:

TikiGardener wrote:
Distinctive muscle cars. Evil looking at any speed.

I totally agree with you there. I still dont think they looked good

Just be glad you didn't say that in Alabama in the early '70's!

View Profile of TikiGardener Send a personal message to TikiGardener  Goto the website of TikiGardener     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation