FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars The Moai Lounge (home bar)...As Seen on TV!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
The Moai Lounge (home bar)...As Seen on TV!
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-16 09:30 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-08-14 14:36, rodeotiki wrote:
I revise my previos statement from wow to HOLY CRAP!!!

Rodeo you took the words right out of my mouth - Scottiki the bar is absolutely gorgeous! That has got to be one, if not the best, home bar I've ever laid eyes on! Now where is Germantown in relation to Bel Air? I think I need to pay the Moai Lounge a visit!!! WOW!

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scottiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-08-16 10:11 am   Permalink

Hey John,
Germantown is located approx. 20 miles north of DC, just off (scenic) Interstate 270...prolly 'bout an hour from B'lair.
peace,
Scottiki

View Profile of Scottiki Send a personal message to Scottiki  Email Scottiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Bird
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-16 10:47 am   Permalink

Great job, and great tips for up-in-coming home bars!

TBird.

View Profile of Tiki Bird Send a personal message to Tiki Bird  Email Tiki Bird     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Digitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-16 8:26 pm   Permalink

Ok, so I know that everybody's already said it, but I just have to.....HOLY CRAP!!!!! The bridge is way cool!!!!

View Profile of Digitiki Send a personal message to Digitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Granite Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-16 8:55 pm   Permalink

Inspirational! Yet it raises the bar so high, it may cross over into bittersweet!
How can anyone possibly make a better home bar than that?!?!?!
Thank you for sharing it with us.

View Profile of The Granite Tiki Send a personal message to The Granite Tiki  Email The Granite Tiki Goto the website of The Granite Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scottiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-08-16 9:30 pm   Permalink

Granite: I've been lurking and planning and copping ideas for 8 months or so...then I spent 4 1/2 months of weekends & free time with my wife in my basement, in addition to buying more stuff online than a manic housewife with a gold card & DSL.
I owe many of the special elements of the Moai Lounge to fellow TCers that have been so (unwittingly) inspirational themselves...this site is absolutely overflowing with ideas, knowledge, inspiring photos & stories, and most of all, encouragement.
I was a bit too bashful to post progress pics along the way, like so many others have helpfully & shamelessly done (and I mean that in a good way), but now that my own dreams have been realized, I am ecstatic at the opportunity to use this forum to help others do the same.
And admittedly, my wife & I both have good jobs, no kids, and no fear when it comes to credit card debt.
Thanks for the love, but in all honesty, any home tiki bar that makes its owner/creator/guest happy, proud, mellow, peaceful or satisfied is the best tiki bar in the world!

Mahalo from my own little slice of paradise,
Scottiki

View Profile of Scottiki Send a personal message to Scottiki  Email Scottiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-16 9:54 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-08-16 21:30, Scottiki wrote:
Thanks for the love, but in all honesty, any home tiki bar that makes its owner/creator/guest happy, proud, mellow, peaceful or satisfied is the best tiki bar in the world!

Well, I dont have one. So for now, I will pretend I am in yours...

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scottiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-08-16 9:58 pm   Permalink

Hewey, if you make it to the DC area from down-under...you've got VIP pass, & I promise to mix you the best mai tai I can possibly muster up!
peace,
Scottiki

FreddieBallsomic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-19 6:12 pm   Permalink

WOW...great job.

View Profile of FreddieBallsomic Send a personal message to FreddieBallsomic      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seamus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-19 6:38 pm   Permalink

Really great to see the finished product Scott. Quit your day job and go into home bar design! You've got real talent brother!!

TikisbySeamus.com

View Profile of seamus Send a personal message to seamus  Email seamus Goto the website of seamus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scottiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-08-19 10:11 pm   Permalink

For those of you who haven't made a Seamus tiki a part of your tiki bar...do it! Seamus' moai are absolutely stunning, very reasonably priced, and my Moai Lounge wouldn't be complete without 'em!
Thanks, bro!

peace,
Scottiki

Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-19 10:21 pm   Permalink

Scottiki, your bar just blows me away! California may be the tiki capitol, but this slab-on-grade construction out here really sucks. I'd love to have a basement like yours to convert to a tiki bar. The median home price in CA is over 600k right now and no one has extra space. Maybe I can set one up in the back yard one day. Anyway, thanks for all the excellent photos and inspiration!

A-A

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scottiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-08-19 10:44 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the kind words, Aaron.

Having a finished basement as a blank canvas was awesome...I didn't have to frame/drywall/etc., and I also have total control over the lighting in the space (major perk to a subterranean tiki bar!).

Growing up in San Diego, and living in the San Gabriel valley 7 years ago, I had no idea how lucky I was.

Tiki everywhere!

Drinks at Bahooka? Sure.

Lunch at Bali Hai? Why not?

Go a couple rounds at Tiki Ti? Bring it on.

Now y'all got Lucky Tiki? Damn.

Jealousy's a bitter pill to swallow.

See, for whatever reason (lack of hipness most likely), the DC area has NO TIKI! Trader Vic's bailed quite a few years ago...Politiki is pretty much a sports/Capitol Hill crowd bar, and Honolulu (the final keeper of the tiki flame...one I tragically never had the chance to visit) closed last year. So I (and other DC/MD/VA tikiphiles) have no choice but to build our own tiki havens...something I couldn't have done without the help of Tiki Central.

But for now, the Tiki Torch burns brightly in my basement (a figurative blaze...still too flammable for now , and in the living rooms, rec rooms and decks of others in the greater DC area...perhaps one day soon the investment will be made once more, and a proper, commercial and public Tiki Temple will rise again in our Nation's Capitol...until then, at least we've got the Moai Lounge, the Lounge of the Seven Pleasures, the Pi-Yi Grotto, and other home tiki bars!

Keep on tiki'n,
Scottiki

[ This Message was edited by: Scottiki 2005-08-19 23:06 ]

motiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-08-21 8:04 pm   Permalink

What a great job, Moai are the greatest unsolved mystery and your bar is a great tribute!

View Profile of motiki Send a personal message to motiki  Goto the website of motiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scottiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-08-21 8:54 pm   Permalink

Thanks, mo.

To think that I've never been south of the equator, let alone to Easter Island, and I'm captivated by the Moai, I can't imagine what it'll be like once I make the trek & see them in person.

For now, I've just gotta imagine, and enjoy sippin' a mai tai in my own little tribute to those mysterious & delightfully enigmatic sculptures.

peace,
Scottiki

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation