FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars The Moai Lounge (home bar)...As Seen on TV!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
The Moai Lounge (home bar)...As Seen on TV!
Jawa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-26 12:04 pm   Permalink

I know you are probably sick of hearing this, but that is one awesome bar/lounge area!

Here is a photo from the Museum of Natural History in LA, from a trip my wife and I were on last week to the San Diego and LA areas:

Bali Hai, Tiki Ti, and moai all in one trip! SoCal is definitely a cool place.

Mad props again on the home bar, truly awesome!

View Profile of Jawa Send a personal message to Jawa  Email Jawa Goto the website of Jawa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pepe le Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-26 12:29 pm   Permalink

What can be said that hasn't already been posted but....WOW!!! The entrance, the room, the bar, the lighting....the details are amazing!! Well done, you must be very proud of your new oasis!
(your friends are very lucky too!!!)

View Profile of Pepe le Tiki Send a personal message to Pepe le Tiki  Goto the website of Pepe le Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki G.
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-06 1:38 pm   Permalink

Scott congrats on the HGTV episode coming up about the "Moai Lounge". I sent you an e-mail about not being able to open the attachment you sent me for the release form on my tiki you have on your signature wall. I hope you are able to use it for the shoot. Please let me know if I need to send anything to you that will work.

Cool man. Looking good!

G.

View Profile of Tiki G. Send a personal message to Tiki G.  Email Tiki G. Goto the website of Tiki G.     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki G.
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-14 12:16 pm   Permalink

Scott any word on this yet? Keep me informed.

G.

View Profile of Tiki G. Send a personal message to Tiki G.  Email Tiki G. Goto the website of Tiki G.     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-29 5:58 pm   Permalink

Holy f*cking sh*t! How did I miss this? You win! I humbly bow in humility..You have officially trumped every other home bar I have ever seen, including my own from long ago: http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=5084&forum=1&hilite=Kon%20Tiki%20Paradise%20Room I am a religious man despite the drinking, cursing, lusting, fornication, and drinking. I must ask forgiveness for coveting here. Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's private island. Fantastic job!

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-29 6:48 pm   Permalink

bk it's not only the beautiful space, but the host and hostess are unsurpassed.

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scottiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-01-29 8:41 pm   Permalink

BK...thank you for the love. During my months of lurking and planning, the pics The Kon Tiki Paradise Room became my benchmark of home tiki bar greatness. The intimacy, the incredible carvings, and the dense, immersive look of your bar completely blew me away. I love my Moai Lounge, but those pics still fill me with envy...you've got some mad skilz, bro, and reading your kind words make me prouder than I was just a couple hours ago, watching a high-school buddy's jaw drop as he crossed the bamboo bridge into the lounge! The Moai Lounge was 4 1/2 months of wondering what in the hell we were doing, pissing-off the UPS guy with many, heavy packages, and starting something that'll never really be finished but has become a truly special place. Anytime you're within a conch shell's roar of the DC area, the red carpet will be unfurled! It'd be an honor to mix you a mai tai (or pull a pint o' belgian brew)!
Johnny$, it was a pleasure to have you, the missus, and most of the MD/DC/VA ohana in the lounge last week...it made it truly feel like home. We're planning a larger gathering sometime in June, that will probably be announced on the TC Events forum.
Tiki G...last we heard from the HGTV peeps, they're still planning on shooting the lounge for a new show called "Look What I Did!" about creative, do-it-yourselfers, but the shoot, initially scheduled for mid-November '05, has been pushed back to sometime between Feb. & May of this year. Rest assured when/if it finally happens, the puff of white smoke will rise from the chimney, the macaws will be released, and plenty o' emails will be sent!
And yes, since the original pics were posted, we've made some additions, and at some point I'll get around to posting updated pics...but I'm holding off until we get the river of lava under the bamboo bridge in place. Hopefully that'll be soon.
peace,
Scottiki

[ This Message was edited by: Scottiki 2006-01-29 20:49 ]

View Profile of Scottiki Send a personal message to Scottiki  Email Scottiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-29 9:39 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-01-29 20:41, Scottiki wrote:
BK...thank you for the love. During my months of lurking and planning, the pics The Kon Tiki Paradise Room became my benchmark of home tiki bar greatness. The intimacy, the incredible carvings, and the dense, immersive look of your bar completely blew me away. I love my Moai Lounge, but those pics still fill me with envy...you've got some mad skilz, bro, and reading your kind words make me prouder than I was just a couple hours ago, watching a high-school buddy's jaw drop as he crossed the bamboo bridge into the lounge! The Moai Lounge was 4 1/2 months of wondering what in the hell we were doing, pissing-off the UPS guy with many, heavy packages, and starting something that'll never really be finished but has become a truly special place. Anytime you're within a conch shell's roar of the DC area, the red carpet will be unfurled! It'd be an honor to mix you a mai tai (or pull a pint o' belgian brew)!
Scottiki

[ This Message was edited by: Scottiki 2006-01-29 20:49 ]

I'm in! The honor's all mine. Hearing that somebody was influenced by the KTPR makes my night! But your place is so well crafted and laid out...it's just great.

[ This Message was edited by: Basement Kahuna 2006-01-29 21:41 ]

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-29 9:44 pm   Permalink

P.S. The ceiling is so important...just makes the tiki bar!

Scottiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-01-29 10:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-01-29 21:44, Basement Kahuna wrote:
P.S. The ceiling is so important...just makes the tiki bar!

Tru Dat!
I once covered my dorm room ceiling with silver mylar...it made all the differerence!
The ceiling in the Moai Lounge was without question our biggest challenge. Initially, given the pre-existing drop ceiling, I figured it'd be easy...I couldn't have been wronger.
After abandoning the fiber-optic star ceilinge, due to cost & hassle, I found what I thought would be an easy, relatively inexpensive celing cover: bamboo blinds at Cost Plus/World Market.
First I tried hanging the blinds with floral wire: they drooped, it was a pain in the ass, and looked like crap.
Staples wouldn't stick to the acoustical ceiling tiles.
Neither would contact cement.
Liquid nails took too long to dry.
Then I remembered my "mirrored" ceiling in college...double-sided foam tape! My savior! For 3 weeks!
Ultimately, the foam tape helped hold the blinds in place while I used a contractor's hot glue gun to (finally) stick the blinds to the ceiling. Hot glue also holds up the bamboo trim/seagrass rope knots. We've also started sticking retro-looking postcards up there, just to add to the completely overwhelming experience!
Someday I look forward to adding a BK original to the lounge...as well as a Benzart...and hell, why not a Leroy?!?
peace,
Scottiki

View Profile of Scottiki Send a personal message to Scottiki  Email Scottiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-29 10:16 pm   Permalink

All you have to do is let me know and I'll heat up the chisels!

Bete
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-30 3:32 pm   Permalink

Awesome basement, that is a paradise!

View Profile of Bete Send a personal message to Bete      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Dale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-30 3:41 pm   Permalink

You'd think all those years spent in my parents basement I would have done something as beautiful as this! Oh no. I just had to discipline the monkey instead of being a creative cat like this.

I wanna be yer best friend. I promise I wont be clingy....but I really love you...honest. Uh. whats yer name?

-Happy Skull-ptures---

View Profile of Mr. Dale Send a personal message to Mr. Dale  Email Mr. Dale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-31 08:39 am   Permalink

I just wanna echo everybody else's comments. I think 'Holy Crap' covers it. I was look at fiberglass waterfalls online. Just wondering how you made yours. Can you post some more pics of it? thanks for posting!

[ This Message was edited by: pappythesailor 2006-02-01 03:24 ]

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scottiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-01-31 10:57 pm   Permalink

Bete...thanks for the kind words!
Dale...if you come a bit eastward, and closer to sea level, you're welcome anytime!
Pappy...wish I could take credit for building the waterfall, but after thinking about it, reading about it (Artificial Rock Waterfalls & Fountains), and tirelessly surfing the web, I found
this one, and knew it was just right!

Believe it or not, it's one of those rare internet creatures that looks better in-person than online. I'll post some more pics though, real soon. I also added lights & a 5-disk fogger from Fountains & Slate for an even tiki-er effect.
Peace,
Scottiki

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation