FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars The Moai Lounge (home bar)...As Seen on TV!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
The Moai Lounge (home bar)...As Seen on TV!
rupe33
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-19 05:33 am   Permalink

Scottiki and his Wahine hosted a night out back in January for the DC/MD/VA Tikiphiles group... It was a fantastic time indeed and I've got photos to prove it:
http://tinyurl.com/a2ko7

Cheers,
Rupe

View Profile of rupe33 Send a personal message to rupe33  Goto the website of rupe33     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
foamy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-19 12:34 pm   Permalink

The Moai Lounge really is tough to beat. The nicest folks and the absolute best host and hostess. Veritable heaven for a tikiphile.

View Profile of foamy Send a personal message to foamy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benehune
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-20 1:25 pm   Permalink

Wow, I am very jealous. That is one of the best bars I have ever seen! And to have so many tikiphiles living near you, and you are not in California!

View Profile of Benehune Send a personal message to Benehune      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
I dream of tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-20 4:55 pm   Permalink

Scott & Jen, congratulations on having creating such an oasis in an area that is a desert for tiki.
Your creativity and effort is beyond mere praise from us mortals.

Wow, can't believe I missed this thread for so long. To completely understate the collective amazement and joy, the two of you did great. Dominique will be thrilled to see the pics. Where did you put the timor stool, btw?

Scott you did a great job breaking down the explanation of the light projection. You made out like a bandit for a custom steel template. As an aside, they call 'em "gobos" over in the theater world. The cookie name is rather funny. Nice choice of lighting fixtures. Double kudos. Ever thought of doing a party gel, where you cut up 3 colors and tape them together into one gel cut? No hurry. I like the projection in white. Very bold at the bottom of the stairs.

Rock on! I so look forward to paying both of you a visit someday. Folks, not only are they killer decorators, but they are yet another fine example of the fab ohana that is TC.

View Profile of I dream of tiki Send a personal message to I dream of tiki  Email I dream of tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scottiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-02-20 10:01 pm   Permalink

Thanks for sharing the pics, Rupe!
We'll be having another big bash sometime in June...probably the 24th...so mark your calendars with something non-permanent.
Foamy is an incredibly talented artist, and we're lucky to have him in this tiki-desert!
I.D. of Tiki...thanks again for your hospitality last November! The Mai Kai & Oceania were phenomenal by themselves, but having you as a tour guide made 'em truly unforgettable experiences. After a ton of lugging it around the house, the East Timor stool ended up in our family room...we decided that it would be lost in the lounge, so now it's the sole tiki element in our cozy den!
Personally, I like the term Gobo, 'cuz she was a Fraggle, but in TV we usually call 'em cookies, short for cucoloris (a very basic light break-up pattern...the name was at some point bastardized & is now used to refer to any pattern).
Thanks again for the comps...it's still a work in progress, and one that we love to share with the extended ohana!
peace,
Scottiki

View Profile of Scottiki Send a personal message to Scottiki  Email Scottiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scottiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-03-02 9:31 pm   Permalink

For your amusement, here's the latest addition to our basement escape!

The stairwell to the Moai Lounge featured these lame-o square poles:

So we knocked 'em out, and replaced 'em with decorative ship's rigging:

Ah, much better.

Still don't have the river of lava under the bamboo bridge, but in the meantime, I think I'm gonna play with the stairwell walls...maybe something along the lines of faux black lava rock.

peace,
Scottiki

View Profile of Scottiki Send a personal message to Scottiki  Email Scottiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-02 10:07 pm   Permalink

The coolest home bar gets even cooler! I love the signature wall - I hadnt noticed that before, its a nice touch.

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-03-02 10:25 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-03-02 22:07, hewey wrote:
The coolest home bar gets even cooler!

Indeed, Ah Much Better! Terrific!

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-03 03:22 am   Permalink

Super work.

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
foamy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-03 04:18 am   Permalink

Real nice touch folks. A great way to tiki-fy the railing. Where'd ya come up with the blocks?

View Profile of foamy Send a personal message to foamy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hodadhank
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-03 04:42 am   Permalink

View Profile of hodadhank Send a personal message to hodadhank      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-03 05:39 am   Permalink

very cool scott ~

not to be a killjoy, but (since i deal with these issues all the time) by code you're supposed to not have a more than 4" gap at your stair rails - not that a building inspector is gonna infiltrate your house in a ninja suit . but ye might consider... dunno... maybe another rope in between the rigging top gaps to reduce it a bit. feel free to ignore this free advice

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-03 11:34 am   Permalink

When you get that lava flow thing all worked out, I want full specs and step by steps. Sounds VERY cool. Nice change to the stairs by the way!

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-03-03 7:41 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-03-03 11:34, GatorRob wrote:
When you get that lava flow thing all worked out, I want full specs and step by steps.

Yeah, me too! Please?

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scottiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-03-03 8:44 pm   Permalink

I'll definitely post a step-by-step whenever I figure out what I'm doin'...I know what I want, it's just the age-old issue of transforming imagination into reality. Or something like that.
J$: BUZZKILL!!!
Actually, thanks for mentioning the code stuff...it brings up an interesting question: should I be concerned whether my home bar is up to code? Seriously...if for some godforsaken reason we ever sell the house, naturally I'd make sure everything's up to snuff, but while it's just the 2 of us (and the dogs), it seems like a moot point whether an inspector gives my place a seal of approval or not.
Thoughts?
But as long as it's illegal, I'll happily call the Moai Lounge a speakeasy!
peace,
Scottiki

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation