FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Ľ Ľ Tiki Events Ľ Ľ Other Events Ľ Ľ running with the tikis! Finish Pics!! pg 3
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
running with the tikis! Finish Pics!! pg 3
crazy al
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-15 9:29 pm   Permalink

Crazy AL's Great Tiki Trek!!
SEE AL RUN.
See Lizzy Run.
(ok)
See them walk....
Ok...Get ready for some more wackiness from your Crazy friend....
Iím training to run a marathon!!

What's so tiki about that?

I'm running the Honolulu Marathon!!
I hope the tikis don't want blood that day....

It's not all that Crazy a notion. I'm not going to break any land speed records. Rather, I'll be raising allot of funds for a great cause. I've been dreaming about running a marathon since the 10k runs I did as a thirteen year old. Those days are long-long ago, but my better half Lizzy has got me thinking about this dream again.

The American Stroke Association - Train To End Stroke - has spurred Lizzy into action. It is a program that strives to bring more awareness to the major Stroke problem in the USA. Stoke has affected both of Lizzy's parents. Her dad had a massive stroke when he was 55 years old. It left him paralyzed on his right side & he lost his speech. Which never regained. Lizzy's mom had a stroke last October. Although it was mild, it did have its repercussions. This ASA program just seemed like it was the thing to get her running (ok, maybe walk run walk running). I've decided to join her as Stroke has hit my family and friend's families as well.

The idea is to bring more awareness to us all about Stroke. Until a week ago, I was not aware of these stroke statistics:

every 45 seconds someone suffers a stroke

every 3.1 minutes someone dies of stroke

there are 4.4 million stroke survivors

29% of people who have strokes are under the age of 65

<<<<<<<<THE TIKI PART>>>>>>>>

Although Lizzy and I signed up for the Phoenix Ĺ Marathon, our goal is to walk/run the full one in Hawaii!! the Honolulu Marathon!! (Dec. 11, 2005). I will be training for hundreds of miles over the next five months! Not only training but also I'll be raising over $4000 for the ASA... Yah!!! or is it Yikes! This is the target for a Hawaiian race. But like a marathon allot of little steps get you to the finish line.

I am writing to ask you for your support in this huge effort. Through your generous contribution to the American Stroke Association I am hoping to hit the target set.

I hope to get a special commemorative tiki gift made for those contributors that have been very generous to the cause. But right now I'm stuffing envelopes and gearing up etc...

Some of you will be getting a letter this week with a self addressed stamped envelope. Thanks for taking the time to send a donation back to me. For those of you not receiving letters, you can contribute online and check out my progress!!

https://www.kintera.org/faf/donorReg/donorPledge.asp?ievent=103258&supId=90495245

You can also send a check payable to: AmericanStrokeAssociation

directly to me at po box 553 - Sunset Bch CA 90742

Once again, I will be running in this marathon in hopes to bring awareness to stroke. Because let me tell you, it not only affects the victim, it affects the whole family. If you have a friend or loved one who has been affected by stroke, I would be honored to complete this event in their name as well. Please include the personís name on the response form.

I am really excited about reaching this goal! I look forward to running, walking...(crawling?) on behalf of any one who canít do so due to having a stroke. Many stroke survivors have trained and ran....

I may not want to walk in their shoes....But I can run in mine with them!!

Please help me in reaching the finish line of my fund raising.

Thanks!
STAY TIKI !!
C'AL

[ This Message was edited by: crazy al 2005-12-17 12:33 ]

View Profile of crazy al Send a personal message to crazy al  Email crazy al Goto the website of crazy al     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-15 9:42 pm   Permalink

Hey Al. Good luck with the run, I hope you raise lots of cash.

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SON OF MOTHRA
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-16 07:39 am   Permalink

Good for you, Al. What a great cause. Although my family has been fortunate enough to elude strokes, a co-worker of mine has been plagued with them for almost 13 years. He now has several large areas of his brain that have been irreversibly damaged. His vision is blurred and he can no longer be in any sort of light without sunglasses. He has problems recognizing people he's known for years and he gets easily confused. He doesn't have problems speaking or moving (thank God), but his metal capacity has been forever diminished. This is a man that I've known ever since I was kid. I can only imagine how much it would effect me if he was a part of my family.

I wholeheartedly support your efforts. I know you had my address at one point. If you can't find it shoot me an email.

[ This Message was edited by: SON OF MOTHRA 2005-08-16 07:40 ]

View Profile of SON OF MOTHRA Send a personal message to SON OF MOTHRA  Email SON OF MOTHRA     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-16 09:36 am   Permalink

I'm behind his actions!!!

[ This Message was edited by: RevBambooBen 2005-08-16 09:36 ]

[ This Message was edited by: RevBambooBen 2005-08-30 22:43 ]

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
crazy al
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-16 12:26 pm   Permalink

Right on!!! i heard Ben has stopped smoking for the 50th time!! He's now started a tiki carving work out routine!! He plays the APE CD while swinging an ax on a treadmill!!!

exercising while he makes money!!! I love this guy...

Seriously folks this is not a search for a cure.... for the vast majority of us we already have the cure.... diet and exercise... thats what this is about...

hear is another lovely story that was sent to me... could this happen to you?
"my grandfather suffered several strokes, and ultimately committed suicide as a result. I also work as a speech therapist and have treated many stroke patients with varying degrees of impairment. Thanks for supporting this GREAT cause!"

View Profile of crazy al Send a personal message to crazy al  Email crazy al Goto the website of crazy al     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WooHooWahine
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2005-08-16 1:33 pm   Permalink

WooHoo to Crazy Al & Lizzy for helping to raise $ for this Special Event!!! You definitely have Soccer Tiki's and My Support. Good Luck to You!!!

View Profile of WooHooWahine Send a personal message to WooHooWahine  Email WooHooWahine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-16 1:58 pm   Permalink

You have my support and $$.

Where do I send some dough?

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SoccerTiki

Posted: 2005-08-16 3:48 pm   Permalink

Al, Got the info in the mail today...You can definitely count me in on a contribution.....Lemme break open the piggy bank (mostly paper inside!!!)
SoccerTiki

View Profile of SoccerTiki Send a personal message to SoccerTiki  Email SoccerTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrs. pineapple
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-17 10:20 pm   Permalink

A) Go Al and Lizzy!
Team Pineapple is in for a pledge, if The Pineapples can ride their bikes 585 miles in 7 days, Al n Lizzy can run the Honolulu Marathon!!!

B) When did Ben learn photoshop? Are the kids helping you Ben?

Seriously, you guys can totally do it! It may be the toughest thing you'll ever do, but you can do it!

View Profile of mrs. pineapple Send a personal message to mrs. pineapple      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-18 11:32 pm   Permalink

Aloha TC and the Billions of LURKERS!!!

I got a sneak peek today of our Mr. Crazy Al starting

TIKI # 100 !!!! (not 99, not 101, but 100!!!!!!!!)(whats 100?? a century?? a decade?? Crazy man!)

(I think I heard that this one is going to be auctioned off for the charity of the Stroke. Score! My Grandfather Eli (not Ely ) died from several Sun Strokes ( as they called them back then). Great cause.

It will be a Great TIKI to bid on because more than his heart is going into it. 26 miles!!! Not including the training!!!!!! Arrrrr!!!!

p.s. Hey C'Al. I have another bed to deliver. Wanna help?? Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
crazy al
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-22 9:24 pm   Permalink

here's the latest on tiki#100

christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-23 5:56 pm   Permalink

What a tiki stud.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-29 7:18 pm   Permalink

Wow! I just donated, and it was so easy, and I think it also cured my Sneaky Tiki-induced hangover! Here's the place to do it:

Tiki Trek Donation Page of Crazy Al Evans

Crazy Al's doing all the hard work -- go Al! -- make sure his work isn't for naught, and donate today!

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SoccerTiki

Posted: 2005-08-30 08:20 am   Permalink

Al-What was the final bid for your tiki at the Beach Fest??? Any pictures of it?
SoccerTiki

View Profile of SoccerTiki Send a personal message to SoccerTiki  Email SoccerTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-30 8:54 pm   Permalink

Aloha Tiki Freaks!

Thought I'd donate a couple of things to raise some dough for C'Al's Running wit da Tiki Marathon for the Stroke Society. All proceeds go direct to C'Al's gig. Best offer wins. No reserve.

Here we go.

This Hand (re-designed) Painted over silk screen, Hand Signed to the winner, Long Sleeve cotton t-shirt size xxl, but shrunk down to a xl and used for maybe the last 3-4 years, but always washed and worn during several TIKI BAR installations, by Bamboo Ben for good Karma, very SHAG type e-bay shirt, seen in many TC photos, blah blah blah, Arrrrrrrrr!

Post your bids on this post.

p.s. I'll even throw in a pair of shorts too!!

Front..............

Back...............

p.s. Many years of TIKI KARMA ( blood, sweat and tears, trust me!) on this shirt and shorts (size 34). Do the right thing and bid away!!! It's for a great cause!!! Ely Hedley ( according to Sven and James T. ) aka Eli my Grand Father, the Original Beachcomber, died from 7 strokes. This is a great thing the C'Al's are doing. Go!
Go People Go!

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation