FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Events » » Other Events » » Jab's Southern Tiki Road Trip - pictures added
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Jab's Southern Tiki Road Trip - pictures added
Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-19 12:30 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-08-18 10:14, thejab wrote:
Quote:

On 2005-08-18 02:16, Kon-Hemsby wrote:

There's some good antique clothing and furniture stores at Little Five Points in Atlanta. Hey I even met blues legend Lazy Lester browsing around in one of them.

That's the kind of inside info I'm looking for that the guide books don't often mention. Thanks!

Just to mention that Little Five Points I mentioned is a district of Atlanta
http://www.l5p.com/areamap.html

The Hatch Show Print place in Nashville is worth a visit. You can pick up some really nice repro's of show posters made in the same old style that look great.

[ This Message was edited by: Kon-Hemsby 2005-08-19 00:31 ]

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mystiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-19 11:37 pm   Permalink

I'm being nosey...but great thread for Southern stop tips!
Jab, please report back with your review of the Nashville spots. The hubby and I are visiting in Nov.

Thx.

View Profile of Mystiki Send a personal message to Mystiki  Email Mystiki Goto the website of Mystiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-20 01:32 am   Permalink

Also go to the County Music Hall of Famer and do the tour of RCA Studio B, where Elvis cut many of his biggest hits.

Interesting place.

If you have time to take in a show at the Ryman, it's a great atmosphere, then over the back wall of Tootsie's or Roberts for some more music and booze.

There's a bar called the Beer Sellar which can get a bit full with college students but they have over 200 different beers.

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-09-28 6:25 pm   Permalink

Hide yer booz and yer daughters! I leave for Nashville tomorrow!

My intinerary is almost unchanged but I decided I don't have time to venture into Kentucky this trip (someday the bourbon tour is going to happen).

Thursday 9/29 - fly into Nashville - open night

Friday 9/30 - Country Music Hall of Fame, etc.; dinner at Omni Hut

Saturday 10/1 - drive through Chattanooga (seeing Rock City and other roadside attractions) and on to Atlanta; drinks at Trader Vic's Atlanta; overnight in Atlanta

Sunday 10/2 - explore Atlanta during the day

Monday 10/3 - drive to Macon to visit Georgia Music Hall of Fame in Macon; drive to Augusta; drinks at Hale Tiki; overnight in Augusta

Tuesday 10/4 - drive to Savanna; overnight there

Wednesday 10/5 - drive to Daytona Beach, FL; stop for drinks at Julian's in Ormond Beach; dinner and show at Hawaiian Inn; overnight at Daytona

Thursday 10/6 - drive to Fort Lauderdale and Hukilau!

All single women are invited to meet for a drink (OK, men too). Just send me a PM on Tiki Central, which I'll be checking while on the trip.

I can't wait to meet all you friendly Southern gents and belles. If I don't see you before then, I'll see you at Hukilau!

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-28 10:42 pm   Permalink

Bon Voyage!

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2005-10-19 9:49 pm   Permalink

I started in Nashville, where I found this great old pool hall still open in front of a bowling alley (which was closed for good):

I had a great time at the old honky tonks on Broadway downtown like Robert's Western World:

Across the street from Robert's is this old record shop:

The next morning I had a true southern breakfast of country ham, red eye gravy, grits, eggs, and biscuits with homemade jam at the famous Loveless Cafe west of Nashville. I couldn't resist a glass of sweet iced tea with my meal.

I did some sightseeing, stopping at the Parthenon replica that was built in the late 19th century for an exposition,

the old train station that's now a hotel,

the art deco Frist Center for the Arts,

and the very worthwhile Country Music Hall of Fame. Later I took a few more pictures of Nashville before heading down to Smyrna.

I stopped to get a bottle of rum and drove to the Omni Hut, where I was greeted by Polly, the gracious host and co-owner with her father. I was seated at this table:

This is the room from my table:

The food was great, especially the Teriyaki ribs! The Tahitian Tea was sweet but tasty with the rum added. The service was exceptional. The Omni Hut is a real treasure.

The next day I left for Atlanta along old highway 41 with a detour to the George Dickel distillery.

I had a time warp feeling in this part of Tennessee:

I stopped in Chattanooga to visit the old roadside attraction Rock City Gardens and Fairlyand Caverns, which is a cave-like attraction filled with flourescent dioramas of fairy tales!

What was kind of sad about the place was that the kids that were visiting it didn't seem to have a clue what they were looking at, and their parents didn't seem to care enough to explain it to them.

I arrived in Atlanta later than I had hoped but I managed to make it to Trader Vic's before they closed. It was very slow for a Saturday night. I started with a Peachtree Punch (of course), and also had a Queen's Park Swizzle, Mai Tai, Gun Club Punch, and something else I've forgotten. Joel made every drink with care and all were delicious. Everyone was so friendly that I had fairly lengthy conversations with several people at the bar and I even got a ride to the crazy Clermont Lounge afterwards. I managed to get a couple pictures of the gorgeous decor but this Vic's has been photographed so well before that I mainly tried to just soak it in.

On Sunday I did a lot of shopping. I found a beautiful vintage bamboo bar that I wish I could have taken home with me. If any Atlantans want to check it out it was at the store called Scarlett Rhettro (cringe) and it was reasonably priced at $450 (and the owner said she could give me a better deal).

For dinner I had a superb southern meal at the old fashioned Colonnade Restaurant, of iceberg wedge salad (complete with steak knife to cut the lettuce), crispy, juicy fried chicken , yam souffle with raisins (mmm), fresh yeast rolls and cornbread, and sweet iced tea.

Another classic Atlanta restaurant:

More pics tomorrow.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-19 10:39 pm   Permalink

wow. More pictures now please. Now I say!

thejab

Posted: 2005-10-20 10:19 pm   Permalink

On Monday I left Atlanta for Macon, home of the Georgia Music Hall of Fame. I had lunch at the classic Len Berg's:

Roast beef with gravy, taters, greens, cornbread, and, of course, sweet iced tea.

I had to press the button on the way out!

Also in Macon:

The Georgia Music Hall of Fame covered all Georgia musicians, from blues to jazz to country to rock and soul.

Early guitar and outfit from the B-52s:

Collection of Chet Atkin's memorabilia:

Near Macon was the Ocmulgee National Monument of ancient Native American settlements from 900-1100 AD, and this Streamline Moderne visitors center.

I arrived in Augusta and made it to the Hale Tiki about 9:00. It was totally empty except for the bartender, but I stayed for a few fine drinks. They were out of passion fruit syrup so I didn't get to try a concubine. It's such a beautiful bar, it's a shame more people weren't there to enjoy it on a Monday night.

Across the street from the Hale Tiki:

On Tuesday I had some good pulled pork BBQ and Brunswick Stew at this old joint somewhere on the way to Savannah:

Savannah is a beautiful city. It is so well preserved. Even this 1950s motel was preserved and the rooms upgraded, so it was a real plush place to stay (and a bit of a splurge compared to most of the places I stayed in).

I had a marvelous dinner at Johnny Harris' Restaurant, a local landmark since the 1940's. The main dining room is round with a soaring ceiling with "stars", and cozy wooden booths, each with their own window. Big bands used to play there, and I was happy to hear original 1940s big-band recordings playing from the original wood loudspeakers in the dining room. I ate a meal of BBQ pork (twice in one day!), fried chicken, Brunswick Stew, cole slaw, homemade brown bread, and an old fashioned. The fried chicken was much different from the excellent super crispy battered kind I had in Atlanta. This one had a very thin crust and was almost like BBQ chicken. Both were real juicy unlike that overcooked and dry rotisserie chicken we have all over in California. Their BBQ sauce was very tangy and somewhat vinegary, so I had to buy a bottle to take home. Y'all can get some here:
http://www.johnnyharris.com/ And if you want to know what the heck Brunswick Stew is check this out: http://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/nge/Article.jsp?path=/Folklife/Foodways&id=h-555

Savannah, like New Orleans, is a hard city to capture adequately in pictures, especially at night. You just have to experience the romance of it's streets and many public squares on foot, preferably with drink in hand (like New
Orleans you can drink outside if it's not in glass). It's a place I vowed to return to soon so I could spend more time there.

The next day I headed for the Okeefenokee swamp as the weather got worse. Along the way:

I saw the swamp in a driving rain that made it very atmospheric. I kept looking for 'gators but the only ones I saw were in captivity.

I arrived in Ormond Beach, Florida just in time for a prime rib dinner at Julian's. I'm not sure why but I didn't take any pictures in Daytona - I guess because I have quite a few from previous trips to Florida. Julian's food was great and the entertainment was splendid. I checked out the Hawaiian Inn in Daytona and had a look-see in the showroom at all the Witco. I checked in to the smal 1950s Ocean Court Motel next door to the Hawaiian Inn, cheap and right on the beach (highly recommended for visits to Daytona). I poured myself a bit of George Dickel Barrel Select whiskey and watched the lightning storm over the ocean.

The next day I took old highway one South from Dayton and saw some great old motels:

I had lunch at this drive-in that still had car hops (not on roller skates though):

On Friday night of the Hukilau in Fort Lauderdale, me and Unga Bunga headed up to the dock where the boat takes passengers to Cap's Place, a great old restaurant that used to be a speakeasy and gambling den in the 30s.

They serve a tasty hearts of palm salad. Their fresh palm hearts come from the same farm that they have bought from for decades.

The bar had a great atmosphere, was chock full of photos and memorabilia from the history of the place, and even had a couple of tikis, because it is Florida after all:

Finally, on my last day in Fort Luaderdale, I took some pictures of some of the great mid-century architecture near my motel:

I hope you enjoyed my pictures. I had a great time in the states of Tennessee, Georgia, and Florida. The people were so friendly, the food was always good (ever try hot boiled peanuts along the road in Georgia?), there was history everywhere, and the weather was perfect! Mahalo to Tiki-Kiliki, Swanky, and Tikibars for the travel suggestions and for arranging a heaping helping of that southern hospitality.

pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-21 05:18 am   Permalink

Your travelogs are always a blast to view.
Thanks for the time it takes to post them.

You know, that's the second time we've seen that Hawaii Motel in Daytona or near it, we ought to flash mob that place with some tikis, ukes, drums and rums one night. Maybe during the Hawaiian Inn Winter East Coast Tiki Revival Thing.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-21 05:25 am   Permalink

I loved your trip reports. Thanks a lot, that was fun.

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kava King
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-21 07:39 am   Permalink

-And not a Mal•Wart in SIGHT!
Thank you Jab, for the excellent roadtrip coverage.
Did you see the great resto job on the Moai in Daytona (I think it's a Best Western)? Last year it got thrashed by a hurricane but it's back and looking better than ever.
I'm sorry we didn't get together while you were in Atlanta, but glad that we met at the Mai-Kai (if briefly), and hope to see you again next year!
Now I gotta' go get me some collards 'n cornbread...

View Profile of Kava King Send a personal message to Kava King      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
exotica59
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-21 07:50 am   Permalink

Great trip report. We plan to make a trip south and hope to see some of the things you pointed out.
This is why we always drive to our destinations. I love to stop and enjoy all the flavor of the states we pass through.
We've seen almost all the continental states, it just takes us longer.
We are probably the last two humans left on earth that at our age have never flown in a plane. ( we've been up in 'copters, but no planes). Saving the plane trip for an out of the country trip.
Thanks again, enjoyed the pictures too.

View Profile of exotica59 Send a personal message to exotica59  Email exotica59     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Sperm Whale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-21 08:41 am   Permalink

Jab-
Thanks for taking the time to share you road trip with us. I swear I feel like packing up right now. And It is all your fault.
Thanks Buddy,
Spermy

View Profile of The Sperm Whale Send a personal message to The Sperm Whale  Email The Sperm Whale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-21 09:51 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-10-21 07:39, Kava King wrote:
Did you see the great resto job on the Moai in Daytona (I think it's a Best Western)? Last year it got thrashed by a hurricane but it's back and looking better than ever.

That's the Aku Tiki Inn. Great to hear that the Moai is looking good, but the rest o' the resto sounds like it might be a bit disappointing, read on:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=16446&forum=5

Jab, I didn't think to ask you to snap pics of the Traders Restaurant (attached to the Aku Tiki)! Ah well, we'll probably be there in January.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-21 10:01 am   Permalink

Fantasticalness!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation