FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music Billy Mure is cool!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Billy Mure is cool!
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-26 7:37 pm   Permalink

Very sad.
Twang On Billy.

Thanks for posting Jeff,

Jeff btd

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-27 06:33 am   Permalink

Such a nice man and so full of energy!

I first met him when he was playing his weekly gig in north FL. It was pretty wild as he chatted with some other older folks after his set. They dropped famous names like old friends, which they were.

I went to the house with he and Debbie and we looked at memorabilia from the years and he played and we all sang and had a nice time.

He was in his late 80s then and just crazy full of life and energy!

Just as I remember them in their home!

Happy Music

It was a great treat for me to bring him to Hukilau and spend time with him. At Hukilau 2004, when he first performed, he had to leave to get back to his home like so many others when the hurricane came in. He got home to find the front double-doors of his house blown open and lots of water. Thanks to Jeff to getting me in touch with him to come play.

A wonderful person and a great couple!

Mai-Kai Memories Series Custom ceramic mugs!

[ This Message was edited by: Swanky 2013-09-27 11:27 ]

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kill Devil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-27 07:22 am   Permalink

Sorry I never got to meet Billy Mure. I have many of his albums, my fave is the "Supersonic Guitars in Hi-Fi", with the flaming guitar in re-entry on the cover. In fact there's a series of "Supersonic" albums. Also love "Fireworks", though I don't dig the cheesy background chorus. His Hawaiian stuff is also great (Pink Hawaii, Hawaiian Percussion), esp "Hawaiian War Chant" which I first heard from a CD-ROM of Hawaiian images and sound clips. I highly recommend anything you can find out there on vinyl, why his stuff was never reissued is ridiculous.

Going back through this thread, I only just now found out about his appearance at Hukilau...Man good thing I wasn't there I think my head would've exploded!

View Profile of Kill Devil Send a personal message to Kill Devil      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-27 10:38 am   Permalink

I agree with you Kill Devil. It's utterly ridiculus that his back catalog has never been reissued. With so much material available you could release a box set!! That's the record biz for ya!

I interviewed Billy twice. Once back in the 90's for Cool and Strange Music Magazine and then about 10 years later for Tiki Magazine. He was always very enthusiastic when talking about his music. He really wanted to see his stuff reissued. His only regret he told me was not writing more originals.

Maybe someday we can get a label to open their ears!!

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation