[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music Turntable guidance
Turntable guidance
Scottiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-08-19 10:58 pm   Permalink

Hey all,

Looking to pick up a turntable, preferably for less than $100, that won't trash my relatively new collection of vinyl.

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance,
Scottiki

View Profile of Scottiki Send a personal message to Scottiki  Email Scottiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2005-08-19 11:42 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-08-19 22:58, Scottiki wrote:

Any recommendations?

Increase your budget.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
vegasvic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-20 10:11 am   Permalink

I agree with Hakalugi, but if you just want something to get started, here's a decent turntable in your price range.

View Profile of vegasvic Send a personal message to vegasvic  Email vegasvic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
UtopianDreem
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-08-21 9:50 pm   Permalink

Here is an older thread with turntable recommendation(s)--might not be in your price range as I didn't check the prices, just did a search on TC:
Need turntable, please help!!!

View Profile of UtopianDreem Send a personal message to UtopianDreem  Email UtopianDreem     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
vintagegirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-22 01:33 am   Permalink

This might fit into your price range. And DJ Lee tells me he trusts his own valuable vinyl with it too!

http://www.dionysusrecords.com/turntable/

View Profile of vintagegirl Send a personal message to vintagegirl  Goto the website of vintagegirl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cheekytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-22 03:23 am   Permalink

Buy secondhand

View Profile of cheekytiki Send a personal message to cheekytiki  Email cheekytiki Goto the website of cheekytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-22 09:33 am   Permalink

A good turntable makes your vinyl sound better than CD's. Nice curvy soundwaves vs binary sound. It's like a drawing vs a fax. "Project" do a decent starter turntable (the Debut III) which is actually more than sufficient for most peoples needs. I'm happy with mine!

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/category-1.cfm/Category/104

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FreakBear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-22 09:34 am   Permalink

I was able to find a modern, inexpensive, automatic turntable for under $100 several years ago. I wouldn't play my albums on anything less. The "automatic" and "elevate arm" features are essential for not scratching your prized LPs. Seems like I've seen one of these at Radio Shack most recently.

If you ever find yourself in Dayton Ohio, check out the Oregon District. There's a few boutiques that have second-hand and vintage turntables, etc. for great prices! Most I've seen there are pretty deluxe set-ups for within your price-range.

View Profile of FreakBear Send a personal message to FreakBear      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scottiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-08-22 10:45 am   Permalink

Thank you all for the super-helpful tips...I know my budget's lower than it oughta be, and I plan on upgrading in the not-too-distant future, but right now I'm still recovering from the initial costs incurred by putting my home tiki bar together.
So for now, that numark looks pretty sweet, and I'll pay a visit to Rat Shack as well.
I had searched the archives before posting, but the previous threads I found seemed to have a higher budget than mine.
Thanks again for the advice...I love Tiki Central!

peace,
Scottiki

View Profile of Scottiki Send a personal message to Scottiki  Email Scottiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dimethios
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-22 11:07 pm   Permalink

I still stick by recommendation. You can find them used and in fine shape. Plus there is a onslaught of cartridges for it. Check you local pawn shops and bring a test record with you. You can prob pick one up for just over $100.

View Profile of Dimethios Send a personal message to Dimethios      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation