Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving burning
burning
HelloTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-22 11:35 am   Permalink

I DID use search, but could not find the process that some of you use for the burnt effects (shading)especiaaly on large Tikis. Any hints??

View Profile of HelloTiki Send a personal message to HelloTiki  Email HelloTiki Goto the website of HelloTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-22 2:17 pm   Permalink

Try a propane torch, or one of those little ones they use in professional kitchens to carmelize sugar on top of creme brulee.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-22 3:44 pm   Permalink

Hello Hello,

I use a propane torch with the canister thing ($3.00) I think the kit (nozzle & extra tips for plumbing solder) costs around $20

They burn nice and evenly

Mahalo

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-22 3:46 pm   Permalink

I read an article in a hot rod magazine once on tiki carving. They used a butane torch from the hardware store.

Their advice was to use it like a paintbrush, and slowly build up the colour/definition. A little bit at a time, stand back and eyeball it, then a little more. Only use it for highlights. Have some water close by just in case?

Good luck, take plenty of pics

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2005-08-23 12:57 am   Permalink

Of course there's always this method:

Photo courtesy of Krustiki.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-23 06:35 am   Permalink

Yeh, there is always that method. Depends on the look you ar going for. Weathered or charcoal

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-23 08:58 am   Permalink

I hope that burning tiki turned out fine cause it would be a shame to wreck one that cool. But, the photo is super sweet.

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-23 1:41 pm   Permalink

The torch works good . I pored a small (very small) amount of a flamible liquid in this guys mouth and lit 'em up . Just be safe..

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-24 12:32 pm   Permalink

I think that burning is really used Mostly for smoothing chainsaw cuts. You then use a stiff wire brush to brush away the black and it leaves a very smoothe finish. I used to use the torch to remove the palm splinters, it works very well.
Try the torch on a hardwood carving one time and you may use the grinder less.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation