FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Central Ohana South Florida... keep everything nailed down for us!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
South Florida... keep everything nailed down for us!
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-25 12:07 pm   Permalink

How's it going? We have another month to go and someone turned the tropics on again!

Stay safe though this one!

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Palama Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-25 1:53 pm   Permalink

Thanks Lake!

View Profile of Palama Tiki Send a personal message to Palama Tiki  Email Palama Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki_kiliki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-25 6:29 pm   Permalink

Don't worry about the Florida ohana guys. We are actually evacuated already and safe. Tikilicious & Steve and I are at my boyfriends house in Brevard County. Will head to Atlanta for Tiki Torch Nights tomorrow.

Thanks for thinking of us!

The Hukilau

View Profile of tiki_kiliki Send a personal message to tiki_kiliki  Email tiki_kiliki Goto the website of tiki_kiliki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sailor Curt
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-08-26 10:18 am   Permalink

What with Katrina now having moved into the Gulf of Mexico, the same "stay safe" is now extended to all you west coast Floridians and those living in the Panhandle.

Sailor Curt

View Profile of Sailor Curt Send a personal message to Sailor Curt  Email Sailor Curt Goto the website of Sailor Curt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
joefla70
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-26 11:50 am   Permalink

Lenore,

I thought you guys go to the Mai Kai when hurricanes come a blowin!

Actually, the Hurricane spared Ft. Lauderdale and took a turn to the south and hit the same folks that got wacked by Hurricane Andrew (almost 13 years ago to the day).

View Profile of joefla70 Send a personal message to joefla70  Email joefla70     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DawnTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-27 3:24 pm   Permalink

Hold on tight New Orleans and the Gulf Coast ohana...

[ This Message was edited by: DawnTiki 2005-08-27 15:32 ]

View Profile of DawnTiki Send a personal message to DawnTiki  Email DawnTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikivixen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-27 3:51 pm   Permalink

Oh crap, not AGAIN.

Good luck, PJ, New Orleans and all...I'm so sorry.

my kitties are casting protection spells for you,

tikivixen

View Profile of tikivixen Send a personal message to tikivixen      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki410
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-28 10:21 am   Permalink

Has anyone heard from PJ?????? PJ let us know that you are okay.

Personnally we were able to bug out early.

If there are any other New Orleans, Metairians, Panhandlers, Mobilites etc. Please let us know you are okay or at least out of harms way.

View Profile of tiki410 Send a personal message to tiki410  Email tiki410     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DawnTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-28 11:18 am   Permalink

She sent me a short little email last night saying she was loading up and heading out Baton Rouge way first thing this morning. Glad to know your outta there tiki410.

View Profile of DawnTiki Send a personal message to DawnTiki  Email DawnTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-28 12:17 pm   Permalink

I'm watching the weather channel today and I gotta say that I am really worried about this storm for anyone in its path.
If you are in the way or know ANYONE who is please get out in time and convince those who haven't packed up to do so immediately!!!!!! It looks like a lot of people will drown if caught in the low areas and theres too few options to flee by highway.

I will do my part by keeping an eye on the skies here in MO and will catch any falling mugs so they don't smash.

If you are the praying type, Begin now. This could be like the Tsunami plus incredible winds and rain. Take care everyone!

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki410
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-28 1:43 pm   Permalink

Dawntiki, Thanks for the update . . . if you speak to her again give her my best.

Falling mugs. . . I was able to bring Bob, Shecky and a few others but I left a few brethren behind. I was only able to pack one small box and had to make some really, really hard choices. It made me think for a while as to why I was spending so much time collecting this stuff.

I remember watching an episode of Queer Eye for the Straight Guy and they had this one person that broke a nice shaker that was purchased for him and I remember him saying to himself something along the lines "This is the reason why you don't buy nice things" over and over again. I really felt sorry for the individual and what would make him feel that way.

We sit here and watch the weather channel and the wife is crying and I try to convince her that everything is alright. What really sucks is that there many of us still thinking Katrina's "going to make that right turn" and NO will be saved. The double suck is that if you believe that then you are saying that its okay for the people in Miss, Ala. and Fla to get crapped on and they have had more than their share for a while.

There are a lot of emotions going on right now . . . concern for jobs (not personnaly have laptop will travel), school for children, etc.

I can continue but I am tired of this sh.t. I think I saw a place that said upscale flea market. I will check it out tomorrow. If I am stuck here I might as well as go to Washington, LA (thats where I scored my first mug in the wild). I also noticed that there are 2 new Goodwills. I will make the run tomorrow. Time to start anew......................

Tikiwahine, Rob Roy, and AquaJ. . . I still got you on my list for Bob. "Keeping eyes peeled for the good score tomorrow and the next day and the next day and ....".

View Profile of tiki410 Send a personal message to tiki410  Email tiki410     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikivixen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-28 2:15 pm   Permalink

Here's a link to an interesting series of articles featuring a researcher who must be feeling like one depressed Cassandra right now:

http://americanradioworks.publicradio.org/features/wetlands/hurricane1.html

I think a lot of folks don't understand how bad this is--including many New Orleanians. I read a quote from one gal yesterday who said something like "If we can cope with Mardi Gras we can handle a hurricane." Riiight. I hope when she saw the Category 5 upgrade that she changed her mind and RAN.

I quote from a wiser New Orleans fellow's recent blog:

"In 2002, an American Red Cross estimate found 25,000 to 100,000 people would be killed if a major hurricane hit the New Orleans area."

Not only that, but studies have shown that even a hard brush from the edge of a Category Five could drown New Orleans under twenty to thirty feet of contaminated water and debris. Considerable loss of life would be a given.

Let's hope the Red Cross was WRONG, but I think we should probably be expecting the worst. This is heartbreaking.

I am so VERY glad to hear that so many tiki ohana have headed for higher ground!!! Let's hope everyone else is doing the same.

View Profile of tikivixen Send a personal message to tikivixen      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-28 2:23 pm   Permalink

You guys are in my thoughts, I hope this one blows over in the good way, not the bad way; that the impact on lives is more on the inconvenience end of the scale than the devastation end.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikivixen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-28 2:24 pm   Permalink

From the National Hurricane Center:

Strike Probabilities--

CHANCES OF CENTER OF THE HURRICANE PASSING WITHIN 65 NAUTICAL MILES
OF LISTED LOCATIONS THROUGH 1PM CDT WED AUG 31 2005

PROBABILITIES IN PERCENT
A IS PROBABILITY FROM NOW TO 1PM MON
FOLLOWING ARE ADDITIONAL PROBABILITIES
B FROM 1PM MON TO 1AM TUE
C FROM 1AM TUE TO 1PM TUE
D FROM 1PM TUE TO 1PM WED
E IS TOTAL PROBABILITY FROM NOW TO 1PM WED
X indicates less than zero percent

A B C D E
PENSACOLA FL 9 8 1 X 18
MOBILE AL 25 5 X X 30
GULFPORT MS 36 2 X X 38
BURAS LA 52 X X X 52
NEW ORLEANS LA 46 X X 1 47
NEW IBERIA LA 31 1 X X 32

Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-28 6:20 pm   Permalink

This one has the potential to be something you remember for the rest of your life. One of those "Where were you when..." type events. I hope not. I love New Orleans and hate to think of what might happen to the people and to the historic landmarks of the city and the Quarter. All good luck to you in Louisiana and nearby.

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation