Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Need a Substitute for Pussers
Need a Substitute for Pussers
Mano Tiki Tia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-26 3:57 pm   Permalink

I'll be making up a big ol' batch o' pain killers, for my 30th b-day bash, and was wondering if there is a less expensive substitue for pussers. I Really like Pussers but don't want to make a bunch with the "good" stuff.

View Profile of Mano Tiki Tia Send a personal message to Mano Tiki Tia  Email Mano Tiki Tia     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-08-26 4:31 pm   Permalink

Perhaps Cruzan Black Strap would be a good substitute since it is marketed as a Navy style rum. It should be available at Trader Joe's. It's not as complex as Pussers but it may do for a painkiller.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
the drunken hat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-27 10:44 am   Permalink

personally i would think that black strap would be WAY too strong for a painkiller. it is also waaaaay darker in color.

really there is nothing else (that i have found)like pusser's. but if i were going to sub something i would use a gold or amber rum. i would lean toward the amber. i was recently introduced to a barbados rum called rinaldo's it has a similar color and bouquet to the pusser's but lack's the kick at 80 pr. you may also want to try the trader vic's royal amber rum. it may work in a painkiller as well.

[ This Message was edited by: the drunken hat 2005-08-27 10:45 ]

View Profile of the drunken hat Send a personal message to the drunken hat  Email the drunken hat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mano Tiki Tia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-29 09:45 am   Permalink

thanks
I was thinking something in the amber persuasion. i think the black strap would be way too strong. But was just thinking maybe someone had a surefire near replacement.

View Profile of Mano Tiki Tia Send a personal message to Mano Tiki Tia  Email Mano Tiki Tia     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PiPhiRho

Posted: 2005-08-29 11:35 am   Permalink

Appleton Estate has been on sale at Trader Joe's. It's generally a good rum and it's not that far off. You might be able to use it to stretch the pusser's.

View Profile of PiPhiRho Send a personal message to PiPhiRho  Email PiPhiRho Goto the website of PiPhiRho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2005-08-29 12:14 pm   Permalink

You're right drunkenhat that Black Strap is darker and much more smokey in flavor than Pusser's, so it's probably going to overpower the drink.

The gold rums mentioned are going to be just as unlike Pusser's in taste as Black Strap is, just in a different way (too mellow).

The original poster is looking for inexpensive rums (say around $10) and Appleton Estate isn't really inexpensive (at around $20-25).

I think a full-bodied brown rum may be the best substitute. One of the best deals is Bacardi Select at only around $15 a bottle.

http://www.internetwines.com/mb1240084.html

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kick_the_reverb
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-29 12:52 pm   Permalink

I don't think there is a cheap substitute for Pussser's, besides its strength (which will require alteration of the recipe if using a substitute), it has a very distinct woody flavor. Black Strap tastes like Molasses (or as Humuhumu said - it's like a Molasses Liquoer) so I doubt that's going to solve anything. Pusser's sells for around $19 at HiTime, and anything remotely close sells at around that range (but is weaker, so it'll end up being more expensive).

Ran

View Profile of kick_the_reverb Send a personal message to kick_the_reverb  Email kick_the_reverb Goto the website of kick_the_reverb     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-29 2:00 pm   Permalink

I'm not sure if these are available where you are but I go through these like a demon:

Both are Scottish - perhaps Scotland is the last bastion for decent demeraras...

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Numb Davey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-29 2:15 pm   Permalink

I could not agree with me mate, Trader Woody, more..Caledonia is the place for GREAT Demerara Rum.
Just a wee nip will do ye, Hoots Mon!

View Profile of Rum Numb Davey Send a personal message to Rum Numb Davey  Email Rum Numb Davey Goto the website of Rum Numb Davey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Numb Davey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-29 2:15 pm   Permalink

I could not agree with me mate, Trader Woody, more..Caledonia is the place for GREAT Demerara Rum.
Just a wee nip will do ye, Hoots Mon!

View Profile of Rum Numb Davey Send a personal message to Rum Numb Davey  Email Rum Numb Davey Goto the website of Rum Numb Davey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Doctor Z
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-29 6:46 pm   Permalink

I brought a bottle of Watson's home with me when I was in Scotland a few summers ago - good stuff! But as a substitute for Pussers? I dunno...
Ask for it by name!

View Profile of Doctor Z Send a personal message to Doctor Z  Email Doctor Z     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation