FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki I didn't know Daniel Balsz passed away!?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
I didn't know Daniel Balsz passed away!?
Tom Slick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-26 11:44 pm   Permalink

was this discussed here and i missed it?

Balsz, Daniel (79)
Died August 5 at his Las Vegas home. Former L.A. night club owner of "The Tikis," he is survived by his wife Sharon, four kids, seven grandkids. Services held August 12, at Calvary Cemetery, Los Angeles. (323) 261-3106
Published in the Los Angeles Times on 8/11/2005.

View Profile of Tom Slick Send a personal message to Tom Slick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-27 02:36 am   Permalink

No. I am speechless. Thank you for catching this. He was a great character.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
procinema29
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-27 2:24 pm   Permalink

Those late-night drums from my childhood will be remembered forever.

View Profile of procinema29 Send a personal message to procinema29      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-27 4:52 pm   Permalink

Here's an old thread I dug up about Danny Balsz and The Tikis. Interesting stuff although a bit sad. At least we still have the mugs (if anyone has an extra red one they'd like to unload let me know).

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=1460&forum=1&hilite=balsz

View Profile of Kenike Send a personal message to Kenike  Email Kenike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitortured
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-28 10:13 pm   Permalink

Hey Tom Slick, your first post on TC and you pulled THAT one out of yer hat? Right past the Grand Honorary Poo-Bahs? Good one!

View Profile of tikitortured Send a personal message to tikitortured  Email tikitortured Goto the website of tikitortured     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
valcano
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-08-29 08:09 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-08-28 22:13, tikitortured wrote:
Hey Tom Slick, your first post on TC and you pulled THAT one out of yer hat? Right past the Grand Honorary Poo-Bahs? Good one!

Have a little taste....I'm glad you're so excited.

View Profile of valcano Send a personal message to valcano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitortured
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-29 11:59 am   Permalink

Taste? Uh...ok, I'll try really really hard to have more "taste" for you Volcano. Golly gosh, I shoulda taken Cherry Capri's etiquette course when I had the chance.

View Profile of tikitortured Send a personal message to tikitortured  Email tikitortured Goto the website of tikitortured     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-29 12:14 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-08-29 11:59, tikitortured wrote:
I shoulda taken Cherry Capri's etiquette course when I had the chance.

Let me know when you go, because I need to go too.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Primo Kimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-29 4:33 pm   Permalink

Awww Nuts! I always thought I might share a moment with guy before he cashed in. But then again I guess I shared something more... a like mind. I feel a kin to Mr. Balsz as a man driven, often against common sense.
Cheers to Danny Balsz!
Lord knows this man had 'em.

View Profile of Primo Kimo Send a personal message to Primo Kimo  Email Primo Kimo Goto the website of Primo Kimo ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Nightmaretony
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-10-02 10:03 pm   Permalink

I got blessed in seeing both places, but never getting to enjoy them fully.

monterey Park: I grew up in Commerce where my parents still are. Went to school nearby, Bosco Tech, rode my bike sometimes, so was about 14. This would be round 77 or so.
Tiki's was a fascinating looking place on the drive by. when I biked, I decided to sneak in. The place was closed, the rides not running. A kiddie coaster into some rock caverns. a Traver Tumble Bug, kiddie version. Some swan boats marooned dry and sitting in an empty lakebed. I mourned for the place. Farther down on the south side, it looked like more caves, turned out to be a restaurant. VERY dark in there, waiters preparing for the night crowds, so it was actually closed, just getting ready. Went back up the hill round a train track course, dont recall the train. A llama in a cager spit at me. Missed me, but the smell was vERY gross.

Sadly, it was all torn down and is now a storage place, that one chain with all orange, whatever they are.

Anyhoo, couple of years later, former friend invites me to a haunted house at lake elsinore, at Tiki's. They have a giant pumpkin baloon and either 7 or 12 spotlights. I asked if it was the same Tiki's when I got there, they said yup, they moved. I remember a headless horseman on his horse riding round. The haunt wasnt a building one, but a dirt pathway, a roadway.

Ironically, I now live out near Lake Elsinore, and I always wondered what happened to Tiki's. Couldnt find ANYONE with the answer. And for the second delicious irony, I picked up the haunted house bug, am getting ready for opening my own.

but Tiki's is a past memoery I do mourn, even though I never got to fully experience it. Thanks for letting me glimpse of it once again.

Is there any book or picture or video resources about it on here? I ended up doing a search when Danny's name came up from there.

Anyhoo, thanks again.

View Profile of Nightmaretony Send a personal message to Nightmaretony  Email Nightmaretony Goto the website of Nightmaretony     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
paranoid123
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-03 11:46 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-10-02 22:03, Nightmaretony wrote:

monterey Park: I grew up in Commerce where my parents still are. Went to school nearby, Bosco Tech, rode my bike sometimes, so was about 14. This would be round 77 or so.
Tiki's was a fascinating looking place on the drive by. when I biked, I decided to sneak in. The place was closed, the rides not running. A kiddie coaster into some rock caverns. a Traver Tumble Bug, kiddie version. Some swan boats marooned dry and sitting in an empty lakebed. I mourned for the place. Farther down on the south side, it looked like more caves, turned out to be a restaurant. VERY dark in there, waiters preparing for the night crowds, so it was actually closed, just getting ready. Went back up the hill round a train track course, dont recall the train. A llama in a cager spit at me. Missed me, but the smell was vERY gross.

Sadly, it was all torn down and is now a storage place, that one chain with all orange, whatever they are.

I grew up in Monterey Park and my parents still live there now. Unfortunately, I was a few decades too late, as The Tikis was long closed by the time I was born. I was really shocked when I got my copy of "Tiki Roadtrip" to read that Monterey Park was the site of a amusement part, and tiki themed at that. Monterey Park went through a lot of population and cultural changes ad it is now largely a Chinese/Latino area and decidedly pretty 'unhip', so it's difficult to imagine there ever being a place like The Tikis.

View Profile of paranoid123 Send a personal message to paranoid123      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-03 12:01 pm   Permalink

Correction again :

The Tikis (it's correct spelling, NOT "The Tiki's") was NEVER a hip place to begin with, it was all blue collar cheesiness for the masses!

Don, Vic and Steve would have shuddered in disgust had they ever witnessed the goings on there...but that's why we love it!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Nightmaretony
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-10-25 9:46 pm   Permalink

And last night, I went to meet a friend who has a haunt business. Turns out he was the driving force behind the Tiki's haunt way back when! Will be asking mucho questions and looking for pictures, will keep ya updated.....

View Profile of Nightmaretony Send a personal message to Nightmaretony  Email Nightmaretony Goto the website of Nightmaretony     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
procinema29
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-26 10:24 pm   Permalink

Now, THAT would make an interesting story. Pictures would make it even better! I love tiki and I love me some Halloween spooky stuff, so consider me double interested!

View Profile of procinema29 Send a personal message to procinema29      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Nightmaretony
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-10-31 06:53 am   Permalink

didnt get a go this year, my website about my haunted house under construction is at www.nightmarepark.com. I have seen most every theme imnaginable for hauntings, but I am wondering, why NOT a tiki based haunted house? The exotic and scary things of the night are quite perfect there...

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation