FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Central Ohana Thoughts for PJ
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Thoughts for PJ
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-28 8:35 pm   Permalink

Sure hope you're safe and sound, purple jade.
Any other of our LA (the other LA) ohana, as well.

This is going to be a big disaster for you even if it dies back a lot.
Please let us know how you're doing when the opportunity affords itself.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikivixen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-28 10:47 pm   Permalink

On this thread http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=16258&forum=6&start=0

DawnTiki said she'd heard from PJ and that she was headed for Baton Rouge this morning.

View Profile of tikivixen Send a personal message to tikivixen      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-29 08:22 am   Permalink

I hope she's safe and her home is spared.

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-29 08:53 am   Permalink

PJ - if you can - log in & let us know you are OK!

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-29 09:54 am   Permalink

I hope everything is OK... I quadruple that motion!

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Turbogod
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-29 10:00 am   Permalink

I'll go so far as to quintuple that motion. Hope all is going well PJ.
-TURBO G.
Purple Jade's Subway Riding Posse.

View Profile of Turbogod Send a personal message to Turbogod      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-29 10:28 am   Permalink

PJ and family took their kittys to Baton Rouge early Sunday morning. Hopefully they are fine. New Orleans took almost a direct hit but Katrina didn't quite have the punch everyone anticipated. I'm sure there is Major damage but from what I see it is not as bad as it could have been.
I'm waiting and watching for good news.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-29 2:03 pm   Permalink

I know no news from PJ, but I have heard from a friend who *stayed* in his home in the French Quarter (!) and all was well there at that time (@ 10:00 AM my time). There was no water in the house and the pumps for the streets in his area were holding.

As of 1:00 PM there, the levees were holding (built only to withstand Category 3!), save one breech which was not catastrophic. The 5-ness of the storm did cease before it hit New Orleans, and it veered east. Good for NOLA, bad for Gulfport, Pass Christian, Mississippi in general, etc.

When I told one of my New Orleans refugee houseguests over the phone (from school here) that I'd seen internet footage of Gulfport WITH THE GULF OF MEXICO IN THE STREETS (NOT rain!), she quipped, "Weeeell, Gulfport is really just a buncha strip malls; it's not gonna be too hard to replace it! Not like New Orleans!!"

I'd sure hate to be one of the 8-10,000 in the Superdome with no electricity. You coastal Californians just don't KNOW heat 'til you've been in that city. And I've never been there without being to escape, running from my AC'd car to the AC'd buildings! Phoenix was withering at 103 degrees, but that Southern humidity thang, baby. *Man*

Going home to my houseguests (2 humans and a canine) and to watch news footage. Keep those states in your prayers.

alice b

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DawnTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-29 2:16 pm   Permalink

PJ update:

The hotel she is staying in in Baton Rouge has no power and doesn't know when
they will have power back up, they do have a generator but only enough
juice for 6 days, so they will only be powering it up at night. She
was told she may be looking at a month before power is restored back
in N.O.
She still doesn't have a clue how her house did through the storm,
although from the images she has seen on the local news stations,
based on landmarks she can recognize, she thinks her house may be
sitting in up to two feet of water right now. But she has no real idea
when she will be able to make it back home to check it out to see if
there was any damage or not. She seems to have a pretty positive
attitude, that even if her house is sitting in 2 feet of water it
could have been much worse.
Please keep your fingers crossed for PJ and all our other Gulf Coast Tiki Central members and their friends and families.

[ This Message was edited by: DawnTiki 2005-08-29 14:16 ]

View Profile of DawnTiki Send a personal message to DawnTiki  Email DawnTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-29 2:39 pm   Permalink

Dawntiki, tell PJ to come on over to Houston and stay with me! Seriously!

I think she has an aged cat or 5, though, which would be the only hitch, since one guest, "Bear," is a big black lab. But if she's feline-free, my living room convert-a-bed couch is free. Please let her know. I'll PM you to give you my phone number in case she doesn't still have it.

alice b

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-29 4:26 pm   Permalink

PJ I hope everything is well at your place, and wish you & your kitties a quick return home to an intact household!

[ This Message was edited by: Tikiwahine 2006-08-15 11:04 ]

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
vintagegirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-30 01:42 am   Permalink

Man O Man, my prayers are with you PJ! They're already saying this is the biggest relief effort the Red Cross has started so far. Now that you're still ok, I hope your home is too.

And here's hoping and praying for all the other unfortunate people there too.

View Profile of vintagegirl Send a personal message to vintagegirl  Goto the website of vintagegirl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-30 08:44 am   Permalink

Wow. 2 feet of water? A month before you can go home?

PJ - if you read this, please let us know if we can do anything for you & your family...

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-30 10:00 am   Permalink

*crap*

I heard more levees have burst. The Quarter has flooded. I have no idea how much/high/far.

Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-30 10:11 am   Permalink

Crap is right! What a terrible situation. What happens now? Since they can't simply wait for the flood water to recede, but rather (I assume, perhaps incorrectly) have to rebuild the levees and pump out all that water, does that mean that all that has to be completed before Purple Jade can even go back to find out how her home has fared? Oof. Having to wait without being able to do anything about it would make me bonkers.

I'll echo what others have said -- Purple Jade, if there's anything we can do to alleviate what you're going through, please let us know.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation