FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Davez-tikiz - finally finished Lono 6-11 p.10
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
Davez-tikiz - finally finished Lono 6-11 p.10
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-15 11:18 am   Permalink

Ditto what Conga said, looking really great. But you better hurry up and finish this guy before GMAN sic's a pig on'ya for bringing up his "FOOT FETISH", He's gonna get you!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-15 5:52 pm   Permalink

Feet actually creep me out....and my hogs mostly only play dead

Sweet chops Dave. You made me smile today in an otherwise smile-less day.

-Gman

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-02-15 6:25 pm   Permalink

Great update on your carving! he's really coming along nicely. How tall is the tiki on the pole?

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Davez_tikiz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-21 9:16 pm   Permalink

McTiki, Conga, Dale... thanks! Came back with lots of ideas... and the flu

Ben, G, Poly.. thanks as well... it was great to come back to such great praise. The pole itself is 8' tall... but the tiki from toes to forehead is about 3 1/2 feet.

I'll be back on it ASAP... gotta kick this flu crap!

Aloha,

Dave

View Profile of Davez_tikiz Send a personal message to Davez_tikiz  Email Davez_tikiz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Davez_tikiz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-01 07:52 am   Permalink

Alright.... feelin better... back to work!!!!

progress on the tiki hut Ku pole..

finished the headress...

and the back....

and a little progress on Lono.... headress stuff.

View Profile of Davez_tikiz Send a personal message to Davez_tikiz  Email Davez_tikiz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Davez_tikiz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-04 8:26 pm   Permalink

Here it is after one coat of stain...

I rerally like it... except for in some parts, there is a big diff between the darkest stain and the lightest... here's a pic showing the contrast...

For example, the top of his chest and feet are really dark, whereas some spots around his knees and upper arms are really light. It's only had onecoat so far.

Is there any way to help this? Should I sand the darker areas? Just add second and third coats to the lighter areas? Just add more coats to everything and it will lessen? Just live with it?

I'm use to palm wood... which pretty much stains evenly. I do really like it... and the differences make it look kind of aged.. I'm just wondering if I can help it a little... any thoughts?

HOUSE OF KU
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-05 01:25 am   Permalink

Aloha, have you tried some Min Wax pre stain, wood conditioner yet? http://www.minwax.com/products/woodprep/prestain.cfm .You could put in a small trigger sprayer or small hand pressure pot with more capacity. There's also stain/dye pens to spot darken the light areas if another coat of stain doesn't do it for you. I don't like the Min wax ones too much, alot of solvents and takes a while to fully dry. Sometimes the solvents in the clear coat reactivates the restained areas and turns it back to liquid and wipe off the color when you a brush. Some woodCraft stores carry a type of stain pen similar to marsh pens, I think Alchol based which dries quickly and allows multiple coats of color. Just color in and wipe/dab with your finger or rag(rag will take off alot) to blend in the area. Hope this offers another option. Aloha, Freddie

_________________[ This Message was edited by: HOUSE OF KU 2007-03-05 01:45 ]

[ This Message was edited by: HOUSE OF KU 2007-03-05 01:57 ]

View Profile of HOUSE OF KU Send a personal message to HOUSE OF KU  Email HOUSE OF KU     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Davez_tikiz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-05 05:26 am   Permalink

Freddie... thanks for the tip. I had not heard of pre-stain... but it sounds like it would have been the right choice (had I know before..) I'll try another coat and then use one of the products you mention...

cool... another trip to Lowes!

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-05 06:12 am   Permalink

Excellent stuff here Davez. Yes, the pre-stain or Stain sealer or sanding sealer or clear stain,, they will All work on this Wild Pine grain. Try sanding it with 150 grit and NO Higher to get the stain to penetrate better too. When you sand it with finer grits, the wood poores get closed and clogged up and the stain will not soak in. After you stain and it dries, then you can sand finer for the final finish.
keep up the Really nice work.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-23 10:05 pm   Permalink

Here's an update of Davez latest work:

I didn't get a close up of it because after this photo, my disc was full.

But earlier in the day, Tikimecula showed Dave(and myself) the wonderous applications of his band saw. It is a called band saw right?

A future davez tikiz project in its infancy, guest starring Tikimecula on band saw

Look for more posts from Davez Tikiz Soon!

Davez Visiting Poster Buzzy Out!

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Davez_tikiz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-23 11:03 pm   Permalink

Wow... imagine my surprise to check in and find that I've got a real live tiki man posting updates for me Thanks Buzz.... I'll be at Monkeyman's this Saturday if you wanna post some more progress!!!!

Davez_tikiz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-11 3:09 pm   Permalink

Well, I finally got off my butt and finished this one... sort of. Not sealed yet... rough sanded for outside in the backyard.

GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-11 3:51 pm   Permalink

Very nice job Dave! That's a great outdoor piece. Looks like you've got the body thang down really well now. Glad to see you around here too!

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-11 4:51 pm   Permalink

Welcome back to the carving world. Should be proud of that one. Somehow, rough sanding for yard tikis is the way to go, after a bit of weathering they look real authentic.

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-11 5:32 pm   Permalink

Yeah, 'bout time you got back to work, howewver the time away seemed to help your tiki art. Nice Stuff, now Back to work, No Rest this time!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation