FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Coconut Monkeys
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Coconut Monkeys
hanford_lemoore
Proprietor

Posted: 2005-09-03 2:52 pm   Permalink

Discuss all your Coconut Monkey needs here in this topic.

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore - changed subject to reflect topic content - 2006-11-14 01:19 ]

View Profile of hanford_lemoore Send a personal message to hanford_lemoore  Email hanford_lemoore Goto the website of hanford_lemoore     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-03 3:06 pm   Permalink

Thanks for sharing those, badmojo. Your coconut monkeys have a lot of great details, I especially like your father's monkey. I'll be on the lookout for coconut monkeys for you, I see them every now and then. Do you have coconut monkey preferences? I know Mr. Smiley has a large coconut monkey collection. A collection that is large, not that he collect large coconut monkeys. Not that he'd turn his nose up at a large coconut monkey, mind you. I think. I shouldn't speak for him, maybe he prefers small coconut monkeys. I digress. Nice collection!

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thomas
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-03 3:13 pm   Permalink

I had no knowlege of this phenomenon. Wow. Some very impactful and memorable faces there. I think we may have been the only family in America without a coconut monkey. From now on when I have a personal difficulty, I'll know what to blame it on!

Seriously though, thanks for the photos. I've learned something new today!

View Profile of Thomas Send a personal message to Thomas      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
badmojo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-03 3:19 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: badmojo 2006-09-28 19:25 ]

View Profile of badmojo Send a personal message to badmojo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
docwoods
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-03 3:22 pm   Permalink

I have two coconut money heads-one is pretty old,with shell eyes,and the other one I bought at the Hala Kahiki gift shop and is a pirate trying to look menacing,but he's crosseyed,so he just looks goony.I think they're a nice touch of whimsy.

View Profile of docwoods Send a personal message to docwoods  Email docwoods     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-03 4:32 pm   Permalink

Mojo - that one you dont like is the one I left out in the rain, so you can stop fretting now.

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ookoo lady
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-03 5:09 pm   Permalink

Love the coconut monkeys! And you should get extra credit for being the first one to finish the assignment!

View Profile of ookoo lady Send a personal message to ookoo lady      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sweet Daddy Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-03 6:09 pm   Permalink

I love the monkey band. A fine addition to any Tiki bar, I'd say.

Here's my (non-monkey)
coconut head.

[ This Message was edited by: sweet daddy tiki 2006-09-29 09:49 ]

View Profile of Sweet Daddy Tiki Send a personal message to Sweet Daddy Tiki  Goto the website of Sweet Daddy Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Central Poet Laureate

Posted: 2005-09-03 6:39 pm   Permalink

Mojo - I really like those first three monkey heads. They're really expressive. Like your dad's especially.

Doctor Z has quite a collection of Coconut Monkeys (banks mostly), in his tiki bar as well. We seem to find them all the time at garage sales. I think we can establish the connection between coconut monkeys and tiki bars. Doctor Z has one monkey labelled "Beachbum Burt's". I think it was designed to hold a drink glass in its lap. Doctor Z can confirm this for you. Beachbum Burt's was a great Beachcomber/Tiki Restaurant here in Redondo Beach. The other restaurant by the same owner, "The Warehouse", still operates in Marina Del Rey and is a must-see.

I've seen the Coconut Pirate heads as well, but I found a new coconut creature for the first time last weekend - The Coconut Lobster:

Looks like it was cobbled together by some island witchdoctor who's about to animate it. I keep expecting it to start crawling across the floor. Can't wait till I build my outdoor tiki hut/bar so that I can hang this on the wall in some dark corner along with other displays of South Sea fauna.

Sabu

[ This Message was edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy 2005-09-03 19:41 ]

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thomas
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-03 7:44 pm   Permalink

It's very interesting that Sabu just referred to Beachbum Burt's because I was just about to as well, and I just posted to the thread on it:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=2814&forum=5&start=last&7
which had been dormant for about two years. I saw the mention of coconut monkey drinkholder on that thread and was just about to make the connection when Sabu beat me to it. Interesting synchronicity out of the blue there.

View Profile of Thomas Send a personal message to Thomas      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-03 9:12 pm   Permalink

This 'speak no evil' gorilla was given to me by my husband's friend.
When I first started collecting he was totally determined to find something for me, this fellow was found at a garage sale. Somehow, while it was being handed over, Gypsy the dog grabbed it and put several puncture wounds into it. I can't believe I got it away from her without more damage.

This one still has it's guts, the coconut meat rattles around inside.

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-03 10:23 pm   Permalink

I had an uncle who back in the fifties started a company called Tropic Art Novelty. They created all kinds of souvenirs from Coconut tree products and sea shells. His products sold to all the tourist shops from Key west all along the east coast and the South west coast of the US. All kinds of "junk". Monkey piggy banks made from coconut shells. Serving trays made from the limbs, and Yes Carved coconuts. Pirates, Monkeys and all kinds of stuff.
Gathering shells was a "family" participation and any time we were at the beach we collected buckets full for him. Shells for eyes, teeth and to decorate fish nets and all kinds of stuff.
His name was Karl Balasky and he employed about 25 or 30 people in his heyday. They even made Key-chain tikis.
He closed the company back in the 80's after never making much money and he retired on social security. He went to work selling t-shirts for a large company , selling to all his old accounts. He made more money the first year than he ever made with his company(profit) and worked for them for years.
I'm not sure if he started the coconut carving but I know he had several people devoted solely to carving coconuts.
So, as a kid I had pirates and monkeys around my house all the time. I remember many trips to his shop delivering shells. I will always remember watching the coconut carvers working so fast it was unbelievable.
Small world.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
badmojo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-04 07:10 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: badmojo 2006-09-28 19:26 ]

View Profile of badmojo Send a personal message to badmojo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-05 05:05 am   Permalink

Who knows, I might cut up a Coconut some day, never can tell. If so , badmojo gets the first one.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
atomikitty
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-07 03:12 am   Permalink

Wow! This is GREAT! I have been collecting coconut monkeys for about 12 years and I have NEVER been able to have a discussion and share the joy of finding and collecting them with so many cool people! Tiki central ROCKS! I feel like I'm home! : )
I have quite a pack by now. . .so many my boyfriend said he will NOT move into another apartment with me again until I get the collection down to 6 boxes. 'But they are so LIGHT!' I tell him. : )
Mojo is right, I think most homes had one at some point. The coconut monkey seems to be one of those weird items that stole their way soundlessly into our homes and our memories. Sneaky monkey.
I too have seen a lot out there, new and old. I tend to collect the old and weird. I prefer the strays rather than store-bought. I am especially fond of the ones I find at estate sales-tucked in the corners of bars, tiki lanais and rumpus rooms. What joy and fun they must have seen at all those cocktail parties!
I consider my home the coconut monkey rescue headquarters. At this point maybe some people might consider me a 'hoarder', but I don't think it's unhealthy. . yet. .
I have a rule that I never pay more than $20.00 for one. I have only spent that much for one once-it was the first-my infamous 'Popeye head coconut monkey'! : )
I agree, they are a happy edition to any home, and tiki bars seem to be their natural habitat!
As some of you know, I am an illustrator (as well as The Lucky Tiki bartender), and I am currently working on a series of coconut monkey paintings. Seriously! I have 3 in progress right behind me as we speak! I was just doing it for my own enjoyment, but now that I know other monkey lovers are out there, I will be sure to give you updates and pictures! : )
Thanks again for posting Mojo, and everyone! You made my night.
Now I gotta get back to those monkeys!!!!

View Profile of atomikitty Send a personal message to atomikitty  Email atomikitty Goto the website of atomikitty     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation