FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Bilge E.L.O. Vs. Cheap Trick...
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
E.L.O. Vs. Cheap Trick...
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-04 12:06 am   Permalink

Now that Bilge is back, truly pressing issues must be discussed. So I ask you...

Who did the Beatles thing better?

E.L.O.?

Or Cheap Trick?

View Profile of TikiGardener Send a personal message to TikiGardener  Goto the website of TikiGardener     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-04 6:30 pm   Permalink

WOW! 2 of my faves. As far as who did the Beatles thing better...I'd have to go with ELO and Mr. Lynne. Hooks and melody...not that Cheap Trick didn't have them, but ELO was defitely more Beatle-esque. The string arrangements by Louis Clarke are comparable to the arrangements George Martin did. Just listen to the strings during the break in "Waterfall". One of my favorite Beatle-esque ELO tunes is "Mr. Radio." Definitely sounds like something the Beatles could have done in '67 or maybe '68. Jeff Lynne was (and still is) such a huge Beatles fan it's not surprising.

Cheap Trick are masters of Power Pop. Although somewhat Beatle-esque I've always thought of them as kind of new wave. A lot of people say they went downhill after "Heaven Tonight" but they've made a lot of great music since then.

View Profile of Kenike Send a personal message to Kenike  Email Kenike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Matt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-04 6:46 pm   Permalink

Cheap Trick, hands down. No need for anymore discussion.

View Profile of Tiki Matt Send a personal message to Tiki Matt  Goto the website of Tiki Matt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Shipwreckjoey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-05 6:25 pm   Permalink

As a big fan of the '70's band The Move that split to give birth to Roy Wood's band and ELO (Jeff Lynne's band) I was in the Roy Wood camp and have always preferred the version of the song "Do Ya" on the Move's superb LP "California Man" to the ELO re-hash. That being said, I think it only fair to disqualify myself as an impartial judge in determining the musical, cultural and historical significance of these two bands (darn, I didn't even get started on Cheap Trick).

View Profile of Shipwreckjoey Send a personal message to Shipwreckjoey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-05 7:59 pm   Permalink

Aw c'mon! I'm all ears!

View Profile of TikiGardener Send a personal message to TikiGardener  Goto the website of TikiGardener     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
john
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-05 8:15 pm   Permalink

elo wins this "showdown"

View Profile of john Send a personal message to john  Email john Goto the website of john     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitortured
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-05 9:36 pm   Permalink

I think that ELO was deliberately going for the "Beatles thing", whereas Cheap Trick, although obviously influenced by the Beatles, wasn't as intentional as ELO. I dig 'em both! ELO is to Kansas as Cheap Trick is to Big Star.

Oh, but Oasis does it more blatently than both of 'em, right?

[ This Message was edited by: tikitortured 2005-09-05 21:39 ]

View Profile of tikitortured Send a personal message to tikitortured  Email tikitortured Goto the website of tikitortured     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-06 06:15 am   Permalink

Quote:

Cheap Trick are masters of Power Pop. Although somewhat Beatle-esque I've always thought of them as kind of new wave. A lot of people say they went downhill after "Heaven Tonight" but they've made a lot of great music since then.

I think I can agree with this the most of any post so far.

Going downhill after 'Heaven Tonight' is a pretty fair assesment, but I would say they went downhill after 'At Budokan'. They did have great stuff after that, but you didn't hear it wall to wall on any one LP. Their first album is amazing. I think they have some strong similarities to The Beatles, but for me their godfathers are defnitely Big Star. Put some of that on and tell me you don't hear the strong similarities. But I do think that Rick & Co. definitely used The Beatles' "Sgt. Pepper" idea of 'being a different band' when they did 'Dream Police'. That album, at least as a visual concept, was totally borrowed from 'Sgt. Pepper' if you ask me. It was also pretty bold. I mean can you hear Rick or Robin, or whoever came up with the idea telling the rest of the band they were gonna be the 'Dream Police' as the follow up to the smash 'Budokan' LP. The other guys in the band must have been like 'yeah right..shut up'. But then again you're talking about a band that has a lead guitarist that looks like Huntz Hall from 'The Bowery Boys'. Hmmm...maybe somebody in the band was listening to Frank Zappa & the Mothers' "Freak Out" alot. There's that song on that album "Who Are the Brain Police?". Anyway...I think I have seen Cheap Trick (with all three of their bass players) about 10 times since 1980. First time was on the 'Dream Police' tour. UFO opened for them. VERY COOL!

ELO is closer to The Beatles on alot of levels. I'm not a big ELO fan, mind you but I am a huge Beatles fan. I never owned ELO stuff ever. Nothing personal to any of the ELO fans here, but when I first saw them come around, I thought it was kinda stupid seeing long haired dudes playing cellos. But hey....I love 'Don't Bring Me Down'. Great song, I remember hearing it all the time at the ice skating center on Friday nights.

[ This Message was edited by: donhonyc 2005-09-06 06:27 ]

View Profile of donhonyc Send a personal message to donhonyc      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MachTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-06 06:58 am   Permalink

As far as who did the Beatles thing better... I gotta go ELO.

I swear Jeff Lynne thought he WAS Paul McCartney for a few years.

View Profile of MachTiki Send a personal message to MachTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Geeky Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-06 08:49 am   Permalink

Cheap Trick up through Revolver, then E.L.O. from the end of Rubber Soul onward.

Or...

Cheap Trick during the "red double album" period and E.L.O. through the "blue double album" period.

View Profile of Geeky Tiki Send a personal message to Geeky Tiki  Email Geeky Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-07 4:00 pm   Permalink

Quote:
I think I have seen Cheap Trick (with all three of their bass players) about 10 times since 1980. First time was on the 'Dream Police' tour. UFO opened for them. VERY COOL!

I saw them that same tour in Philadelphia. I don't remember who opened for them but I know it wasn't UFO. What I remember most from that show was watching Robin Zander yelling and screaming at a stage hand and them playing "Everything Works If You Let It" before they ever recorded it. One of my favorite CT tunes.

View Profile of Kenike Send a personal message to Kenike  Email Kenike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitortured
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-08 08:51 am   Permalink

As I said on a previous post about the most perfectly written pop song, Cheap Trick's "OH CAROLINE" tops my list. It's an absolute classic! As for ELO, I can listen to "MR. BLUE SKY" over and over. Talk about Beatle-esque.

View Profile of tikitortured Send a personal message to tikitortured  Email tikitortured Goto the website of tikitortured     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
c10
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-09-08 8:05 pm   Permalink

CT has covered a few Beatles and Lennon songs, as well as some from The Move (California Man, Down on the Bay, Brontosaurus). I don't think ELO did the same, except that horrid "Roll Over Beethoven" thing.

View Profile of c10 Send a personal message to c10  Email c10 Goto the website of c10     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-08 10:53 pm   Permalink

I always felt it was a shame that Cheap Trick didn't get to have George Martin produce their early work.

The opening track for All Shook Up is great, but the rest of the album was downhill. Fast.

foamy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-09 11:10 am   Permalink

Who remembers "Captain Copter and the Twirlybirds"? (Lind & Co. just before ELO). They did "I'm a California Man." Then, so did Cheap Trick, some years later. Both good.

[ This Message was edited by: foamy 2005-09-09 11:14 ]

View Profile of foamy Send a personal message to foamy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation