FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Bilge E.L.O. Vs. Cheap Trick...
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
E.L.O. Vs. Cheap Trick...
Shipwreckjoey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-09 4:40 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-09-09 11:10, foamy wrote:
Who remembers "Captain Copter and the Twirlybirds"? (Lind & Co. just before ELO). They did "I'm a California Man." Then, so did Cheap Trick, some years later. Both good.

Wasn't the guitarist Randy California of Spirit in Capt Copter & the Twirlybirds? Maybe it's that California Man thing bouncin' off my skull.

(oops...sorry, different band)
Krapt. Kopter And The (fabulous) Twirly Birds - Austrian - CD ALBUM more of this title
RANDY CALIFORNIA Kapt. Kopter & The... (Deleted Sony 8-trk CD, p/s) -

[ This Message was edited by: Shipwreckjoey 2005-09-09 16:52 ]

View Profile of Shipwreckjoey Send a personal message to Shipwreckjoey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-10 1:36 pm   Permalink

Quote:
I always felt it was a shame that Cheap Trick didn't get to have George Martin produce their early work.
The opening track for All Shook Up is great, but the rest of the album was downhill. Fast.

I agree...and what I'll never understand is why "Everything Works If You Let It" was kept off that album and handed off to the soundtrack for "Roadie" starring Meat Loaf. It's much stronger than anything else on "All Shook Up" and I always thought it would have been a great single. It was eventually included in 45 form with the EP "Found All The Parts" which came out in '81 I think.

Which members of Cheap Trick played on an early version of Lennon's "I'm Losing You?" Was it just Bun E. and Rick?

Quote:
CT has covered a few Beatles and Lennon songs, as well as some from The Move (California Man, Down on the Bay, Brontosaurus). I don't think ELO did the same, except that horrid "Roll Over Beethoven" thing.

I know ELO did do "Day Tripper" & "Across The Universe" live but never on record.

[ This Message was edited by: Juno 2005-09-10 13:38 ]

View Profile of Kenike Send a personal message to Kenike  Email Kenike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-11 9:39 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Which members of Cheap Trick played on an early version of Lennon's "I'm Losing You?" Was it just Bun E. and Rick?

As far as I know, yeah it was just Rick & Bun along with session player/later version of King Crimson bassist Tony Levin. The version they did didn't make it on to the 'Double Fantasy' record. There was actually a video filmed of it a few years ago with the three of them in it and if I recall correctly, an animated (cartoon) figure in the part of John Lennon. The Rick/Bun E./Tony Levin version of "I'm Losing You" can be found on the John Lennon Anthology Box Set released in 1998.

I heard Rick Neilsen tell a funny story about the beginning of the sessions for that song. John Lennon walked in the room and saw Rick Neilsen standing there and said "Oh....it's you." Apparently he thought they were bringing in Rick Nelson, as in 'Travelin Man'/'Garden Party'/ Ozzie and Harriet's kid, Rick Nelson!!

[ This Message was edited by: donhonyc 2005-09-11 22:24 ]

View Profile of donhonyc Send a personal message to donhonyc      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-12 05:56 am   Permalink

Quote:
I heard Rick Neilsen tell a funny story about the beginning of the sessions for that song. John Lennon walked in the room and saw Rick Neilsen standing there and said "Oh....it's you." Apparently he thought they were bringing in Rick Nelson, as in 'Travelin Man'/'Garden Party'/ Ozzie and Harriet's kid, Rick Nelson!!

Oh that's funny as hell! I can just imagine him standing there with his knit sweater, bow tie, baseball cap and 50 Cheap Trick buttons and then John Lennon walks in.

View Profile of Kenike Send a personal message to Kenike  Email Kenike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mai Tai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-13 12:18 am   Permalink

Cheap Trick: The Dream Police, Surrender.

ELO: Horace Wimp???

'nuff said.

View Profile of Mai Tai Send a personal message to Mai Tai  Email Mai Tai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitortured
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-14 10:05 am   Permalink

Tomorrow night I'm going to see New Model Army at the Knitting Factory in Hollywood and Bun E. Carlos, drummer for Cheap trick will be the DJ. Weird, huh?

View Profile of tikitortured Send a personal message to tikitortured  Email tikitortured Goto the website of tikitortured     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitortured
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-14 10:07 am   Permalink

Oh yeah, and Cheap Trick is playing withAlice Cooper at the Greek on Sat. 9/16.

View Profile of tikitortured Send a personal message to tikitortured  Email tikitortured Goto the website of tikitortured     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-15 5:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:
ELO: Horace Wimp???

Not one of their high moments...but then neither was Cheap Tricks "Who'd King."

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation