FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Polynesian Restaurant's in La Crescenta, Ca
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Polynesian Restaurant's in La Crescenta, Ca
spy-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-07 12:42 pm   Permalink

O.K. I had some time to do some poking around and this is the latest.

Vince Dundee the boxer was indeed the owner of the Kona Kai Inn. The building is the red one that's still there, but apparently there was a fire once and the place is just used for storage now. Vince Dundee may still be with us and his family is still in the area so there's still a chance of an interview.

Link Paola was a custom car guy with a shop here in Glendale and was indeed the owner of the Outrigger. He is deceased now (maybe about 2 years ago) and the family does not seem to be in the area.

I have contacted the Crescenta Valley Historical society to see if there are any photos or what not.

One interesting thing that came up is that there may have been another polynesian restaraunt/bar in south Glendale (not Damon's) Somewhere on south Central or therabouts. I remember an old closed and delapidated building on San Fernando that had the right look. Does this jog anyone's memories?

View Profile of spy-tiki Send a personal message to spy-tiki  Email spy-tiki Goto the website of spy-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKIBOSKO
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-08 08:59 am   Permalink

“One interesting thing that came up is that there may have been another polynesian restaraunt/bar in south Glendale (not Damon's) Somewhere on south Central or therabouts. I remember an old closed and delapidated building on San Fernando that had the right look. Does this jog anyone's memories?”

It sounds like you found the old “Sea and Jungle” building, I used to live just around the corner (quite a while back) all that was left then was the building and a few giant clam shells. It was on the North side of San Fernando, right around that area as I recall.

My very best alohas,

Bosko

View Profile of TIKIBOSKO Send a personal message to TIKIBOSKO  Goto the website of TIKIBOSKO     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
spy-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-08 10:31 am   Permalink

That's it! Know anything else about it? Was it a bar/restaraunt or just an interesting looking real estate office?

View Profile of spy-tiki Send a personal message to spy-tiki  Email spy-tiki Goto the website of spy-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-08 10:50 am   Permalink

Sea and Jungle was a tropical outfitting shop, much like Oceanic Arts. There's a great picture of it in the BOT on page 234.

Critiki - Critiki News - Ooga-Mooga

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
spy-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-20 10:40 am   Permalink

Haven't turned up much more, but I have been in contact with someone who had a brother who worked at one of the places.

This sign is in front of where the Kona Kai was. The actual building may be the one that's at this address or may have been on the left of it and burned down sometime ago.

Kind of sad, but this is all that's left. I'm not sure the sign was for the restaurant, but I have it on good authority that the lava rocks at the base are from the Kona Kai.

Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-20 11:25 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-12-20 10:40, spy-tiki wrote:
This sign is in front of where the Kona Kai was. The actual building may be the one that's at this address or may have been on the left of it and burned down sometime ago.

Spy-tiki,

I lived just down the street in Montrose from 1998 - 2002, and I remember this sign having something on it (I think a BBQ joint?) - but nothing Polynesian.... I recall a building being there as well, but that's about it! Sorry I didn't take a pic...
Have you though about contating the Crescenta Valley Historical Society?

http://home.pacbell.net/wcweiss/HSCV/history.htm

I'd bet they might have something....

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
spy-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-20 11:51 am   Permalink

Yeah, that's actually where I got some of the info. Hopefully the guy that worked there will have some more info. I don't think the sign was for the Kona Kai, but the rocks at the bottom were from it. Just sad that that's all that's left.

Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-20 12:03 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-12-20 11:51, spy-tiki wrote:
Yeah, that's actually where I got some of the info.

Duh! That'll teach me not to read the rest of the thread!

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-02 09:10 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-09-06 21:57, kirby wrote:
With all that searching for lost tiki places, you missed the best part of montrose today...In the same lot as the Mexican restaurant lives my all time favorite place to eat..its called "yakis" the original teriaki bowl.. dont let the name give you any preconceived ideas... this place is great... they are known to have the best teriaki bowls around but the hidden items on the menu are completely original like the bulldogg which is a hot dog rapped in a spring role and deep fried, and you dip this in an sauce called froggy sauce which is there yaki sauce and thousand island dressing...then there is the yako,a hamburger with a chicken breast on top with the same froggy sauce..And then for desert you have the yakisiito which is a cinnamon custard wrapped in a spring role and deep fried, no dipping this one though...Its set up like a beach front greasy spoon...And to top it all of I think the owner has hawwian heritage..If you get a chance hit this place up its just good food..

I love YAKI's ... When I lived in Rancho Glendale, there was one there as well. Now I live in Sunland, about 10 minutes away. The Aloha Bowl is my meal of choice there. I only wish they had TIKI decor to go along with it all...it would really ice the cake.

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
carolinacoconuts

Posted: 2018-05-09 1:01 pm   Permalink

I live in La Crescenta and didn't realize there was such a cool place here at one point. I saw a great article in the local community facebook about this place.

http://www.crescentavalleyweekly.com/viewpoints/06/25/2015/treasures-valley-mike-lawler-83/

Great picture too of it back in the glory days

View Profile of carolinacoconuts Send a personal message to carolinacoconuts  Goto the website of carolinacoconuts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rixzantis
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-05-13 11:56 pm   Permalink

So cool! I've lived in the area since 1986 and had no idea!
Wish we had a place like those now!

View Profile of rixzantis Send a personal message to rixzantis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
spy-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-05-14 7:02 pm   Permalink

from my post back in 2005: "right where 3034 probably was is a very small (fenced in again) building (about Tiki ti size...maybe goes back a little farther. To get to the front door you have to cross a sort of wood bridge. Nice entrance for a small a tiki bar."

Fantastic to see an actual photo... with the bridge! nice work Carolinacoconuts! And the area is STILL fenced in and undeveloped although I think even more of it has been demolished since 2005.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation