FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food New Orleans Rum & Hemingway's Havana Daiquiri
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
New Orleans Rum & Hemingway's Havana Daiquiri
AdOrAdam
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-07-21 3:36 pm   Permalink

I spy with my little eye... identity theft!

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-21 4:25 pm   Permalink

Here's how Hemingway biographer A.E. Hotchner recorded the preparation of Hemingway's Daiquiris that they drank at El Foridita in 1948:

"A Papa Doble was compounded of two and a half jiggers of Bacardi White Label Rum, the juice of two limes and half a grapefruit and six drops of maraschino...placed in an electric mixer over shaved ice, whirled vigorously and served foaming in large goblets."

Hemingway held the record for drinking 16 in one night. That is 60 ounces of rum -- 2 and 1/3 standard size (750ml) bottles worth. He liked them slushie, because they slid down more easily -- and he liked them without sugar, because that much sugar would kill a horse.

View Profile of djmont Send a personal message to djmont  Email djmont Goto the website of djmont     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Longboard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-22 3:03 pm   Permalink

I believe that Ernest Hemingway was a diabetic, that is why he was served his daiquiri's without sugar

Also, One of his favorite drinks aboard his boat Pilar was a Vermouth Panache, a blend of sweet and dry vermouth with Angostura Bitters. 16 of these would kill a horse!

-Longboard

[ This Message was edited by: Longboard 2014-07-22 15:07 ]

View Profile of Longboard Send a personal message to Longboard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-22 3:10 pm   Permalink

Hemingway had a hereditary disease called Hemochromatosis, which can cause diabetes (amongst a litany of other maladies). Ernest's father, Clarence, had the disease, as well as diabetes, and it was likely one of the reasons he killed himself. Papa wanted to avoid that fate, so he ordered his drinks without sugar.

Of course, the rampant alcoholism didn't help things, regardless...

View Profile of djmont Send a personal message to djmont  Email djmont Goto the website of djmont     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Longboard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-22 3:42 pm   Permalink

Wow Professor Cocktail,

Just clicked onto your site.

Nicely done. I'm enjoying cruising through it.

-Longboard

View Profile of Longboard Send a personal message to Longboard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-22 5:10 pm   Permalink

Thank you! I appreciate that.

My liver salutes you!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation