FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Chin Tiki, Detroit, MI (restaurant)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Chin Tiki, Detroit, MI (restaurant)
Feelin' Zombified
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-05 6:24 pm   Permalink

Name:Chin Tiki
Type:restaurant
Street:2121 Cass Ave.
City:Detroit
State:MI
Zip:
Phone:

Description:
Opened in 1967 by Marvin Chin. Closed in 1980.

[ This Message was edited by: Feelin' Zombified 2005-09-05 18:50 ]

View Profile of Feelin' Zombified Send a personal message to Feelin' Zombified  Email Feelin' Zombified     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Feelin' Zombified
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-05 6:36 pm   Permalink

I can't believe there wasn't a thread created already... anyway, I went thru Chin Tiki on Sunday armed with a really, really bad camera that was borrowed at the last minute. Here are the pics that were actually visible:

The first floor bar:

The stairway leading to the 2nd floor, at the top is a HUGE rockwall fountain (no pic good pic, sorry):

The outrigger at the top of those stairs:

The 2nd floor, pic taken from behind the very cool serpentine bar. The stairs are to the left... as is an octagon Witco table. to the right is the stage area:

Tikis on the back end of the stage:

A room on the first floor in the back left of the building:

Lastly, in that same room... Come to Daddy!

-Z

Thank God The Tiki Bar Is Open
Thank God The Tiki Torch Still Shines...

View Profile of Feelin' Zombified Send a personal message to Feelin' Zombified  Email Feelin' Zombified     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-05 6:40 pm   Permalink

Wow! Kinda like touring a haunted house but it must have been awesome.

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-05 7:25 pm   Permalink

Yeah! Thankyouthankyouthankyou! Those are great. I'm especially groovin' on that brown carpet, and the green booths. That place must have been a blast when it was new.

What did Marvin Chin have to say during the tour?

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cynfulcynner
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-23 9:54 pm   Permalink

While surfing the Web recently, I found this page about Chin Tiki. it has lots of exterior photos:

http://www.snweb.org/places/tiki

It appears that Detroit is THE place to explore modern ruins! (This is not necessarily a good thing.)

View Profile of cynfulcynner Send a personal message to cynfulcynner      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lanikai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-24 03:40 am   Permalink

back in the day, sold much tiki decor and tiki mugs to the studios for the shoot of the segment of that Eminem 8 mile movie they shot there. never was paid or in any way reimbursed for it.
ah well...

View Profile of lanikai Send a personal message to lanikai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SNWEB.ORG

Posted: 2006-02-26 8:06 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the linkage!
I hope to get some interior photos in the future. I have been trying to contact the owner, Marvin Chin to gain legal access, but so far he hasn't been at this restaurant in Livonia.

-SNWEB.ORG

View Profile of SNWEB.ORG Send a personal message to SNWEB.ORG  Email SNWEB.ORG Goto the website of SNWEB.ORG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-02 4:45 pm   Permalink

Tell the owner that I will try to buy enough drinks to keep him open , if he opens

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chub
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-24 5:14 pm   Permalink

Unfortunately, Marvin Chin is not interested in re-opening the Chin Tiki. Last fall he was telling me he was only interested in leasing the building out. The problem is, Mr. Chin sold the parking lot to Detroit's biggest slumlord and gravel parking lot king, Mike Illitch. Without parking, the Chin Tiki will probably never open. I get sad and mad every time I think about it!

View Profile of Chub Send a personal message to Chub  Goto the website of Chub     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
larryc39

Posted: 2006-04-20 8:36 pm   Permalink

Why he doesn't get a new building in a decent neighborhood and transfer the decor? Apart from the exterior most of it could be moved to a new location...one where it would be safe to park your car.

Maybe take over Bahama Breeze on Big Beaver in Troy and make it a real polyplace.

View Profile of larryc39 Send a personal message to larryc39      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-09 12:27 pm   Permalink

Sad but not at all surprising news about the Chin Tiki building -- in February, the deed for the building passed to Ilitch Holdings, which has been quietly buying up enough of the surrounding land that they now own four contiguous blocks. The Detroit News has an article about it -- there's speculation that Ilitch Holdings is considering building a new hockey arena there; Mike Ilitch owns the Red Wings.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070509/BIZ/705090380

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sneakyjack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-03 3:34 pm   Permalink

What is the Chin Tiki status?- Is it truly gone?- I know its been closed ect. But is the building gone yet? - If so where did the insides go? I know there is another (different) location in Livona but I doubt it could hold all the goods. Just wondering??- I was there last in April 2007.
thanks for any response

View Profile of sneakyjack Send a personal message to sneakyjack      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-04 05:01 am   Permalink

..gotta stay current on your threads....do a search and you will find a thread about livonia chins and the descor it contains from the old place downtown....

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sneakyjack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-04 06:43 am   Permalink

Thanks again Tipsy - I guess I got lost in all the Cat talk in that tread - Anyway so the building is still standing and "some" of its contents have been moved to the some what re done Chins in Livona. Would love to be around for the scraps of the wrecking ball in Detroit. Keep us up dated man! Stay Golden!

View Profile of sneakyjack Send a personal message to sneakyjack      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-04 07:24 am   Permalink

..i've been in the old chin's and there really isn't anything worth salvageing except moldy carpet and moldy bamboo. there was very little decor and what decor there was has been removed by the owners.-some has been placed in the new chin tiki livonia and the rest is in a marlin chins garage...the best time to have been in there was before the film crew from the movie 8 mile raped the place....they stole cases of chin tiki mugs among other things from what the owner told us. they also moved some stuff around and damaged some things.....assholes!!

..someone mentioned in a post earlier here that the stuff was bought by the film company, but i have never heread that from either marvin or marlin chin....the version i heard is that the stuff was in another room they were not allowed in and they took the stuff anyway...

[ This Message was edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2007-10-04 07:27 ]

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation