FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Chin Tiki, Detroit, MI (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Chin Tiki, Detroit, MI (restaurant)
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-03-10 3:00 pm   Permalink

A Detroit friend was looking in the rubble and found some Chin Tiki postcards!

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
naugatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-10 3:20 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-03-10 15:00, thejab wrote:

Now that's what I call Urban Archaeology.

View Profile of naugatiki Send a personal message to naugatiki  Email naugatiki Goto the website of naugatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-10 3:31 pm   Permalink

Quote:

..i'll bet they were nice and soggy too!!

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-10 4:38 pm   Permalink

Quote:

It's kind of harsh to see it like that isn't it? The building itself actually looks like it wasn't too bad. Just in the wrong area. I have heard this area of Detroit has not been the same for many years.

I guess that being said, I wonder what the point was? If it was closed for so long, why did they destroy it? I wouldn't think anything in that area would be built especially on this bit of land. Does someone know if the land actually sold and if there is a plan? I guess it really doesn't matter, just curious.

I agree with Tipsy when he says focus on what can be saved. It's too bad for Chub who obviously wanted to do something about it and did try. It always sucks when another palace falls but let's save the ones we have! Keep supporting your local bars and when you go on a vacation or travel, make sure you visit the ones on your trip! Actually....who the hell am I preaching too?? You all know that don't you?!!!

They do that around here too with old buildings. Knock them down flat, say they are building something and then leave the property empty for years and then it grows over. Well, that's the way it goes.

Good thing there are so many photos, a few scenes in a movie and good old Tiki Central to help the memories survive!!!!
Long Live TC!!

View Profile of TabooDan Send a personal message to TabooDan  Goto the website of TabooDan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-10 6:46 pm   Permalink

very sad,
snif snif.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-10 8:13 pm   Permalink

incidentally i heard that it's going to be a parking lot for the nearby stadium....it was bought by them a year or 2 ago......

(the following is sarcasm)

...because let's face it, there aren't many abandoned buildings in that area to tear down and use for parking......better to tear down the only building in the area that could have shown promise of a rebirth......

I say just turn all of downtown detroit into one big parking lot for the midwest.......we can leave our cars and commute to our jobs in the surrounding states.....

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chub
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-11 12:50 am   Permalink

Here's an article from the Detroit Free Press
http://freep.com/article/20090310/ENT08/303100002/Cass+Avenue+s+exotic+Chin+Tiki+is+no+more

View Profile of Chub Send a personal message to Chub  Goto the website of Chub     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-11 07:03 am   Permalink

I really like this shot:

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hulagirl1
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-03-11 07:05 am   Permalink

Went to Chin Tiki in Detroit on Saturday morning at 8am to take photos and rummage around. Found some lava rock and took some souvenir bricks. This is all that was left. Now it is gone as they started hauling the junk away on Sunday.

View Profile of hulagirl1 Send a personal message to hulagirl1      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-04 11:45 am   Permalink

Michele

Posted: 2009-04-16 08:59 am   Permalink

http://americajr.com/pictures/detroit/chintikidemolished0313.html

RIP Chin Tiki...

View Profile of Michele Send a personal message to Michele      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-25 5:32 pm   Permalink

I get bummed every time I see those demo pics.

Here is a nice old ashtray from Chin Tiki.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-25 11:56 pm   Permalink

Quote:

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-26 10:10 pm   Permalink

Here's a little pick from the Chin Tiki.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-04 09:15 am   Permalink

I scored a nice coaster from the Chin Tiki that advertises all the different rooms they had in the restaurant.

Funny spelling of Mona Lua!

DC

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation