FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music What MUSIC inspires you for your art or your tiki lifestle in general??? Good thread eh?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
What MUSIC inspires you for your art or your tiki lifestle in general??? Good thread eh?
Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-12 7:13 pm   Permalink

Somewhere along the way I got out of the habit of listening to music while working, or driving for that matter. Strange that I don't miss it.

View Profile of Raffertiki Send a personal message to Raffertiki  Email Raffertiki Goto the website of Raffertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hells idols
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-09-13 10:00 am   Permalink

when i carve i put in my stereo surf Music old and neo: Dick dale, The Ventures, Fifty foot combo... and Rockabilly Music : Brian setzer, Charlies Feather, early Elvis P., Johnny Burnette and The Meteors (Rockab album:southern boys) I prefer not a heavy music to carve if no i do nothing.

View Profile of hells idols Send a personal message to hells idols  Email hells idols Goto the website of hells idols     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-15 07:00 am   Permalink

Swanky's exotica... http://swankpad.org/exotica/exoticaii.html
other than that, whatEVER. Currently, The Killers.

[ This Message was edited by: surfintiki 2005-09-15 07:03 ]

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Matt Reese
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-20 06:43 am   Permalink

When I paint I generally listen to exotica. Sometimes the Pirates of the Caribbean soundtrack is good. Other times any old punk rock will do. The Clouseaux Lagoon album is almost always on hand.

View Profile of Matt Reese Send a personal message to Matt Reese  Email Matt Reese     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gigantalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-20 06:58 am   Permalink

Only slightly better than styx and journey...I like the "talking heads"...songs like "Government Man"...lots of movement and energy...I find I lose track of time while creating...it's sort of buzzy.

Ali Toure, from Mali is great too, the fact that I don't understand the words doesn't bother me.

Wicked Tinkers are another great energy band. 3 drummers, a diggery and a piper. Not many words, a few screams and howls. but mostly pretty tribal...great for late night projects when you might be tired but don't want to stop working on something.

View Profile of Gigantalope Send a personal message to Gigantalope  Email Gigantalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hypnotiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-09-22 1:24 pm   Permalink

Matt Reese you DO have great taste in music... If I may say so.

Jay
Clouseaux

View Profile of hypnotiki Send a personal message to hypnotiki  Email hypnotiki Goto the website of hypnotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
untamedhighway
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-10-11 04:02 am   Permalink

It really depends on my mood or what I'm drawing. I like a ton of music, but when I'm looking for a tiki vibe or drawing traditional tiki stuff, I prefer the obvious...Martin Denny, Les Baxter, Esquivel, Robert Drasnin's Voodoo or some good surf music. If I'm drawing more wild jungle stuff I like Strip Records Jungle Exotica albums, and also in the same vein Frolic Diner and Las Vegas Grind. If I'm doing something more surreal or psychedelic, then I go for some late 60s-early 70s soundtrack stuff like Vampyros Lesbos, Schoolgirl Report, Ennio Morricone, Beat at Cennicita.
Also inspiring for a tiki mindset are the Music for TV Dinners discs. Also spy music, which often tends to be moody and exotic (I specifically recommend The Thriller Memorandum and the Man from UNCLE soundtrack). Basically anything that is colorful, uplifting and textured.

Noah
www.untamedhighway.com
The comic that scratches the underbelly of forgotten American pop culture.

View Profile of untamedhighway Send a personal message to untamedhighway  Email untamedhighway Goto the website of untamedhighway     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki-el
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-10-16 08:36 am   Permalink

I listen to all music but as of late lots of martin denny and les baxter. I have been working on some big tiki paintings.

View Profile of tiki-el Send a personal message to tiki-el  Email tiki-el     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chief Lapu Lapu
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-10-16 4:05 pm   Permalink

Lately, Hugo Montenegro, Brass Ring, everything played on Jet Set Planet and Retro Cocktail Hour.. always Esquivel and lets see... something a little more current... I would say Stereolab, some Don Tiki.

[ This Message was edited by: Chief Lapu Lapu 2005-10-19 02:17 ]

View Profile of Chief Lapu Lapu Send a personal message to Chief Lapu Lapu  Goto the website of Chief Lapu Lapu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MaiTaiMafia
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-10-18 12:35 am   Permalink

Any Ultralounge, Don Tiki, Blue Hawaiians, Herb Ohta Jr. (lately), Dennis Aveau, Hui Ohana, Pali, Ventures, Brian Setzer, Sevendust, Aqualung (the band, not Tull), Coldplay, Pepper (local Hawaii boys), Sublime... the list goes on. Basically, if the music makes me feel good - I listen to it. Doesn't have to be any particular genre or style... Inspires me to write songs as well.

MTM

View Profile of MaiTaiMafia Send a personal message to MaiTaiMafia  Email MaiTaiMafia     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation