FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Florida Rum & Ingredient Finder
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Florida Rum & Ingredient Finder
Jawa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-07 12:34 pm   Permalink

Aloha Floridians!

I am started this topic as a place for us to post the latest sales or finds of rums and exotic drink ingredients. Basically, I just wanted a topic we could all quickly find and post to with this information.

So, with this in mind, I will start us off...

Mahalo, and I hope you find this informative!

Edit: Edited Subject to Florida

[ This Message was edited by: Jawa 2005-12-19 08:48 ]

View Profile of Jawa Send a personal message to Jawa  Email Jawa Goto the website of Jawa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jawa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-07 12:36 pm   Permalink

From mahalomo in Dunedin

Lueken's Liquor

mahalomo also said Lueken's has Trader Vic's Orgeat, and Macadamia Nut Liquor.

I went to Lueken's this evening, 8/7/2005, and they have a very nice selection of rums (and a lot of everything else too). El Dorado demerara stood out since I have not it around Tampa.

Quote:

On 2005-09-06 17:28, mahalomo wrote:
Jawa -
Coruba is on sale 1/2 price right now ($12.99 for a 1 liter bottle) at Luekens Liquor in Dunedin (corner of Patricia and Main St/580). I just returned with 2 bottles of my own.

[ This Message was edited by: Jawa 2005-09-07 12:43 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Jawa 2005-09-07 18:34 ]

View Profile of Jawa Send a personal message to Jawa  Email Jawa Goto the website of Jawa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jawa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-07 12:41 pm   Permalink

Update on Lemon Hart in the area

I have been talking with Hot Lava regarding Lemon Hart rum in this area for the past few months and so far he has not been able to find any or get any info from the 2 large distributers.

Fortunately, Kono informed me that he has ordered Lemon Hart from
Hi-Time Wines in the past...so at least we can get it, albeit at a premium since shipping is so high.

Hot Lava
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-22 9:01 pm   Permalink

That's great news about a source for El Dorado demerara in Dunedin. Previously, I had driven to Wally's in Orlando to get the stuff.

Has anyone been able to find Trader Vic's Passion Fruit syrup? I was looking to get another bottle for this weekend. I can order from Trader Vics online, but it would never show up in time.

View Profile of Hot Lava Send a personal message to Hot Lava  Email Hot Lava     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jawa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-23 08:17 am   Permalink

I have not seen TV Passion Fruit syrup, but I did find something better!

I was at my local asian market (Oceanic near Florida and 275) a couple weeks ago and found some passionfruit syrup. It is only concentrated juice and sugar, so it has a thinker consistency than TV. It tastes like actual passionfruit, and doesn't have any extra ingredients like the TV stuff has. It runs about $4.60 a bottle, and you use about half as much as you would the TV stuff.

Jawa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-23 12:59 pm   Permalink

Has anyone seen the new Weekly Planet Best of the Bay issue?

There is a mention in there for best mom and pop liquor store, and the store is 4th Street Liquor Mart on ... well, 4th Street in St. Pete. I dropped by today on my lunch break and walked out pleasantly surprised with a bottle of El Dorado 5yr. They also had 2 other ages, an 8 (about $20) and 15 (about $30) if I am not mistaken. They also had Sailor Jerry, which I have not seen too often around here. A really good selection for such a small place. The owners are really nice too, so check it out...

mahalomo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-09-23 2:00 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-09-22 21:01, Hot Lava wrote:
That's great news about a source for El Dorado demerara in Dunedin. Previously, I had driven to Wally's in Orlando to get the stuff.

Has anyone been able to find Trader Vic's Passion Fruit syrup? I was looking to get another bottle for this weekend. I can order from Trader Vics online, but it would never show up in time.

I have been told by a few liquor store managers that the Passion Fruit syrup can't be found anywhere in the Bay area due to there being no distributors that carry it here. I've asked a few managers of good liquor stores this same question and keep getting the same answer. They did say, however, that places in Orlando or elsewhere in the state may have it, because distributors vary on a regional level within the state. Not sure how much truth there is to any of this, other than the fact that I can't find the TV Passion Fruit Syrup anywhere near here, even though I can find other TV products in several stores.

View Profile of mahalomo Send a personal message to mahalomo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-24 5:15 pm   Permalink

I'd say just order it from Trader Vics online. I ordered some about a year or two ago (passion fruit, orgeat and rock candy) and the S/H pretty much equaled the cost of the product. So that $4.50 bottle of syrup cost me about $9. But with the cost of gas these days you probably come out ahead vs driving around looking for it. And I just ran out of my bottle about a week ago so I guess maybe an order is in the works. I seem to remember that S/H works out better if you order in "threes" due to the way it's packed.

I wish I could find someone to carry the macadamia nut liqueur and the mai tai mix (just because I haven't found a Honi Honi recipe that doesn't require the mix).

Anybody try that 10 Cane rum? Good stuff!

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mahalomo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-09-26 5:52 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-09-24 17:15, Kono wrote:

I wish I could find someone to carry the macadamia nut liqueur

Luekens Liquor in Dunedin (corner of Patricia and 580/Main St.) has the TV Macadamia Nut Liqueur. They also have the Orgeat from TV.
Everything else I order from TV and get it shipped. You're right - with gas prices, it's cheaper just to order it.

View Profile of mahalomo Send a personal message to mahalomo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JonPez
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-27 7:05 pm   Permalink

Hello all...
Just wanted to tell about a liquor store that I stopped at today.
In a very touristy area of town, right off International Drive near Universal Studios.
Joseph's Liquor & Fine Wine (407) 351-4470

I was attracted by the sign that said "100 Rums, 100 Vodkas, 100 Tequilas, 100 Whiskeys".
Well, they were not kidding.
Although they were a bit shy on the mixers and syrups, they had all the hard alcohols you would probably want to find.

Single Malt Scotch? Over 90 brands.

Wine? Got it.

Rum? Yep. Over 100 types from Mexico, Peru, Brazil, Tennessee, any island in the Caribbean including:
Flor de Caña (4, 7, and 18 year)
Ron Barcelo
El Dorado Demerara (5, 12, 15 year)
Santa Teresa 1796 Solera (mixed age)
Prichard's
Wray & Nephew White Overproof (126 proof for those that can't handle 151)
Appleton Estates
Goslings
Chacacha
10 Cane Rum
Ron Matusalem
Toucano (by Ypioca)
Pyrat (and Pyrat XO)
Angosture Rum
Sea Wynde
Ron Zacapa Centenario
Rhum Barbancourt (multiple ages)
Mount Gay Tricentennial (only 300 bottles made)

They also had many other types of liquer, including Santa Teresa Rhum Orange Liqeur, Demerara Rum Cream Liquer and many others.

No Falernum, but he doesn't get much call for that, yet

His pricing is pretty good, but for the older stuff it can get pretty high (as to be expected). The Mount Gay Tricentennial was $500, but it was the last bottle still for sale anywhere...

Stop on by on the way to the Hukilau (its off I-4 at the Sand Lake Road/International Drive exit, on the corner of Sand Lake and Universal Blvd). Or if you call, tell him you are one of the Tiki people I "warned" him about. Maybe if he gets enough response, he'll order some really obscure stuff for us...

View Profile of JonPez Send a personal message to JonPez  Goto the website of JonPez     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
I dream of tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-10 7:39 pm   Permalink

Thanks guys for listing your premium liquor oasises. There is hope yet for this Demarara starved lot.

View Profile of I dream of tiki Send a personal message to I dream of tiki  Email I dream of tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Helz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-11 1:49 pm   Permalink

Now all we need is one of these for us South Florida folks!

View Profile of Helz Send a personal message to Helz  Email Helz Goto the website of Helz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jawa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-11 3:14 pm   Permalink

Yes, demarara is still hard to come by unfortunately.

For Tampa residents, there is a new place for all your liquor needs, Total Wine on Dale Mabry about 1/4 mile north of 275. The least expensive place I have found so far around here. They could use more rums, but their selection is not bad.

TheMuggler
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-11 5:26 pm   Permalink

Stopped by Joseph's Liquor & Fine Wine today to get some holiday shopping done. He really has an excellent selection but his prices are high compared to what I have seen in the area. He has Saint James XO (the smoothest Martinique rum for your Mai Tai, in my opinion) at $30/bottle and I have ordered it from Plaza Liquors on International Drive (407-352-7665) for around $21/bottle. His prices on the El Dorado demerara line seemed higher than I pay at Wally's as well.

It's a great place if you need to get something right away, but if you have enough time to order a bottle, you can get it cheaper from Plaza Liquors down the street.

View Profile of TheMuggler Send a personal message to TheMuggler  Email TheMuggler Goto the website of TheMuggler     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
I dream of tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-14 11:23 pm   Permalink

I just found two places in the Florida Keys with incredible selection. Dare I say it coud be our South Florida oasis for hard to find rum? Should I list here or would you rather I start a new topic?

View Profile of I dream of tiki Send a personal message to I dream of tiki  Email I dream of tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation