FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Florida Rum & Ingredient Finder
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Florida Rum & Ingredient Finder
Jawa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-15 05:32 am   Permalink

You are most welcome to post your finds here! I may have to change the topic heading now, but I think we all Floridians here would appreciate a couple of good places to get hard to find rums

Thanks Dreamer!

View Profile of Jawa Send a personal message to Jawa  Email Jawa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
I dream of tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-15 6:38 pm   Permalink

Oh boy, oh Boy, OH BOY! RUUUUMMM!!!

Found 2 stores in Key Largo with nice stock surprises.
The first one, Tradewinds Liquors, is in the Publix & K-Mart shopping plaza. It next to Public by the cul-de-sac toward the back.

Tradewinds Liquors Inc
101443 Overseas Hwy
Key Largo, FL 33037
phone (305) 451-5958
fax (305) 451-3168

owner/manager: Esther Thaler

The fellow behind the counter was very nice. Found a plentiful supply of El Dorado in all ages, 5, 12 and 15. He was quite proud to keep it in stock. Also had a healthy selection of Marie Brizard Creme de cacao, creme de casis, orange curacao, Apry, Grand Orange, Triple Sec, etc. Other goodies include: Sailor Jerry, Ron Pampero Anniversario, Ron Zacapa Centario, Pyrat Pistol, etc. Also had some hard to find brandies like Fundador and Presidente. A worthy find.

Next up is Denny's Liquors on Mile Marker 100, which is fairly north in the Keys to those who have never been. The sign reads as Denny's Discount Liquors. There's a cuban cafe right next door.

Denny's Liquors
Mile Marker 100
Key Largo, FL 33037
phone (305) 451-2667
Fax (305) 451-1063

purchaser: Arnaldo Diaz

The rum selection was just huge. I saw rum that I've never seen before there, such as Colombian anejo, Trinidadian rum, more Venezuelan rum, etc. They too had El Dorado, but just the 15 year. Sailor Jerry in 2 sizes. Had all three Santa Theresa rums from Venezuela in the regular size bottles AND airplane minis: Santa Teresa Orange Rum, Santa Teresa Gran Reserva (Ron Anejo), and Santa Teresa 1796 Ron Antiguo de Solera. Had a larger than normal anejo selection that was cheap. I bought the Santa Fe anejo from Colombia. Had a few others I rarely see like Mt. Gay Extra Old & Pyrat Pistol. Also had a nice Marie Brizzard selection in the liqueurs area that was equal to the other store. Lots of airplane minis, allowing me to try a bunch before going whole hog with the larger bottles. I thinkg its the best rum selection I've seen in all four counties of this side of Florida.

Two places definately worth a stroll on one's way down to or up from the keys.

My last toss in the hat is no where as big of a score, but beats driving to Key Largo to get a decent selection Marie Brizard liqueurs or Sailor Jerry. Have a couple of sipping rums like Ron Zacapa Centenario 15 year and 23 year. Its got some things I havent seen at he local ABC or Crown Wine & Spirits.

UPDATE: 12/17/2005
Scouted it out again. They had Pyrat Planters XO Gold, Santa Teresa Gran Reserva (Ron Anejo), Santa Teresa 1796 Ron Antiguo de Solera, Sea Wynde, Mt. Gay Sugar Cane, etc. Surprisingly, Ron Zacapa Centenario 15 and Ron Pampero Anniversario have been pretty common in all the places I'm frequenting. One of the few places I know carrying Sailor Jerry up here.

A1A Fine Wine & Spirits
1536 S Federal Hwy
Delray Beach, FL 33483
(561) 276-3838
They are a bit pricier than the average store, but the sign says they'll beat others prices. Haggle!

I'm learning swiftly that its the mom & pop places that have the hard to find stuff. Will post more as I find more. Happy rum hunting.

EDITED: removed opinion on Ron Centenario Anejo Reserva. I've completely changed my opinion on it since I first tasted it.

[ This Message was edited by: I dream of tiki 2006-08-23 08:31 ]

View Profile of I dream of tiki Send a personal message to I dream of tiki  Email I dream of tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jawa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-19 09:07 am   Permalink

Has anyone seen Marie Brizard Curacao around Tampa/St. Pete? The Total Wine I mentioned earier stocks a few Brizard items, but not that one. I asked about special ordering stuff, and they said if they could get it I would most likely have to order a case! So apparently I will not be trying to get St. James Hors d'Age from there...

Also, I happened to find myself in
Fine Wine & Spirits Warehouse on Gandy in Tampa, and they had a pretty good selection of rums for being many a wine place. I picked up a bottle of St. James Amber ($19.99) to try out. They had El Dorado 8, 12, and 15 yr, Barbancourt 4, 8, and 15 yr, amoung others. Prices are comparable to the prices as HiTime Wine. I will have to venture back to write down everything.

- Jason

View Profile of Jawa Send a personal message to Jawa  Email Jawa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-19 09:25 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: Chip and Andy 2009-06-05 17:05 ]

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Loki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-19 10:06 am   Permalink

Please post here...i'm having a brutal time finding Demerara in S. FL

View Profile of Loki Send a personal message to Loki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
I dream of tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-19 12:06 pm   Permalink

Yeah, to get any of the major chain stores to order anything like Demerara is like pulling teeth. I didn't know that both ABC and Crown Wine & Spirits stopped carrying Orange Curacao for over a year now due to lack of demand.

View Profile of I dream of tiki Send a personal message to I dream of tiki  Email I dream of tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
I dream of tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-03 7:00 pm   Permalink

Miami & in the area residents.... yet another cut above the rest liquor store has been found.

Sun Liquors
1646 SW 27 Ave
Miami, FJ 33145
phone: (305)442-0814
Fax: (305) 442-9297

When you approach the outside of the building, it doesn't look like much. Not flashy or anything like ABC or some Crown Wine & Spirits. Then you walk in and its like entering an oasis.

Liquers:
UPDATE 8/23/06: Ever since I bought the last bottle of MB Orange Curacao, they have ceased to reorder it. Bummer.
Marie Brizzard: Creme de Banane, Peach (Peche), Apry, Cacao, Creme de Cacao, Grand Orange, Rasberry de Bordeaux, Creme de Menthe, Cassis de Bordeaux.Also had some Bols and the usual Hiram Walker and another brand I'm not used to seeing.

Alas, no Demarara rum. No demand in the area. BUT the rum selection had lots of pluses.

• Flor de Cana, the usual selection as well as Flor de Cana Centenario 15 and 21 year
  • Ron Zacapa Centenario 15 and 23 year
  • Meyers Legend 10
  • Mt. Gay: Special Reserve, Sugar Cane and Extra Old
  • Santa Teresa: Orange Rum, 1796 Solera, Gran Reserva, and Superior
  • Zaya
  • Ron Centenario: Anejo Especial and Commemorativo
  • Coruba
  • Cohiba
  • Matusalem Platino, Classico, & Gran Reserva
  • Angustura 1919 dark rum 8 yr and Angustura dark rum 5 yr
  • Larger than usual selection of Aguardiente
  • Ron Barcelo: Anejo, Gran Anejo, Emperador and one other type
  • Ron Botran (multiple ages, up to the 12 year)
  • Ron Viejo de Caldas: 3 year and now the 8 YEAR - YUM!!!!)
  • Ron Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva(an excellent Venezelan rum that Mario had open for tasting)
  • Appleton Estate and Estate Special
  • Montecristo 12 yr
  • mini bottles of Pyrat Pistol
  • various cachacas from Brazil (Cachaca 51, etc)
    UPDATE:
    New Rums of interest:
  • Two new rums from Martinique - Depaz cane syrup & Depaz blue cane rhum agricole
  • More variations of Ron Diplomatico - Anejo and a Reserva

Mario Ledesma, the manager, also displayed some of the other lovely items they have in stock, which included some beautifully decorated and hand blown bottles of tequila and other spirits. Had a larger than usual brandy selection, including more brandies from Spain. For those of you not from the area, this store is a part of Miami that is heavily hispanic concentrated. No wonder products from Spain and South America are considerablt more prevalent than the liquor stores I visited 40 miles further north.

Mario claims to have tasted all the rums, so a discussion with him on quality and characteristics was pretty cool. He had an open bottle of Ron Diplomatico from Venezuela, which tasted divine. He can arrange for a small party of folks to have a meal(paella, etc) and bottle of wine at the store. He'll only charge minimally to cover the expense of the food and the stores' price of the bottle(s) of wine. Anyone interested should give Mario 2-3 days notice to hold a sitting. You can contact him by phone or send other inquiries to his email at
mariosunliquors@bellsouth.net.

I did ask Mario about El Dorado. Without research, he could not give me a difinitive answer if they could get it or not. However, he said that perhaps it can be purchased and transported up from the 2 stores in the Keys that I was able to find El Dorado.

Happy hunting, my fellow rum seekers. An adventure can await at the least expected store.

[ This Message was edited by: I dream of tiki 2006-08-23 08:52 ]

I dream of tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-13 3:14 pm   Permalink

Another liquor discover.. El Dorado Demarara 5 year in Hollywood, FL!

UPDATE 8-23-06: The great retro canvas sign that says Daddy-O's Liquors has been taken down. Spelling of the store's name has changed as well.
Its a wee slip of a liquor store. Hidden in the back of the store was El Dorado Demarara 5 year for $14.99, among more recently aged versions of Eldorado white, gold and dark.
5723 Hollywood Blvd. Bay-5
Hollywood, FL 33021
phone (954)965-2604

I honestly think that this store was recently sold to new owners. Two guys were building new shelves for wine in the back when I came in. The older fellow behind the counter knew nothing about rum, but sure thinks he does. Once he said all rum was the same, I turned a deaf ear.

Also, I was WAY overcharged for the bottle of Ron Viejo de Caldas3 year (Colombian) that I bought. Paid $11.98 when it was $7.99 at Crown Wine & Spirits. Doh!

Aside from that, he did have some brands I've never seen, such Fernandes and Old Oak Trinindad. He had Ron Diplomatico (pricey at $33.99, when Crown had it for $30), Pyrat Planters XO, and Mt. Gay Extra Old.
At least its El Dorado that much closer to home than the keys.

Location 2:
Crown Wine & Liquors
3500 N Federal Hwy
Boca Raton, FL 33431
(561) 392-6366

I didn't realize my luck at the time. They keep St. James Amber in stock.
They also have a version of Pyrat and some other nice aged rums that have become easier to find in these parts.

EDITED to new information, like new spelling of store names.

[ This Message was edited by: I dream of tiki 2006-08-23 09:00 ]

I dream of tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-07 3:54 pm   Permalink

Great news for South Floridians hankering for demarera rum! I just found a liquor store on Miami Beach that carries El Dorado 12 year and 15 year. Go to the rum section and look at the shelf all the way up at the top.
Gulf Liquors on Alton Road
1681 Alton Road
Miami Beach, FL 33139
Phone (305) 531-5551

Other goodies in stock are:
*Montecristo 12 year
*Pyrat XO
*Pyrat Cask 23
*Pyrat Pistol
*3 types of Santa Teresa: 1796, Orange, and Gran Reserva anejo
*Zaya
*Ron Pompero Anniversario
*Plantation - Trinidad
*Plantation 7 years
*Flor De Cana Centenario 21 years
*several types of Ron Barcelo
*several types of Ron Botran
*several types of Aguardiente and Cachaca
*Pussers Blue and Red
*Appleton Estate Special
*Marie Brizard: Poire William, Creme de Menthe, Amaretto, Triple Sec, Blackberry
Parfai Amour
*Barenjager (for those Grog Log fans who can't find this liquoer)

If you search for it long enough, it can be found.

Loki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-17 09:43 am   Permalink

El Dorado 15 year found at Beer and Liquor II in Lake Worth. The owner said he can easily get the 5 and 12 and should have some next week. He also mentioned his distributer is getting 21 y/o. Can you imagine that? mmmmmmmm! He can also get El Dorado White as well. Never tried that so it may not be worth the price.

directions

View Profile of Loki Send a personal message to Loki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Helz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-20 05:30 am   Permalink

Nice find, Loki!

I've been hearing about the El Dorado from my neighbor who has done more than a couple of tours behind a bar and really knows her way around. She introduced me to the wonder that is the Painkiller (With Pusser's and fresh ground nutmeg of course) for the superbowl...my vision has been kinda blurry ever since.

But 21 year?!? Sweet....

View Profile of Helz Send a personal message to Helz  Email Helz Goto the website of Helz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jawa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-22 11:43 am   Permalink

Wow, you guys in SoFL are really finding a ton of stuff!

Have any of you seen falernum anywhere? There are a few recipes I have been wanting to try, but I am missing this key ingredient.

Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-22 5:22 pm   Permalink

www.hitimewine.net

Save yourselves the headaches and just order online. This is my favorite site. They've got good prices and good sales. St James Amber is currently 14.99 on sale (from 20.99) and Lemon Hart 151 was recently marked down from 26.99 to 19.99 (but that sale is over). You may think that the shipping will make this an expensive way to purchase booze but as I remember it, it wasn't that bad. If you catch something on sale it can make you back most of your shipping and they do have something on sale all of the time.

Jawa: Currently they have 25oz of Davinci Falernum for 6.99 (non-alch) and John Taylor Velvet Falernum 750 for 14.99.

I've been happy with them.

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jawa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-22 7:30 pm   Permalink

Damn, too bad about the Lemon Hart...I am running low...

Thanks for the falernum info Kono!

Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-22 7:37 pm   Permalink

Whoo...I just saw that they've got Appleton White on sale at 8.99 a 750. Good price!

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation