FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Florida Rum & Ingredient Finder
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Florida Rum & Ingredient Finder
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-02-24 2:27 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-02-22 17:22, Kono wrote:
http://www.hitimewine.net

Save yourselves the headaches and just order online. This is my favorite site. They've got good prices and good sales. St James Amber is currently 14.99 on sale (from 20.99) and Lemon Hart 151 was recently marked down from 26.99 to 19.99 (but that sale is over). You may think that the shipping will make this an expensive way to purchase booze but as I remember it, it wasn't that bad. If you catch something on sale it can make you back most of your shipping and they do have something on sale all of the time.

Jawa: Currently they have 25oz of Davinci Falernum for 6.99 (non-alch) and John Taylor Velvet Falernum 750 for 14.99.

I've been happy with them.

Damn, they have great sale prices! Rhum St. James Hors d'Age for $29.99 (Beachbum Berry's $100 Mai Tai ingredient), Espolon Anejo (one of my favorite tequilas) for $31.99! It may be worth the shipping costs.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Loki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-13 11:19 am   Permalink

South Florida drunks,
My source for El Dorado is coming through in a big way. Fully stocked El Dorado Products. White, Gold, Dark, 5Y, 12Y,15Y and soon 21Y.
The White, Gold and Dark 750L $11.99

View Profile of Loki Send a personal message to Loki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-14 5:03 pm   Permalink

Just found Rhum Clement at the local ABC liquors.

A TC thread on it
here.

If it's at one ABC then yours should be able to get it no problemo. I didn't buy it because it's $31.99 and I wanted to check Tiki Central before splurging. I'll probably go back and get some now that I see it's gotten rave reviews.

A follow up to the hitimewine.net recommendation... I just received a shipment: 2 bottles of St James Royal Amber, a bottle of 80 proof Lemon Hart, a bottle of 151 Lemon Hart and a bottle of Lillet Blanc (to make the Corpse Reviver) and it came to around $82 with another $19 or so for S/H. So $100 bucks in total. I think that if these rums were available around here it would've probably cost as much or more buying them locally.

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-06 7:10 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-09-27 19:05, JonPez wrote:
Hello all...
Just wanted to tell about a liquor store that I stopped at today.
In a very touristy area of town, right off International Drive near Universal Studios.
Joseph's Liquor & Fine Wine (407) 351-4470

I finally made it to Joseph's today and wow what a large selection of rums! Biggest selection I've yet seen in Florida. There are a couple of problems: first, a good third of the rums I've never heard of nor have I seen them ever mentioned here on TC (I suppose that's redundant); second, a lot of the rums are waaay expensive.

I'm talking $5-10 more than you'd find them elsewhere. Not all them, though, its a bit strange. The Cruzan single barrel was $30 just like it is everywhere else. Sea Wynde, for example, I usually find for about $31-35 around here. At Joseph's it was $43! More were overpriced than priced comparable to the competition.

Another weird thing is the selection. They had St James Extra Old and Hors d'Age but not the regular Amber. They had Eldorado 5yo and 15yo but no 12. And they had the cheap Eldorado's in white, gold and dark.

I don't mean to sound too picky. Its definitely worth checking out. Study up on your rums and prices before going. If you find something new and outstanding, let us know.

Anyone in the Orlando area know where to get Tamarind syrup and tamarind juice? I want to make a Monkeypod but am having zero luck finding those ingredients. I've found the tamarind nectar but thats not the same. World Market stocks Torani but no Tamarindo (and no orgeat my last three visits!).

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
I dream of tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-07 5:31 pm   Permalink

Kono, have you tried calling any local middle eastern markets or asian markets about the tamarind syrup? That would be my best recommendation to find it, as well as to find some form of almond syrup in lieu of Orgeat.

View Profile of I dream of tiki Send a personal message to I dream of tiki  Email I dream of tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-07 6:18 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-05-07 17:31, I dream of tiki wrote:
Kono, have you tried calling any local middle eastern markets or asian markets about the tamarind syrup? That would be my best recommendation to find it, as well as to find some form of almond syrup in lieu of Orgeat.

Yeah, I was thinking I might have to hit some of the demographically fine-tuned stores to find some of the tamarind. Its such a pain because I always feel like I'm obligated to buy something even if I don't see anything I want. If I don't buy something I imagine they're thinking: "Dumb ass cracker must've wandered in here by accident." So I buy the dried up fish heads even though I don't need them.

I'm good to go on the orgeat. I always keep four or five bottles in reserve. I just like to stock up whenever I see some and I do like the Torani brand. I've found that if you're trying out the recipes in your Beachbum Berry and etc books and you make a real stinker of a drink, one you don't think you can finish, throw a half ounce to an ounce of Torani orgeat in it and its instantly quite acceptable, if not downright delicious!

I've emailed Torani for a list of all stores that sell their products in the area. Maybe I need to contact Jumex also.

Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-11 5:01 pm   Permalink

Monkeyman says that he used tamarind nectar for the monkeypod so that you can find at Publix/Albertson's/Winn-Dixie. I think I got the Goya brand.

Today I found tamarind syrup at Winn-Dixie! Looking at it, I'll betcha that the Torani looks nothing like this stuff. This has a very "home made" look to it, with lots of pulp. The brand is Sirop El Morro. Its made in Puerto Rico and the US distributor is here in Orlando. By the same company, they also had coconut, surinam cherry and sesame seed syrup. As a big poke lover I am very intrigued by the sesame seed syrup!

JTD
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-12 07:43 am   Permalink

Thanks, Kono! I've been beating the bushes and Winn-Dixie would have been way, way, down my list of places to look.

View Profile of JTD Send a personal message to JTD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
I dream of tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-11 8:33 pm   Permalink

Perhaps not a rum, but a find for me anyway. I just found Stock Maraschino Liqueur (60 proof) at Volpe Liquers on Miami Beach.

Volpe Liquors
1631 Washington Avenue
Miami Beach, FL 33139
(305)538-0809
8 AM - 10 PM

Looks like I may be working in that area a lot more this year. If anyone needs me to pick some up, let me know.

View Profile of I dream of tiki Send a personal message to I dream of tiki  Email I dream of tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SRQTIKI

Posted: 2006-07-19 1:59 pm   Permalink

Being fairly new to rums, i have been looking at stores in Sarasota and came across Norman's Liquors on Clark Road ( right off of I-75 )

Pretty nice selection and the prices seemed reasonable to me as well - I made some notes as to what they have in stock

Sea Wynde , Myers Legend, Flora de Cana 12 year, El Dorado demurra 15 year, Ron Matusalem 10 yr , Rhum Barbancourt 15 year, Ron Artigo Aniversario, Pyrat XO Reserve, Pamero Aniversario, plus of course , Mt Gay extra old, Goslings Black, Sailor Jerry
--- no st james though ----

I have to go back and pick up a bottle or 2 and try some different rums as well as scope out other brands. Maybe worth a trip for some people on the gulf coast.

Regards

View Profile of SRQTIKI Send a personal message to SRQTIKI  Email SRQTIKI     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Blank Reg
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-07-25 9:45 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-12-14 23:23, I dream of tiki wrote:
I just found two places in the Florida Keys with incredible selection. Dare I say it coud be our South Florida oasis for hard to find rum? Should I list here or would you rather I start a new topic?

The Florida Keys would be one place that one could find Rum of all kinds. After all it was one of the Pirates' hang outs in the Caribbean, the place should be lousy with rum.

View Profile of Blank Reg Send a personal message to Blank Reg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jawa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-08 07:41 am   Permalink

I was in Lueken's Liquor a couple weeks ago, and HOLY CRAP, they have Marie Brizard Curacao...anda lot of other Marie Brizard items as well!!!

Also, they had no TV syrups, but instead had Collins ORgeat and Simple Syrup. They are made with sugar, and not corn syrup, so that is awesome, and they are about $5 a 750mL bottle. The Curacao is $19.99.

- Jason

View Profile of Jawa Send a personal message to Jawa  Email Jawa Goto the website of Jawa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
I dream of tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-17 9:52 pm   Permalink

It has been requested to locate more stores in the Ft. Lauderdale area that stock some of our fav rums. New find:

Hollywood Liquors (different from Hollywood Liquor further west)
1011 N. Federal Highway
(954) 922-5416

Not the largest selection of rum in the world, but some goodies in stock. Some we now see everywhere, some are still harder to find.
Coruba. Appleton white, Estate X/V, and Select. El Dorado white, dark, 5 year, 12 year and 15 year. Pyrat blanco, pistol, and XO reserve. Mt Gay eclipse, Reserve, Sugar Cane and Extra Old. Ron Diplomatico reserva exclusiva. Ron Pampero Anniversario. Ron Zacapa 15 year. 10 Cane. Barbancourt White & others. Montecristo 12 year. Santa Theresa Gran reserve and 1796. Zaya. Ron Viejo de Caldas 3 year. Guaro (a white rum from Costa Rica). A fair selection of cachacas, which has become a standard down here with the better liquor stores.

Since this thread has begun, I have found rum selection improving in the more serious stores down here. That may not ever be the case with the Walgreens liquors of the world. Thank goodness for mom and pop's and specific franchises of the bigger chains that are listening to their customers. Brands like Flor de Cana, Mt. Gay, Barbancourt, Appleton, Cruzan, Pusser's and Goslings are now standard staples, which is why I have to debate now whether its worth naming now or not.

Other consistent staples that are present are the cheaper rum brands like Cortez, Castillo, Brugal, Don Q, Ron de Barrilito, Ron Botran, and a few others. The closer to ethnic neighborhoods, the more these other interesting brands appear. Someday I do want to do a taste test to see how they rate. Might be surprised at what can be desirable characteristics.

Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-28 4:20 pm   Permalink

Since Walgreens started carrying some of the Trader Vics rums many moons ago, I would occasionally drop in and see if they'd stocked up on any other TV products and today finally yielded results. For about a week now, Walgreens has been stocking Trader Vics Macadamia Nut Liqueur (yum) and Kona Coffee Liqueur! They were only $18.99 a bottle which is a better price than I paid up North.

GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-30 08:42 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-08-28 16:20, Kono wrote:
For about a week now, Walgreens has been stocking Trader Vics Macadamia Nut Liqueur (yum) and Kona Coffee Liqueur!

Have you ever spoken to a store manager to see if they can stock TV syrups (orgeat, passion fruit)? I asked about them once in a Walgreens that had other TV products and all I got was blank stares.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation