[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Collecting Tiki » » Hawaiian Souvenir Glasses
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Hawaiian Souvenir Glasses
Sweet Daddy Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-07 5:02 pm   Permalink

For my Savage Renewal entry I thought I'd share some pictures of my favorite Hawaiian souvenir bar glasses. I like to collect these because:

1. They're cheap. I can't remember spending more than 2 bucks for a glass at a thrift store -- most cost 49˘.

2. I can keep my vintage mugs safe on the shelf and use these to drink from. Besides being less of a disaster if one breaks, I prefer to drink from glass because I like to see the beautiful color of my drink.

Most common is the "Suck 'Em Up" glass with the revisionist Mai Tai recipe on the back (it has pineapple and orange juice). I have about half a dozen of these "suckers".

These Don Ho glasses are pretty common too.

Two styles of
Al Harrington (The South Pacific Man) glasses.

A Trader Vic's Waikiki glass. I believe this design was unique to the Hawaii location and that there are two others in the series.

A lovely little rocks glass with Hawaiian tourist icons in black and gold.

Another nifty scenic glass. I like the 50s illustration style.

Cheers!

[ This Message was edited by: Sweet Daddy Tiki 2008-08-21 17:55 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Sweet Daddy Tiki 2008-08-21 17:57 ]

View Profile of Sweet Daddy Tiki Send a personal message to Sweet Daddy Tiki  Goto the website of Sweet Daddy Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-07 5:20 pm   Permalink

Hey SDT, those are some really great pieces (and well photographed, too!). I like using tumblers for the same reasons you mentioned. That gold & black one is especially nice, and that Trader Vic's Waikiki glass is very, very cool.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-07 5:24 pm   Permalink

Great post SDT!

Those are some wonderful glasses!

Hey I've got the shot version of that black and gold one, I'll send it to you if you'd like to add it to your collection.

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pepe le Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-07 6:02 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the great pictures SDT! I love the Don Ho & Al Harrington glasses!

View Profile of Pepe le Tiki Send a personal message to Pepe le Tiki  Goto the website of Pepe le Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
naugatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-07 7:22 pm   Permalink

I’ve always had a soft spot for Those Don Ho “Suck Em Up!" Glasses with the playful bright red font and have a few shot glasses and a beer mug with the logo. As a kid I use to see them on bumper stickers and t-shirts which I believe were made by a company called Crazy Shirts. I wish I attended one of those Suck Em Up shows but read this brief account of one in an article on The Modern Drunkard webpage -

BR: I remember in 1980 when I was Honolulu, they used to have what they called Suck Em Up Shows, meaning you paid one price and you could see Don Ho and suck up all the booze you wanted. They had these huge glasses with Don Ho's picture on them and every time your glass was almost empty they'd refill it from these pitchers of Long Island Ice Teas. And all the while Don Ho would walk around saying, "Suck em up, brudder, suck em up!"

Long Island Ice Tea??

http://www.boydrice.com/interviews/drinkingwiththedevil.html

[ This Message was edited by: naugatiki 2005-09-07 19:25 ]

View Profile of naugatiki Send a personal message to naugatiki  Email naugatiki Goto the website of naugatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
puamana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-08 2:00 pm   Permalink

Great post ! These are my favorite kind of glasses to use. I especially like the Trader Vics Waikiki glass. Nice photography, too.

View Profile of puamana Send a personal message to puamana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sweet Daddy Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-08 6:24 pm   Permalink

Thanks. I went to great expense to build a special photo studio:

Note the special instrument for bottom lighting:

Tikiwahine: Sure, send me your shot glass, but you do know, don't you, that Slacks Ferret collects shots glasses?

blog

[ This Message was edited by: Sweet Daddy Tiki 2008-05-23 12:49 ]

View Profile of Sweet Daddy Tiki Send a personal message to Sweet Daddy Tiki  Goto the website of Sweet Daddy Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-08 9:53 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-09-07 17:02, Sweet Daddy Tiki wrote:

A Trader Vic's Waikiki glass. I believe this design was unique to the Hawaii location and that there are two others in the series.

[ This Message was edited by: filslash 2008-09-15 15:03 ]

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sweet Daddy Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-08 10:07 pm   Permalink

Geez, if that's only glass #3, what are they doing by glass #5? Any chance of posting pictures, Fil?

blog

Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-09 4:00 pm   Permalink

From Mike's
archive

[ This Message was edited by: filslash 2008-09-15 15:04 ]

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sweet Daddy Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-14 9:59 pm   Permalink

fil/, thanks for posting those TV pictures.

Here's a couple of glasses I bought today.

Akua Hehena (da devil of madness) from da Sting, a discotheque in the Princess Kaiulani Hotel, Waikiki.

Not strictly tiki, but so cute:

blog

[ This Message was edited by: Sweet Daddy Tiki 2008-05-23 12:43 ]

Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-15 4:33 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: filslash 2008-09-15 15:04 ]

DawnTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-15 5:50 pm   Permalink

I don't know much about this glass. I won it on Ebay awhile ago. I remember reading in the Tiki Bar's review pages about a Beachcomber in Florida somewhere. Does anyone else know anything about it?

View Profile of DawnTiki Send a personal message to DawnTiki  Email DawnTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-15 5:58 pm   Permalink

Puamana has a paper item (I don't remember exactly what it is, I don't remember if it is a menu) from that Beachcomber in New York.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unkle John
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-06 12:48 pm   Permalink

Modern day glass:

Hukilau Lounge
Key West, Florida

View Profile of Unkle John Send a personal message to Unkle John  Email Unkle John Goto the website of Unkle John     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation