FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Locating Tiki » » The Fabulous Ilikai Hotel (Honolulu)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
The Fabulous Ilikai Hotel (Honolulu)
Satan's Sin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-08 12:37 pm   Permalink

Name: Ilikai
Type: Hotel
Street: 1777 Ala Moana Blvd,
City: Honolulu
State: HI
Zip: 96815
Phone: 808-949-3811

Description: The Ilikai Hotel History. (From the Ilikai website)
Real estate tycoon Chinn Ho built the Ilikai Hotel & Suites in Honolulu to be Hawaii’s finest high-rise hotel in 1964. Soaring to 30 stories with a rooftop restaurant and stunning glass elevator, the Ilikai was a sensation in design and the work of the architect of Seattle’s Space Needle, John Graham. Perhaps the Ilikai’s strongest claim to fame was from its prominence in the television series “Hawaii Five-0.” During the opening credit the Ilikai’s luxurious penthouse is featured.
http://www.ilikaihotel.com

~

I have only recently become aware of this fine super-tiki, super-midcentury hotel and can't believe there hasn't been a thread on this hotel specifically. I've searched carefully, found scant mention of the Ilikai in "Message Body" and no mention in "Subject."

It was opened in 1964, designed by the same architect who built the Space Needle. It is the same hotel Jack Lord stood on top of in the opening sequence in Hawaii Five-O. Several great Hawaiian albums were recorded live in one of its lounges.

As one can plainly see from their website, it has undergone a loving and period-correct remodel:

http://www.1313ilikai.com/

I know this. My life will not be complete until Mr. and Mrs. Satan's Sin renew their passion in the Bridal Suite!

Aloha!

[ Edited by: Bora Boris - Changed format and moved to Locating Tiki - 2012-01-05 20:17 ]

View Profile of Satan's Sin Send a personal message to Satan's Sin  Email Satan's Sin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-08 12:51 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-09-08 12:37, Satan's Sin wrote:
I know this. My life will not be complete until Mr. and Mrs. Satan's Sin renew their passion in the Bridal Suite!
Aloha!

Don't forget to post pics!
Thanks for the heads up on the Ilikai.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-09-08 1:13 pm   Permalink

Here's the regular web site to check on rooms and rates. A quick glance puts the hotel in the over $200/night category.

http://www.ilikaihotel.com/

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-09-08 1:19 pm   Permalink

I wonder if room 1313 with it's mid-century decor is still available for rent, or if the web site is old and outdated.

The Rennaisance Ilikai site mentions nothing about room 1313, and it appears the rooms have standard hotel decor.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Satan's Sin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-08 1:27 pm   Permalink

I got the 1313 website out of the brand-new issue of atomicranch magazine.

An actual "1313" room puzzles me. American hotels almost never have a 13th floor.

View Profile of Satan's Sin Send a personal message to Satan's Sin  Email Satan's Sin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CaseyJPS
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-12 09:14 am   Permalink

I'm so glad someone re-discovered the Illikai. If you remember, it was right across the alley from the Waikikian (with the classic hyperbolic parabaloid roof over the lobby) and the Tahitian Lanai restaurant/bar which overlooked the "Hilton" Lagoon. If I recall correctly, and if you knew how to do this, you could walk out of an obscure alley exit on the first level of the Illikai and walk about twenty paces to the alley entrance of the Tahitian Lanai, just a stown's throw (if that) from the Ala Wai Yacht Harbor.

My brother-in-law used to play on a mound of sand where the Illikai sits and lived on a schooner in the Ala Wai Yacht Harbor.

Very cool!

View Profile of CaseyJPS Send a personal message to CaseyJPS  Email CaseyJPS Goto the website of CaseyJPS     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
naugatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-12 10:19 am   Permalink

Last time I was there I was hanging out by the pool around dusk and was pleasantly surprised when someone came out of no where blowing a large conch shell and another group began lighting the surrounding tiki torches. There may not be a tiki in sight but their heart is in the right place. Plus the ride to the “Top of the I” in the glass elevator is something everyone should experience.

View Profile of naugatiki Send a personal message to naugatiki  Email naugatiki Goto the website of naugatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2005-09-12 11:03 pm   Permalink

Some stuff from/related to the Ilikai...

outside of a brochure

brochure inside (more interesting stuff inside too, maybe I can post later)

Ilikai presents music!

Arthur Lyman at the Ilikai!

Arthur Lyman really at the Ilikai! And Mel Torme too.

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2005-09-13 10:10 pm   Permalink

Compelled to post more...

More from the brochure. Dig that white tv console in the suite.

Another ad for the Ilikai

Yet another ad for the Ilikai

And for context...

An illustrated map of Waikiki from 1965, the year after it opened. Note the Ilikai in the lower left corner.

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-13 10:15 pm   Permalink

"Hong Kong Junk" has got to be one of the best nightclub names I've heard.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jimbo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-09-17 11:43 am   Permalink

The Ilikai is indeed a super fabulous hotel (it is actually 1/2 hotel & 1/2 privately owned condos). I only wish all of the rooms had been restored to mid-century glory. We put together a partnership to buy unit 1313 and have shipped over crates of cool original stuff from Calif. & are continuing to upgrade it. We think the inside of the units should match the great Ilikai architecture. Hopefully more modernists will take interest in the property and follow suit. Our ultimite goal is to raise enthusiasm for preservation of the terrific mid-century modern architecture that exists in Hawaii. Right now it seems to be under appreciated, and a lot is being lost. If anybody is going to Waikiki and would like to stay somwhere with a little more flavor than a Sheraton/Hilton etc. 1313 can be rented thru the rental agency in the Ilikai at 808-946-0716, its pretty reasonable(if you call, please let em know your into modernism, because right now they just think we are some kind of lunatics).
Mahalo

View Profile of jimbo Send a personal message to jimbo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MaiTaiMafia
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-09-17 12:26 pm   Permalink

I've been away from TC for a while - it was cool to come back and see SS's post about the Ilikai. I live on O'ahu and of all the downtown hotels, I think the Ilikai is the coolest,

SS- did you actually visit the Ilikai?

Thanks for all the great info!

MTM

View Profile of MaiTaiMafia Send a personal message to MaiTaiMafia  Email MaiTaiMafia     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MaiTaiMafia
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-09-17 12:36 pm   Permalink

Jimbo-

Were you successful in your bid to purchase 1313? Awesome if you were. I agree with you - they just don't really care about our "tastes" here... Downtown is just a mash of every kind of architectural style. There is no central theme anymore. If you look at the brochures others posted here, you see how uncrowded Waikiki was back then. Now, it's hard to find the hotel you are looking for because there are so many others surrounding it. It's like the current Las Vegas strip but with a lot less room!!! (and you're right- they probably do think we're crazy).

Aloha

MTM

View Profile of MaiTaiMafia Send a personal message to MaiTaiMafia  Email MaiTaiMafia     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jimbo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-09-17 2:36 pm   Permalink

MTM, yes we bought it. You can see what have done with it on the website www.1313ilikai.com. Do you know if there are plans to tear down La Ronde? That is another MCM gem. Mahalo to Aquari for posting all that great stuff, I never knew that Mel Torme played at the ilikai
jimbo.

View Profile of jimbo Send a personal message to jimbo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Satan's Sin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-17 3:01 pm   Permalink

MaiTaiMafia --

No, I have nver visited the Ikikai. I just stumbled across it in cyberspace one day and fell instantly in love and of course had to bring everyone this important news.

I will certainly stay there on my next island visit!

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation