FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving surfntiki 2009
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
surfntiki 2009
Capt'n Skully
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-09 07:00 am   Permalink

Those are killer- Nice work!!

View Profile of Capt'n Skully Send a personal message to Capt'n Skully  Email Capt'n Skully     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
capotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-09 09:29 am   Permalink

It has taken several years to fine tune the process.Yes there is paper behind the wire.Get yourself a tube/pvc or paper tube wrap it in black paper and wire.Now completely cover tube with mortar the dryer the better,too much water in the mortar will cause problems later.Now the fun begins!Get your favorite pocket knife and start sculpting,thats what I did for my first 30 or so tikis ,I have made some tools now that work great.I have been sculpting with mortar for several years, wanted tikis for my house so I applied my skill towards tikis.I would suggest trying a small project,maybe a 6 inch tube,20 inches tall or so.Expect to spend a couple of hours to complete,after you start there is no stopping,mortar only gives you so much time to work.After a couple days drying do some light sanding with the toughest 60 grit you can find.(When the mortar is dry it will be completely white),do not sand too early or it may chip off chunks.I would use a concrete sealer,I also texture the concrete,but on moa head sealer will be ok,it comes in several different colors.Then paint with enamel spray paint then you can remove some paint with thinner on a rag,start rubbing and replying to get the finish you want.The largest tiki I have made is 50 inches or so and is only 75 lbs.Good luck.capotiki

View Profile of capotiki Send a personal message to capotiki  Email capotiki Goto the website of capotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-09 11:15 am   Permalink

I have to say that those are some of the nicest cement tikis. Such detail. I make cement tikis too. I'm probably done for the year but will be back to doing it next year.

You sand to make it smooth?

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
capotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-09 4:19 pm   Permalink

Teakey most definitely sand,but I have a secret sauce that I texture the tiki with,also try using a paint brush and water on the mortar after it sets for 1/2 hour or so,use a fine natural fiber brush.That will remove most of the sharp edges making the sanding mush easier.

[ This Message was edited by: capotiki 2005-10-03 09:40 ]

View Profile of capotiki Send a personal message to capotiki  Email capotiki Goto the website of capotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-10 12:54 pm   Permalink

WOW!! Amazing tikis.

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
capotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-10 1:35 pm   Permalink

I took photos of the process I go thru to sculpt.50 inch lono tiki statue.I will try to have them posted soon.Thanks for all the great feedback.If anyone visits tiki farm Holden has let me display a tiki there.He is one hell of a guy! The tiki is kane tiki and he one of my best so far.I plan on creating something special for him.

McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-11 5:01 pm   Permalink

Thank you for sharing the process bro. We had some serious revelations in working with the portland/sand mix for the waterfall after it has set for about an hour or a little more. We were moving around and making it look so real "rock-like" (You see, there are no rocks, boulders, etc. in Florida so you have to improvise! )Anyways, I can identify with what your process is about. We bought a mixer recently and life has changed as far as energy expended vs output. Hand mixing is harsh when it comes to portland. It's F'n Clay! try mixing it by hand. Andin order to go vertical, it has to be mixed dry. Too wet and it comes tumbling down when you least expect. This is sorta fun, but, I miss carving.

Mahaloz brudda.

You goin to Hukilau?

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
capotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-11 6:00 pm   Permalink

I always mix by hand,I have a better control of the mortar as far as controlling moisture content.Most of my tikis weigh 50 to 75 lbs,not too much mixing to do.It is good for the soul,no power necessary.

GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-11 7:10 pm   Permalink

NEATO! I've seen folks use foam on wire, but cement....now that is cool. I bet they are Florida weatherproof too, aye? Beatiful designs. Thanks for posting them. Can't wait to see your lono.

-Gman

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
capotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-14 3:32 pm   Permalink

I will post the completed picture soon!He is now ready for painting.

Moondance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-14 5:49 pm   Permalink

capotiki-
Very nice, another fine tiki artist!!
Is that a sonic tube under the wire mesh or pvc?

View Profile of Moondance Send a personal message to Moondance  Email Moondance Goto the website of Moondance     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
capotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-14 5:51 pm   Permalink

sonic tube,8 inches in diameter

surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-14 6:59 pm   Permalink

Very cool! Fresh designs...unique. I'll never try that stuff, I'll leave it up to you professionals! Thanks for sharing, and welcome.

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
capotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-15 6:37 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: capotiki 2005-10-06 21:32 ]

Moondance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-16 12:03 pm   Permalink

Capotiki-
Is it cool if Annie & I try making a Moai out of mortor using your framing technic? We would love to have a Tiki we could leave outside all winter long. The rest of the guys will stay in the warm house with us.
Let me know if it's alright with you and we will post our progress photo's.
Thanks!
Annie & Wesley

The world is good-natured to people who are good natured.

- William Thackeray

[ This Message was edited by: Moondance 2005-09-16 12:04 ]

View Profile of Moondance Send a personal message to Moondance  Email Moondance Goto the website of Moondance     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation