FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Moondance
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
Moondance
Moondance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-11 4:48 pm   Permalink

I'm almost done with the 2 Faced Tiki, now the sanding begins. Any suggestions with it would be greatly appreciated.

[ This Message was edited by: Moondance 2005-09-11 16:49 ]

View Profile of Moondance Send a personal message to Moondance  Email Moondance Goto the website of Moondance     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-11 4:54 pm   Permalink

WOW! That is wicked! Sand it up, stain it up, finish it up, and move on to the next one......

-Gman

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
turbosickboy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-11 4:59 pm   Permalink

This one is so damn cool! Keep it up with that crazy style...

Quote:

On 2005-09-11 16:48, Moondance wrote:
I'm almost done with the 2 Faced Tiki, now the sanding begins. Any suggestions with it would be greatly appreciated.

[ This Message was edited by: Moondance 2005-09-11 16:49 ]

View Profile of turbosickboy Send a personal message to turbosickboy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Moondance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-11 6:12 pm   Permalink

Thank you very much for the props.
When I'm finished sanding I think I will add a nose ring to the second side.
Wes

View Profile of Moondance Send a personal message to Moondance  Email Moondance Goto the website of Moondance     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-11 6:38 pm   Permalink

NICE! How did I miss this thread. Great idea, very original. Stain that bad boy up, and let's see it. They're all lookin' good.

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Moondance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-12 7:58 pm   Permalink

I guess I have the nerve to post pictures of my first chainsaw/angle grinder Tiki. I did this about a month ago and was unhappy with the outcome. So I went small to practice. Criticism is welcome please!

I guess I feel comfortable here to show my junk.
GMAN- I guess those logs will have to wait a little, huh.
Wesley

GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-12 8:08 pm   Permalink

No way Wes. You're ready.

Just think about what you want to see and make it happen. On the tiki above, it looks like you didn't spend much time on the lips/mouth or different layers. Think of your carving as a series of layers. The more layers the better it will look (within reason). Start with the higher points, like the headdress, eyebrows, nose, eye cups, lips etc. Then carve deeper in for other layers such as the teeth, forehead, and maybe the eye details. It's all experimentation and finding what works for you. It sounds like you have a ton of wood now, so have at it. Be safe and spend some time learning what works for you. I can't wait to see how your style evolves.

Gman

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Moondance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-13 11:02 am   Permalink

I see what you mean about levels. As I look at this and from what I've learned doing the smaller ones. I'm so obsessed with carving when I speak with coworkers I look at their faces and think how would I go about carving it in wood. Do you think I should go back and fix that one or toss it inthe fireplace??
Wes

congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-13 4:29 pm   Permalink

moondance...I really like the lines and style of your
two faced tiki...and the first one...it's alright for an
early effort...keep it to show how much you've progressed.
sounds like you've got the bug too...when I'm not selling
cars at work i'm sketching my next carving...everyone
thinks I'm nuts...but they like 'em!

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Moondance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-13 8:50 pm   Permalink

My coworkers think I'm insane because of my obsession of tikis. Yet they all have asked for one.

Sam Gambino
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-13 11:20 pm   Permalink

Cool carvings, Moondance.... Spreading that tiki around!

View Profile of Sam Gambino Send a personal message to Sam Gambino  Email Sam Gambino Goto the website of Sam Gambino     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-14 07:43 am   Permalink

Yes Moondance, keep up the carving and keep the old ones. They are reminders of how much you have learned and how far you have come. Can't wait til the next ones come out.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Palama Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-14 1:33 pm   Permalink

Don't..... stop! Don't.. stop! Don't, stop!

DON'T STOP! you're doing great!

View Profile of Palama Tiki Send a personal message to Palama Tiki  Email Palama Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Moondance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-14 5:52 pm   Permalink

Thanks Jeff for your inspiration and also that of the other incredible artists here.

Moondance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-15 6:10 pm   Permalink

We have a new arrival at our home today and boy are we stoked!! We are proud owners of a GMAN original chainsaw Tiki God.

THANK YOU SO MUCH GREG FOR THE OPPORTUNITY TO OWN ONE OF YOUR FINE PIECES OF ARTWORK
Annie & Wes

The world is good-natured to people who are good natured.

- William Thackeray

[ This Message was edited by: Moondance 2005-09-16 08:09 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation