FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki How fast are we losing tiki?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
How fast are we losing tiki?
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-14 5:39 pm   Permalink

Can't make it this weekend. Promised Mrs. Pappy a weekend. Next weekend would be swell.

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johnman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-14 7:35 pm   Permalink

Hi all - just started a thread over in the events forum for NE tiki events:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=16548&forum=4&0

Humuhumu - thanks for the kickstart

Aloha!

Now back to the current subject...

View Profile of johnman Send a personal message to johnman  Goto the website of johnman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
foamy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-15 05:41 am   Permalink

I too, agree with the Jab. I certainly fit the profile he decribed. A friend visited the Silver Lake Inn last week and said he couldn't stay. It was described as run down and filthy. No customers either, and this was Labor Day. It can't be long before it goes away. The Tiki Bar in Solomon's Is. is a tiki bar in name and decor only. The Chesapeake Bay area is ripe for a new (or really, ANY) tiki place.

Back to the Jab's comments. I got an order from Amazon last night: No, Thanks - the 70's punk rebellion or something like that (best $58 I ever spent on music, my records are trashed), Ultra Lounge's Organs in Orbit, Bachelor Pad Royal and Magazine's Where the Power is... . A friend saw what I had bought. They just didn't get it. And, you know what? I'm not sure I do either. I sure was a happy boy last night.

View Profile of foamy Send a personal message to foamy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
alohabros
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-15 3:50 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-09-14 11:03, thejab wrote:
... There may be other revivals in the future, bit I don't think it's likely to happen...

... in twenty years, the truly hip will dig deep and be buying, selling, trading & knocking off chingy & fifty cent cds, donning poofter diddy & j-low kmart threads found at the various & sundry thrift store gold mines in tj, laredo & nogales, while sucking down budweiser's courvoisier at the local walmartiki dance club... now that's a scene...

View Profile of alohabros Send a personal message to alohabros      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Matt Reese
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-15 5:01 pm   Permalink

Just wanted to get in my two cents here. I think that as fast as the original stuff disappears all the creative people who have taken the movement(if you want to call it that)seriously will create anew. If it means supporting a small establishment that is just getting off the ground, or continuing support of a well known classic I am all for it. The thing about trends in the media or whatever has no real bearing on me when it comes to something I enjoy. I agree with riding out the storm.I think each of us as individuals can really make an impact to keep Tiki alive and well. Taking time to be open to the new while respecting and preserving the old can be tough but well worth it.

View Profile of Matt Reese Send a personal message to Matt Reese  Email Matt Reese     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bargoyle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-16 1:07 pm   Permalink

Well put Matt, well put.

View Profile of Bargoyle Send a personal message to Bargoyle  Email Bargoyle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2017-06-22 1:40 pm   Permalink

I was doing a little cocktail research an hour or so ago and I ran into this article in the New York Post on "loss of history" in New York City in July of 2016. There is a parallel to what we tiki folks struggle with. In this article, it tells the story of some pretty cool vintage stuff getting (potentially) replaced with new "sleek and glitzy" and the bar's owner getting mercilessly shafted and evicted. It's sad but worth reading.

http://nypost.com/2016/06/30/all-the-history-thats-going-to-die-with-the-campbell-apartment/

Then a post-reopening follow-up article seems to indicate that all was pretty well preserved with some needed updates and upgrades when the place re-opened on May 1, 2017.

http://gothamist.com/2017/05/17/campbell_apartment_reopened.php

So while the situation was very scary at first, this place seems like it fared quite well in the end but only due to the "historic" status attached to the space.

I do think that the tactics used against the previous operator by the Metro Transit Authority and the new operator were pretty sleazy. The new guy came in and threw a lot of cash at the owners (MTA) and then was able to oust the guy who lovingly restored and made this place his passion for so many years. That's life sometimes...

Will the new place make adequate profit and survive? We'll have to wait and see.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiCat

Posted: 2017-07-03 9:11 pm   Permalink

This 12-year old conversation is amazing. I had a really good time reading it.

View Profile of TikiCat Send a personal message to TikiCat      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2017-07-05 08:27 am   Permalink

I agree. As for the "loss of tiki," it seems to still be growing at a great clip. As others reported recently, in 2017 we have a new high-profile water park in Orlando which contains clown tiki. And personally, I am running into new and possibly undocumented "tiki" bars in little out-of-the-way places in my travels. They're far from Mai-Kai quality, but they are proof that the tiki vibe is still appealing. Not sure where I'm going to post my pics yet, but I may post here just to show stuff is still being added around the country.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mike and marie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-07-09 7:29 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-07-05 08:27, AceExplorer wrote:
I agree. As for the "loss of tiki," it seems to still be growing at a great clip. As others reported recently, in 2017 we have a new high-profile water park in Orlando which contains clown tiki. And personally, I am running into new and possibly undocumented "tiki" bars in little out-of-the-way places in my travels. They're far from Mai-Kai quality, but they are proof that the tiki vibe is still appealing. Not sure where I'm going to post my pics yet, but I may post here just to show stuff is still being added around the country.

You can also post links to main threads in Locating Tiki.

There are new and often very nice tiki places coming up. Just 10-15 years ago, in Cleveland for instance there only was a handful of 60s Chinese joints with exotic cocktails in mugs, TIKIDAVID's compound, and a handful of gone, closed sites like the Sheraton Kon-Tiki downtown and a few Oceanic Arts installations. Today, all but maybe two of those 60s Chinese joints are gone, including the best one, but there's Porco's and Tiki Underground, both very popular and full of old tiki stuff, and a few other bars like the Erie Kai.

Nothing like the Kon-Tiki, though. And certainly nothing new anywhere in the country like the Mai-Kai or the Kahiki -- or the Hala Kahiki, for that matter. But these other new ventures show that things are possible.

We are losing way too much old stuff. Not enough historic preservation anywhere. Too much of Old Florida is gone, way too much of cool LA is gone. A lot of it has been going away for decades, but a lot of it also went away in just the past few years.

View Profile of mike and marie Send a personal message to mike and marie      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-07-10 10:29 am   Permalink

For every Geeky Tiki mug made, an angel loses its wings.

View Profile of kkocka Send a personal message to kkocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation