[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Bratz Chill Out Lounge
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Bratz Chill Out Lounge
ookoo lady
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-25 07:29 am   Permalink

Be very careful. I have a friend who is a commercial illustrator. She found that Mattel had used some of her design work without permission. She filed a suit, and it seemed like a slam-dunk case in her favor.

Mattel has a very good legal team, and stretched the case out for over 2 years. Eventually my friend lost on a technicality, and she had to pay Mattel's legal costs! She was financially ruined, and had to file bankrupcy.

In this type of situation, the side with better legal representation (and deeper pockets) has a huge advantage.

Good luck. If they offer any sort of settlement, take it and avoid the risks of going to court.

View Profile of ookoo lady Send a personal message to ookoo lady      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2007-01-16 11:46 pm   Permalink

Hey Stuckie, whatever happened with this blatant rip off?

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kona Chris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-30 05:39 am   Permalink

Quote:

[i Eventually my friend lost on a technicality, and she had to pay Mattel's legal costs! She was financially ruined, and had to file bankrupcy.

Any chance you can give more details on this technicality? I think I would be so apoplectic with rage over this, that I would likely do something very drastic if I were her. I certainly wouldn't pay their legal fees, even if it meant burning everything I owned, just so they couldn't get anything from it. I'm pretty sure that something like that would send me over the edge.

Chris

View Profile of Kona Chris Send a personal message to Kona Chris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation