christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-24 2:13 pm   Permalink

This one didn't make the list, but both tikis are still there, on the outside:

The Tahitian.
3932 S Stevely.
1 block E La Brea.
1 block N Coliseum.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
icebaer69
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-24 3:52 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-03-03 10:24, reedalong wrote:
And you can't forget the Horace Heidt Estates - which feature an 18 hole minigolf course where each hole is a scaled-down replica of a hole from a world-famous golf course.

- some photos (which fail to capture the tikiness of the place): http://www.communitymall.com/Home/Photoalbum.asp?MerchantID=120938

beautiful waterfall:

View Profile of icebaer69 Send a personal message to icebaer69      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
guido764

Posted: 2007-04-07 11:39 am   Permalink

Hi names James, most call me guido or gweed. anyway I used to work at #9 up there the tiki tai at 22415 anza. i worked there 4 years total. the first 2 was then i was like 13-15. the manager was this old guy named ron "the bird man" he was fuckin nuts. he was a vietnam veteran and a bad alcoholic. some of my friends older brothers worked there and thats how i ended up there. the name of the complex was anza pines apartments. then once ron got fired i was out of an after school job for a while until right up the street a record store named wall of sound opened up and i'd hang out there and work for the owner (bobby)of that record store when i was like 15... weired coincidence happened, he asked me if i could help him with some work at his apartment complex that he manages, i told him i used to work at this one complex up the street and told him i used to prep vacancies and type up rent ledgers and pass out evictions etc, (my dad is a contractor so i learned a lot of how to do a lot of things growin up) so we walked over there and i was stunned. it was that fuckin complex again. i was like wait a second... u manage this place? i used to work here! with ron the guy before you. weird huh? anyway that was good times back then the building is a 40 unit single/studio only. the managers office was a one bedroom until bobby and i discovered this HUGE attic area from the one berdoom in the managers office. we turned the managers unit into a 3 story 2 bdr within 3 weeks. it was dope as hell because it's the area right above the garage gate and it wasnt connected to any other units. it quickly became the party room and overlooked the whole complex. then bobby got thrown in jail so that was the end of that. i found out he was on parole anyway and he hit his wife. so that was the end of that. the complex has since been renamed lillyanza apartments. i dont know what ever happened to ron or bobby. hell i dont even know if the owner is the same now.

View Profile of guido764 Send a personal message to guido764  Email guido764 Goto the website of guido764     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-07 1:14 pm   Permalink

Wow...uh...what a story!
Looking at Mike's list again, there are so many un-checked places it seems, has anybody been to any and made positive discoveries in the meantime???

C'mon Southern Cal urban archeologists...Long Beach alone seems like it was a hotbed of Polynesian settlements (in 1968)! And all those places called "Tiki" in San Diego !?

Any further reports, anybody?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TN1776

Posted: 2009-07-21 8:33 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-04-07 13:14, bigbrotiki wrote:
Wow...uh...what a story!
C'mon Southern Cal urban archeologists...Long Beach alone seems like it was a hotbed of Polynesian settlements (in 1968)! And all those places called "Tiki" in San Diego !?
Any further reports, anybody?

**#edited to make more anonymous***
This looks like an old thread and I'm sorry to dredge it up if nobody's watching... but I've got another report of sorts (well, more like a question for the SoCal masses here).

I'm searching for an apartment I believe was called the "Kanini Hut", sorry if it's spelled wrong.

This apartment complex was somewhere near the coast, possibly in the vicinity of Manhattan Beach. I didn't see anything in the list posted in this thread, but I've been on a hunt for this place for a while now.

Thanks in advance - and great forum!

[ This Message was edited by: TN1776 2009-07-22 14:26 ]

View Profile of TN1776 Send a personal message to TN1776      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-22 11:18 am   Permalink

Tony -

I've never heard of the Kanini Hut either, but that's a great apartment name. I've been to most of the old tiki apartment complexes here in Southern California and many of them do have a rec-room or manager's apartment in the center of the complex, shaped like a tiki hut, so that part of the story makes sense too.

I'll try to check the old phone book records on microfiche at the Torrance library. You may want to check the Downtown L.A. library on your visit here, because I believe they actually have the old phonebooks from the 60s down in the stacks room and can bring them up for you to research.

Sabu

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TN1776

Posted: 2009-07-22 2:28 pm   Permalink

Thanks Sabu!
I edited my initial post to remove some detail and make it more anonymous. This is the internet afterall... I may see what I can find on microfilm if/when I ever make it down that way again.

View Profile of TN1776 Send a personal message to TN1776      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jason Wickedly
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-23 08:24 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-09-10 11:28, ZuluMagoo wrote:

23. The Islander: 6530 Cherry Ave.
24. The Islander: 1801 E. Wardlow Rd.

I see these two all the time, no tikis or anything, but definitely a 60's polypop kind of style. I printed out the Long Beach list and I have it in the car with my camera, hopefully I can get some pics of the remaining ones. Judging by the addresses, I'm going to guess at least half of those are long gone.

View Profile of Jason Wickedly Send a personal message to Jason Wickedly  Email Jason Wickedly Goto the website of Jason Wickedly     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TN1776

Posted: 2011-06-14 06:09 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-07-22 14:28, TN1776 wrote:
Thanks Sabu!
I edited my initial post to remove some detail and make it more anonymous. This is the internet afterall... I may see what I can find on microfilm if/when I ever make it down that way again.

If anybody is still curious... the Kanini Hut was located in Lennox. It is no longer a tiki style complex at all - in fact they filled in the swimming pool and the "hut" building is also gone. It is a rather non-descript, run down old apartment building now. The place is surrounded by tall chain-link fences and all the windows have bars on them. Much different than in the late 60s/early 70s, when I'm told it was "party central" and nobodys doors were ever locked!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation