FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Monkey Island Lounge and Grill, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada (bar)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Monkey Island Lounge and Grill, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada (bar)
Brandomoai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-03 07:28 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-10-01 10:40, TIKIVILLE wrote:
sounds like I'm gonna have ta get loaded at TROPIKAS......whats the decore in these places ?

Vaguely tropical; fake palm trees, some bamboo, a little thatch over the bar (at the Calgary Tr. location, anyway). Not specifically Tiki, as the theme is more southeast Asian. The food is good and the drink menu is fairly impressive! All classic Trader Vics recipes like the Mai Tai, Scorpion, Pino Frio, Suffering Bastard, etc. Most of the drinks are available in single-person, 2-person, or 3-person servings. Definitely worth checking out, unlike Monkey Island.

View Profile of Brandomoai Send a personal message to Brandomoai  Goto the website of Brandomoai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sweet Daddy Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-03 09:34 am   Permalink

They dialed back the tropical at the south side location - it used to have a lot more fake palm trees and many tables had those big backed peacock chairs (or whatever they're called) and the wait staff wore bright aloha shirts, but now not so much.

And because it can't be said enough - Monkey Island sucks.

View Profile of Sweet Daddy Tiki Send a personal message to Sweet Daddy Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKIVILLE
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-19 2:15 pm   Permalink

NEWS FLASH !
ATTENTION ALL # TIKI FOLKS IN EDMONTON ! lol
MONKEY ISLAND IS CLOSED AND THIS IS WHATS LEFT OF THE PLACE!

Ya I know how did I aquire such a clean shot !?
well its the pile in the back of my van on the way home!
Yes I was lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time to get it all !
odds and ends I wasn't able to dig outta the dumpster,but my shame left me years ago so thats no setback .....
Yes digging in a frenzy through scraps of tim and fiberglass insulation with my bars hands 1/2 an hour late for work for anything I could carry.
Too bad this place never amounted to anything decent but as they say one mans garbage is another mans gold!
I'll post more photos of the end result in a contest to name my hut coming up !
sorry to the 2 other TIKI fans in town that ya missed the scoop!

View Profile of TIKIVILLE Send a personal message to TIKIVILLE  Email TIKIVILLE     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sweet Daddy Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-19 3:10 pm   Permalink

Good on ya for being Johnny-on-the-spot. I'm glad someone got some good out of that sorry excuse for a tiki bar.

View Profile of Sweet Daddy Tiki Send a personal message to Sweet Daddy Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKIVILLE
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-19 3:17 pm   Permalink

you got that right !
Thanks for the sentiment .....now to convince somebody with deep pockets to glue and screw together a REAL tiki bar in this town!

View Profile of TIKIVILLE Send a personal message to TIKIVILLE  Email TIKIVILLE     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-19 3:28 pm   Permalink

Nice haul Tikiville!!! Looks like good stuff. Even though the Bar was S*#T, at least you now have some bamboo with a little history in it. Even though it is came from a bar that should have been burned down!!

It sure seems very touchy around that Edmonton way! All you crazy local collectors.... I mean the three collectors you have in that city and the on edge hunting that you do. I would start wearing protection if I had to compete with all of you. I mean all three of you!!
Oh...nearly forgot, I will throw one more out your way as I have a sister-in-law who now lives out there and she sometimes buys Tiki stuff!;)

TabooDan

View Profile of TabooDan Send a personal message to TabooDan  Goto the website of TabooDan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKIVILLE
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-19 4:17 pm   Permalink

well tell her she's gonna need 80% luck and 20% diligence!...
and if she's out shopping and see's treasure?,grab it ...we may be right behind her!lol

Brandomoai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-23 07:47 am   Permalink

Hey Tikiville, nice score! Did you get any of the fake-bamboo wall lights? I was working for the store that sold them those lights when they opened but by the time I decided I needed a couple they were discontinued by the manufacturer. You'd better do something great with all that material and invite me and SDT over to see it or we'll have to track you down and do a little repo work.

Quote:

On 2009-06-19 15:28, TabooDan wrote:
Nice haul Tikiville!!! Looks like good stuff. Even though the Bar was S*#T, at least you now have some bamboo with a little history in it. Even though it is came from a bar that should have been burned down!!

It sure seems very touchy around that Edmonton way! All you crazy local collectors.... I mean the three collectors you have in that city and the on edge hunting that you do. I would start wearing protection if I had to compete with all of you. I mean all three of you!!
Oh...nearly forgot, I will throw one more out your way as I have a sister-in-law who now lives out there and she sometimes buys Tiki stuff!;)

TabooDan

TabooDan, your sister-in-law had better watch it...

View Profile of Brandomoai Send a personal message to Brandomoai  Goto the website of Brandomoai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKIVILLE
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-23 2:21 pm   Permalink

I'll take a better photo of the complete haul soon ....some of the items were going to auction apparently ( like the fiberlastic hollow TIKI w/ the liquor company name on it)and the monkey Island sign thats currently sitting in the alley against the wall ( hmmmm)
so unfortunatly that may be a couple of things that I wont get .( depending on how ya see it )

TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-23 4:06 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-06-19 15:28, TabooDan wrote:

TabooDan

TabooDan, your sister-in-law had better watch it...
[/quote]

Hey Hey Hey....I am not worried about it! With SweetDaddy and you others there, I told her to only go shopping with a helmet and body armour!! You'll see her!!;)

Happy Hunting folks!!
TabooDan

View Profile of TabooDan Send a personal message to TabooDan  Goto the website of TabooDan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Brandomoai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-10 09:50 am   Permalink

They're reopening as "The Island Lounge and Grill". Looks like they've taken everything that was interesting about the decor out (ie. the bamboo and thatch-work) and made it look about as bland and generic as it felt. But they're bringing back the grill menu and if they expand the drink menu to what it was before it might be worth stopping in for a drink once in a while. Of course, they've definitely given up on being any sort of Tiki bar at all...

TIKIVILLE
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-10 10:36 am   Permalink

well , I hope it's at least something....It would be nice it they left out the dance music and shooter specials.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation