FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Pago Pago Restaurant and Cocktail Lounge, Tucson, AZ (restaurant)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Pago Pago Restaurant and Cocktail Lounge, Tucson, AZ (restaurant)
tikivixen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-11 11:50 am   Permalink

Name:Pago Pago Restaurant and Cocktail Lounge
Type:restaurant
Street:2201 Oracle Road
City:Tucson
State:AZ
Zip:85705
Phone:n/a

Description:
This ashtray just sold on EBay for what is to me a rather insane amount of money...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6206251826&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

But on the other hand, Col. Batguano (a Strangelove fan! You rule!) may have a point. I've done several exhaustive TC searches and find no mention of this place. Please pardon me if I missed it--I tried alternative spellings galore, etc.

Here's the picture:

I know exactly where it is as I once stayed at a (Tiki, natch) motel several blocks up the street. When I look the address up, it's now a fabric and textile graphic design joint. So, no more Pago Pago. I also note that the street's evidently grown a lot, since there's now a North Oracle designation, but back when this ashtray was made it was just Oracle Street, period.

Anyone know anything else about this place? I like the pic on the ashtray. I'm sorry it wasn't still there when I was in Tucson, but hey, at least I got to visit the Kon-Tiki, which is marvelous, by the way--painted tikis and all .

Here's a link to

SATELLITE MAP

(edited to fix image...)

[ This Message was edited by: tikivixen 2005-09-11 11:59 ]

View Profile of tikivixen Send a personal message to tikivixen      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikivixen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-11 12:00 pm   Permalink

...and no, I can't find it in Critiki either! hmmm.

View Profile of tikivixen Send a personal message to tikivixen      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
the drunken hat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-11 6:22 pm   Permalink

i've seen some paper goods from pago pago before. it is rare and the menu went for quite a bit as well.

however i'm not sure but i think there is more than one pago pago. this one and one somewhere in california.

View Profile of the drunken hat Send a personal message to the drunken hat  Email the drunken hat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-12 11:58 am   Permalink

Bob and Leroy know a lot about this place, they supplied a lot of stuff for it, and took some back when it closed. They were selling a bunch of their old beaten up lamps for a while...it went thru some name changes I think.
...hmm, what else...oh yeah, there are some nice "raised breasts" matches from it...that I remember!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kona Chris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-05 02:50 am   Permalink

Looks like another Pago Pago menu was up on ebay, and ended recently, for the very decent price of $8.50. Unfortunately I missed it, and only found the auction tonight.

Pago Pago menu on ebay

And a re-host of the picture in the auction, plus the description:

"This auction is for an authentic vintage menu. This menu is from Pago Pago's Polynesian Dining Room. It was operated by Jack Holcombe and located at 2201 N. Oracle Road in Tucson, Arizona. Menu is a single sheet folded once to make four pages. Menu is not dated but appears to be from 1950's or early 1960's. It measures 8-1/2" x 11" as folded. Covers and interiors have stained area at upper left. Covers show very light soiling and light edge wear. Menu is overall in good used condition. "

Chris

[ This Message was edited by: Kona Chris 2006-09-05 02:57 ]

View Profile of Kona Chris Send a personal message to Kona Chris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
daveraz

Posted: 2006-09-05 11:05 am   Permalink

I am the buyer of the Pago Pago Menu on Ebay. Great Vintage piece from a place that unfortunatly does operate any longer. The location is now Starbuck Design, a promotional products company. Oracle Road in Tucson has become a little seedy in places and has lots of cheap motels etc.... Anyway I love collecting this stuff. Mahalo!

Dave

View Profile of daveraz Send a personal message to daveraz  Email daveraz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bifcozz
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-09-20 4:09 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: bifcozz 2007-02-09 21:48 ]

View Profile of bifcozz Send a personal message to bifcozz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ukutiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-24 6:40 pm   Permalink

Picked up this Pago-Pago menu recently. Lots of drinks and prices plus pics of the two owners. It is about 8 x 11 and double sided.

View Profile of ukutiki Send a personal message to ukutiki  Email ukutiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-05-24 7:24 pm   Permalink

Good cocktail name on the menu - "Between The Sheets." I'd guess that was considered a pretty racy name for that time, and for some, part of the fun of going to that establishment was ordering "naughty" drinks. I love it!

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-24 7:50 pm   Permalink

Great score on that menu! There a bunch more images for Tucson's Pago-Pago in Critiki: Link to the Pago-Pago entry in Critiki

Re: Between the Sheets, isn't that a funny & unexpected cocktail name for the era? It's actually a very good drink, I made a blog post about it a while back, it in turn has links to some friends who have their own informative blog posts about Between the Sheets: Link to Between the Sheets on the Trottomatic blog

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2014-05-24 8:20 pm   Permalink

Love to see the prices too!!!

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-05-24 9:03 pm   Permalink

Thanks, humuhumu, I didn't think of looking up "Between The Sheets." But now that you've brought it up, I'm gonna make it tomorrow. What better way to get ready for Memorial Day? I found the permanent link on the Trottomatic blog is:

http://trottomatic.com/2012/01/15/between-the-sheets/

Cheers and mahalo to you!

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-28 07:55 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-05-24 18:40, ukutiki wrote:
Picked up this Pago-Pago menu recently. Lots of drinks and prices plus pics of the two owners. It is about 8 x 11 and double sided.

Cool menu. Bob and Homer stole the menu layout from the famous three monkey drink menu used the Tropics in Beverly Hills.

Speaking of Bob and Homer, here is a postcard from my collection showing the rather frumpy looking hosts at the Pago Pago.

Bob and Homer were then replaced by "Phil"

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ukutiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-28 10:30 am   Permalink

Dusty...Thanks for the info. I admit Bob and Homer look frumpy but Phil looks just plain mean

View Profile of ukutiki Send a personal message to ukutiki  Email ukutiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
A Frame
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-28 10:33 am   Permalink

Here's a good sized hanging lamp from Pago Pago which now resides at Oceanic Arts in Whittier. I would think that the lamp dates to late 50's, early 60's "TIKI", rather than the 40's "Pre-TIKI" look of both DC's postcard and Ukutiki's menu.

View Profile of A Frame Send a personal message to A Frame      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation