FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Tiki Boyds, Denver, CO, Denver, CO (bar)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Tiki Boyds, Denver, CO, Denver, CO (bar)
Modern Drunkard

Posted: 2005-09-13 10:45 am   Permalink

Name:Tiki Boyds, Denver, CO
Type:bar
Street:1150 E. Colfax Ave in the Ramada
City:Denver
State:CO
Zip:80204
Phone:303.830.1382

Description:
After a long drought, Denver boasts a Tiki bar again. Designed and assembled by Tiki aficionado Boyd Rice (see Taboo: The Art of Tiki). Not fully together yet, but open for business and well on its way.

View Profile of Modern Drunkard Send a personal message to Modern Drunkard  Email Modern Drunkard Goto the website of Modern Drunkard     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Numb Davey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-13 11:20 am   Permalink

Very good to see you Denver Boys holding aloft the Queen of the West standard on your end!
Between all your saloons and dive bars it was good to see a Polynesian gem pop up in camp. Now, if you just fix fix the Broncos, as they got worked by Miami last week.
Will drop into Boyd's place next time I need a Rocky Mountain High...is Sam Arnold of the Fort still alive?
By the way, loved the last issue...big fan of Kingsley Amis. Like Cyril Ray, not many YANKS know sage and wry wit of professional British drinks philosophers. Not since Oscar Wilde, has there been such an eloquent writer on drink.

View Profile of Rum Numb Davey Send a personal message to Rum Numb Davey  Email Rum Numb Davey Goto the website of Rum Numb Davey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2005-09-13 12:02 pm   Permalink

FKR- are there pix or a website for Tiki Boyd's? We'd love to see it.

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Modern Drunkard

Posted: 2005-09-14 10:18 am   Permalink

YOu bet. I'll take some pics this weekend and post them.

View Profile of Modern Drunkard Send a personal message to Modern Drunkard  Email Modern Drunkard Goto the website of Modern Drunkard     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2005-09-20 8:44 pm   Permalink

A Tiki Bar designed by Boyd Rice? That's great!!! I have been a big fan of Boyd's music going all the way back to his lock groove vinyl recordings with the multiple hand drilled holes. I must admit that if it wasn't for his chapter in the Industrial Culture Handbook I might not be here now! And his articles in MDM are not to be missed!

The next time I'm in Denver I will be sure to drop in.

Thanks!

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LuckyPikiTiki

Posted: 2005-09-21 12:14 pm   Permalink

Tiki Boyd's is an oasis of calm, beauty and happenin' - I oughta know since I live right around the corner and have seen the glorious evolution --- highly recommend, and as it is evolving, come with a little patience.

Welcome to all out-of-towners ---

View Profile of LuckyPikiTiki Send a personal message to LuckyPikiTiki  Email LuckyPikiTiki Goto the website of LuckyPikiTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
naugatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-09 4:05 pm   Permalink

Looks like they're open for business and have a good eye for detail, I can't wait for the offical Tiki Boyds mug.

http://www.tikiboyds.com/

View Profile of naugatiki Send a personal message to naugatiki  Email naugatiki Goto the website of naugatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
roland

Posted: 2005-10-13 11:58 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: roland 2006-03-12 21:10 ]

View Profile of roland Send a personal message to roland      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-15 12:08 am   Permalink

I don't think one can expect Tiki Boyd's to be another Trader Vic's, and write about it like a restaurant reviewer. Yes, if they plan to survive, they gotta be able to compete, but maybe they can, as a low budget dive. From what I have seen on their website, I view it more like Tiki concept art, in a good way.

What would you do if you had no money, no backers, and only a small group of friends with a love for Tiki and no place to go? Make a nice home bar, or, what Boyd apparently did, lend your expertise and objects to a space that is public, to help create SOMETHING like a Tiki Bar.

If the intention is correct, it is better than doing nothing at all, and hopefully it will grow and develop.

Years ago some Denver nightclub owner opened a Tiki "Club" using "borrowed" Bosko art and O.A. stuff, and it bombed, so let's hope this more personal attempt will work.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Molokai Mike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-15 11:59 am   Permalink

The fact that Denver finally has a Tiki bar is a cause for celebration in itself. I agree with Bigbro, that one should not expect every little Tiki bar to be on the scale of Trader Vics, with Pu pu platters and waiters etc. Most bars are not even licenced to serve food. Sure, things did seem a little disjointed, but hell, they've only been open for a couple months - give them a chance !!
Secondly, the fact that they've taken a former sports bar (in the Ramada Inn) and gave it a Tiki make-over is a bold move, especially on a street that has a bunch of bars !! One less Sports bar and one more Tiki Bar in Denver - I'll drink to that !!

I was in Denver this last weekend and thought I'd check it out. I didn't know what to expect, having heard some negative things about Boyd and the neighborhood. On the way, we got lost and I called the number on the website. "Is this Tiki Boyds ?" I asked. They replied "No, East Coast Restaurant" I all but gave up at this point. Finally arrived at the Ramada, amid a rain storm. Walking through the lobby, I immediately noticed the tell tale signs of a bamboo entrance. The strained, scratchy vinyl sounds of "We're going to the Hukilau" eminated as I walked in, and I was happy!! We sat at the bar, ordered crinks as introduced ourselves as being from the Bay Area. Almost immedialtely, we were approached by the GM, Aaron Specht who toured us aroung the place and explained the work in progress, that included a recently opened "private booth" area, which is killer. He also explained that the controversial Boyd, a well know and respected figure in the Denver underground, was called on to undertake the decor, but he does not have a financial or managerial stake in the bar at all.
Downside... The bar really needs a cocktail menu. Also the tables and chairs (overstock from the restaurant next door) seem out of place, as do the sports TV sets.
Upside...Exotica vinyl played on that old relic - the turntable. Awesome Black Velvet paintings, cool light fixtures and Tiki masks. The decor needs to come together, which I'm sure it will. (When we opened Conga Lounge, it took us a full year before we had the bar looking the way we had intended)
I'm sure these guys will be rocking a few months from now. Give them a chance - they definitely deserve it. Good luck Aaron. Here's hoping Tiki Boyds will revive Tiki in Denver - long live Tiki Boyds!!

The Oasis in the Ramada

I especially liked the velvets and the lights

Myself with the MG/partner Aaron Specht (left)

[ This Message was edited by: Conga Mike 2005-11-11 14:01 ]

View Profile of Molokai Mike Send a personal message to Molokai Mike  Email Molokai Mike Goto the website of Molokai Mike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-15 12:12 pm   Permalink

Hey Conga Mike - I fixed the formatting of the [img] tags, but it looks like the location of the images on your server isn't right, and I can't fix that, I'm afraid!

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-17 4:08 pm   Permalink

Conga Mike emailed me his pictures, and I've added them to his post.

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-30 3:08 pm   Permalink

I spent a very pleasant evening at Tiki Boyd's last night, chatting with Mr. Rice about a wide range of topics, both tiki and Fortean, and sampling the excellent drinks. I'm very impressed at how much they've gotten right in the short time they've been open.

They have drink menus now (although I couldn't read them because the lights were so low...), and Boyd assured me that they are looking for ways to tikify the shabby barstools and tables, along with building a new waterfall similar to the one that graced the original lounge. The music was wonderful, and the place was quite busy by the time I left.

My only suggestion was that they add a few cocktails that are a bit less fruity than their current offerings, since I prefer drinks with multiple rums, lime juice, and just a smidge of syrup or liqueur, but that's just my personal taste.

Weblog:
Eye of the Goof

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai  Goto the website of MrBaliHai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki-el
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-10-31 4:03 pm   Permalink

I think that place is great. I'll be a regular there.

View Profile of tiki-el Send a personal message to tiki-el  Email tiki-el     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RockstarDenver

Posted: 2005-11-13 01:34 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: RockstarDenver 2005-11-13 13:37 ]

View Profile of RockstarDenver Send a personal message to RockstarDenver      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation