FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Events » » Other Events » » New England Tikiphile Events
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 Next Page )
New England Tikiphile Events
velveteenlounge
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-05 10:04 am   Permalink

Captain Quad and I are planning to hit Ho Kong on Friday, August 26, and it might even turn into a mini tour to encompass Mon Kou as well. I know Fridays probably aren't ideal, but we'd love to meet up with anyone who's interested!

View Profile of velveteenlounge Send a personal message to velveteenlounge  Goto the website of velveteenlounge     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki-tina
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-12 4:32 pm   Permalink

Aloha y'all!

We'll be in Chicopee this summer visiting family and are planning to be at the HuKeLau for dinner & a show on Friday, August 5th if y'all are up for it!

Bringing my grandmother to celebrate her 94th birthday (Yes, I said 94!)so please stop by to say hello if you decide to join us!

(BTW, I grew up in MA, and the HuKeLau was my v. first exposure to Tiki. Now, we live in Arizona, but visit the the HuKeLau *every* time we go back !

Looking forward to a good time!

View Profile of tiki-tina Send a personal message to tiki-tina      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2011-07-12 4:56 pm   Permalink

Arriving Bostonia on this Wednesday 13 at 6.30 PM leave Sept. 13. Will spend most of the time in the Peoples Republic of Cambridge. Also, will visit lobster festival in Maine. Who want to meet sometime? Also trade tiki stuff... (Check my international marketplace) New England, here I come!!!

View Profile of Zeta Send a personal message to Zeta  Goto the website of Zeta     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bargoyle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-14 06:19 am   Permalink

Zeta,

I hope you made it to the free Waitiki show last night!!!

I had to miss it. Stupid job.

View Profile of Bargoyle Send a personal message to Bargoyle  Email Bargoyle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hibiscus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-14 06:32 am   Permalink

Zeta, do you know the restaurant Dali on the Cambridge/Somerville line? Not tiki, but a gorgeous place with wonderful tapas and cocktails if you're getting homesick and want a break from pu pu platters.

http://www.dalirestaurant.com/

View Profile of Hibiscus Send a personal message to Hibiscus      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2011-07-14 06:40 am   Permalink

Waitiki show? I missed it! Stupid 5 hour thunderstorm flight delay!
Dali Restaurant? Will definetly check it out.

Thank you guys! Any other recomendations? I am looking for anything old and authentic. Trully American.

Love New England!

View Profile of Zeta Send a personal message to Zeta  Goto the website of Zeta     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bargoyle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-14 07:29 am   Permalink

Old "authentic" tiki places? Or just old authentic New England?

View Profile of Bargoyle Send a personal message to Bargoyle  Email Bargoyle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Ho
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-14 07:53 am   Permalink

Zeta,

The Orchestrotica's exotica quartet is in Cambridge on July 29th if you're looking for advanced warning on shows Hope you can make it! Details at orchestrotica.com .

saludos desde la republica,
Mr. Ho
http://orchestrotica.com/ ••• New album Nov. 2013

View Profile of Mr. Ho Send a personal message to Mr. Ho  Email Mr. Ho Goto the website of Mr. Ho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bargoyle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-15 11:45 am   Permalink

Tiki-Tina, you may see some of us on the 5th.

And if you havent seen the Hukelau show in awhile, its actually gotten pretty good. Which is good and bad. I kind of liked the super cheesy old show. And yes, the drinks are still pretty much devoid of alcohol, so bring a flask! lol

[ This Message was edited by: Bargoyle 2011-07-15 11:50 ]

Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2011-07-19 04:53 am   Permalink

Thanks Mr. Ho, I'll try to make it to your show. if I'm in town, I'll be there for sure...
Bargoyle or anyone, I'm looking for tiki or any other midcentury (or not) coolness in New England... Is there a thread like that here at TC ? Maybe in Beyond tiki? If not, maybe we should start one... What do you tiki type people suggest me to see? I have been here many times before, so the tiki temples I have explored, but I'm sure I'm still missing a lot of other cool spots. Suggestions?

Mr. Ho
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-19 06:41 am   Permalink

not a lot of MCM here that I know of but for stores, check out two of my favorites:

Abodeon (Mass ave in Cambridge)
Reside Inc (also in Cambridge)

Abodeon is right near the Porter Sq. T Stop. Reside is a little more in a residential area and is more furniture oriented while Abodeon is housewares and some furniture. Nice stuff...$$$!

hope to see ya on the 29th,

Mr. Ho
http://orchestrotica.com/ ••• New album Nov. 2013

View Profile of Mr. Ho Send a personal message to Mr. Ho  Email Mr. Ho Goto the website of Mr. Ho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bargoyle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-19 10:40 am   Permalink

The only cool mid century kitschy stuff was on route 1, up by the Kowloon & Bali Hai, but its all being bulldozed to make way for mini-malls & the like.

In addition to Kowloon & Bali Hai, the South Pacific is a must hit, and if you're out near Gloucester, you MUST go see our friends at Ryan & Wood distilleries, makers of Folly Cove Rum, and continuous supporters of the Ohana event! Plus, its just damn good fun to watch rum being made!!!

Other than those, there's some good stuff in Western Mass, but I'm not sure what your transportation situation is. The Luau Hale, out in Lenox (the berkshires) is actually fantastic. Great drinks & food, and some beautiful murals. There's also the HuKeLau in Chicopee, MA, which still does a polynesian floor show and has some great decor (even post-remodel) but the food and drinks leave a bit to be desired. And Ken Chin's in Worcester (home of the Cheese Mona... deeeeelicious!!). Ken has long since passed, but his wife Judy makes everything fresh, and while much of the decor is gone, Judy is awesome and will regale you with tales of the old days, and the food and drink are fantastic! Seriously. Try the Cheese Monas. You'll be dreaming about them until your next trip back here!

And of course, the Lono Lounge is always open if you, or anyone else, find themselves in Tolland, CT at any point.

Oh, and if you REALLY feel like driving, there's always Lake George, with more googie retro MCM stuff than you can shake a stick at. Not to mention the world famous Tiki Resort, home of the Ohana event (that you just missed unfortunately). One of my favorite spots, even when Ohana isn't swinging.

The Granite Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-19 8:44 pm   Permalink

Hi Zeta, I'm having my annual party at my home Tiki Lounge on Saturday July 30 and you're certainly invited to come and meet a few of the local Tiki folk (as well as my friends and family).

We're just about 40 minutes North of Boston in Southern New Hampshire.

Here's the announcement thread with info:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=40661&forum=4&0

Hope to see you there!

View Profile of The Granite Tiki Send a personal message to The Granite Tiki  Email The Granite Tiki Goto the website of The Granite Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
I. M. Transpose

Posted: 2011-07-24 7:10 pm   Permalink

Hi Zeta - If you haven't been to Tiki Mondays at ThinkTank in Cambridge, I recommend a visit. The music and drinks are good, and cheap Polynesian appetizers 5-7 PM are a bonus. Brother Cleve, who runs this show, is a feature of the American tiki/lounge scene who is both old and authentic.

View Profile of I. M. Transpose Send a personal message to I. M. Transpose      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
xtine
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-07-26 6:29 pm   Permalink

Not Tiki at all but if you like a good ol' Italian Feast with fried dough and fried...everything else we are having a party to celebrate that one will be happening in front of our apartment.

http://fishermansfeast.com/

Entertainment this year is:
Friday - Larry Chance and the Earls singing their classic hits "Remember", "Life is but a dream" and more
Saturday - Jay and the Americans performing their hits "Cara Mia" and "Come a Little Bit Closer"

each night the show starts at 9:15pm. PM me if you think you'll be coming by and you can stop by our apartment for drinks!

View Profile of xtine Send a personal message to xtine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation