FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events New England Tikiphile Events
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 Next Page )
New England Tikiphile Events
johnman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-08 2:24 pm   Permalink

Just wanted to pass my thanks onto Tikisgrl and Granite for posting some info regarding tiki "sounding" places. Looks like we narrow the list down a bit - bye bye Tiki Palace, Tiki House. Hawaiian Isle II in Concord is still a candidate. If you can score a pic or two of the place that would be awesome Granite.

Hey - maybe there's info on the Hawaiian Isle II on TC:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=11399&forum=2&2
Duh! I think the Kowloon is still in the veins. Anyway looks like a cool place to check out if you're in the area and it's certainly more tikified than anything I've seen in RI - though I'm hoping the Ho Kong changes that.

Time to leave work now!

[ This Message was edited by: johnman 2005-11-08 14:30 ]

View Profile of johnman Send a personal message to johnman  Goto the website of johnman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikisgrl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-08 5:17 pm   Permalink

More sound's like Tiki isn't Tiki news... Don't bother with the Tiki In - Arlington, MA - Another Tiki-named take out joint.

But on a Brighter Note: Tiki Island - 269 Middlesex Avenue, Medford, MA. They actually had Tiki's!! Nice Fu Dogs outside the door Greetings from a Giant Buddha, with that whole Buddha thing going on! Some Tiki's on the wall & some lamps that looked a little Tiki. So if you're in the area and much more of a Tikiphile than I am you could probably peek at the place and not be totally disappointed.

[ This Message was edited by: Tikisgrl 2005-11-08 17:17 ]

View Profile of Tikisgrl Send a personal message to Tikisgrl  Email Tikisgrl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johnman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-08 6:38 pm   Permalink

Many thanks Tikisgrl. I dug up a site for Tiki Island here:
http://tikiislandrestaurant.com/

View Profile of johnman Send a personal message to johnman  Goto the website of johnman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Suffering Bastard of Stumptown
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-08 6:51 pm   Permalink

Tiki Island looks like it's worth a visit, if for no other reason than to pick up some mugs!

And it's not so far away as Chicopee, so we should be able to make a trip there.

By the way, any time any of you come up to Portland, let me know! You'll have to come by my place.

--SBiM

View Profile of Suffering Bastard of Stumptown Send a personal message to Suffering Bastard of Stumptown      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Granite Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-09 12:30 am   Permalink

Ya know, Johnman, I wish I had brought my camera that day I went to Hawaiian Isle II, because I'm surprised to see on that other thread that they didn't take a picture of the hanging lamps! Which are very similar to the ones at Bali Hai. I'll have to go back soon, before any possible lease problems.

View Profile of The Granite Tiki Send a personal message to The Granite Tiki  Email The Granite Tiki Goto the website of The Granite Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johnman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-09 8:50 pm   Permalink

Hey SBiM - Yeah Tiki Island sounds like a candidate. The web site brags about their killer tropical drinks so that gets me through the door. And maybe there's mug potential too.

And if I find myself in Maine (or even next door in NH) I'll let you know. Would love to check out the Lava Lounge.

Hey Granite if you get back to the HI II pack the camera up.

Sleep time for me now...

Tikisgrl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-10 03:02 am   Permalink

I did grab a menu from the Tiki Island. I will have to post some of the items on the menu. As for mugs nothing with their name on it but they have the usual standards! Will post more later when I have more time. SBiM - I'm the one that has stolen all the Tiki's in Maine, in case you were wondering where they went! I'm up there all the time!!

View Profile of Tikisgrl Send a personal message to Tikisgrl  Email Tikisgrl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-10 05:43 am   Permalink

>>>SBiM - I'm the one that has stolen all the Tiki's in Maine, in case you were wondering where they went! I'm up there all the time!!<<<

You've missed a few.

But you can feel free to continue to hit the antique stores as long as you stay out of thrift shops and estate sales.

--SBiM

View Profile of Suffering Bastard of Stumptown Send a personal message to Suffering Bastard of Stumptown      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johnman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-15 2:40 pm   Permalink

Aloha all. Well the holiday's are upon us and I'm certainly up for a little tiki road trip. I'd love to do something the Saturday after Thanksgiving (11/26). Also a comrade from CA will be in the Providence area during this time (you listening cynfulcynner?).

I'm thinking maybe this could be a trip over to the Ho Kong in Woonsocket? Anyone been there recently? Found this post on TC:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=8217&forum=2&hilite=Ho%20Kong

Obviously its no Kowloon, but that will be tough to top in NE.

Pappy and Bargoyle - I'm still game for the Timex museum. Let me know when you guys are interested in setting up that trip (hmm - maybe that's the next one!)

c-ya!
JohnMan

pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-15 5:56 pm   Permalink

Saturday after Thanksgiving, Ho Kong--I'm in.

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Mayor Of Exotica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-16 07:36 am   Permalink

Aloha fellow locals,

It's good to see such thorough research and exploration being conducted by such an intrepid team! In the course of these excursions, did any of the establishments have entertainment? How was it? What kind of entertainment? I know the Kowloon has a comedy club there, but that's all I know. Any reply posts would be greatly appreciated!

Mahalo

View Profile of The Mayor Of Exotica Send a personal message to The Mayor Of Exotica  Email The Mayor Of Exotica Goto the website of The Mayor Of Exotica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-16 08:24 am   Permalink

I doubt I will be able to make the Ho Kong trip, but I am still eager to try Tiki Island.

I'll be in Stoughton on Saturday. IKEA.

--SBiM

Bargoyle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-16 10:12 am   Permalink

I'm in for ho-kong on sat after thanksgiving. As far as the timex trip, I was thinking a weekend between thanksgiving & xmas. Im open to suggestions.

Mayor- The only place I know of in NE with live entertainment is the HuKeLau in Chicopee. The place itself is pretty nice. Lotsa tiki, rattan, nice lamps, murals, etc. The floor show is pretty good (its no Mai Kai, but then again, what is?) and the food is ok, but the cocktails leave a bit to be desired. Its certainly worth a trip and I put it right up there with the Kowloon on the tipsy scale.

The entertainment is a traditional Hawaiian show. Currently it is "Drums of Polynesia". Musicians, dancers, etc. A bit ont he cheesy side, but good stuff regarless. The shows runs every friday and cost $1 cover. They also have comedians play on that stage on other nights. Hope that helps!

[ This Message was edited by: Bargoyle 2005-11-16 10:16 ]

View Profile of Bargoyle Send a personal message to Bargoyle  Email Bargoyle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johnman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-16 4:45 pm   Permalink

Cool - looks like the Ho Kong trip is a go. 6PM start sound good?

The Mayor Of Exotica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-17 12:14 pm   Permalink

Thanks so much for your response, Bargoyle! I'm IMing with Professah Humming Flower right now, and it appears that the Kowloon does have some live music from time to time. Of course, I'm completely biased, but I think live entertainment is an integral part of the ambiance of any place, and adds so much to the experience.

View Profile of The Mayor Of Exotica Send a personal message to The Mayor Of Exotica  Email The Mayor Of Exotica Goto the website of The Mayor Of Exotica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation