FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events New England Tikiphile Events
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 Next Page )
New England Tikiphile Events
Suffering Bastard of Stumptown
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-31 6:42 pm   Permalink

ok, here is going to be our plan.

Traci and I are going to come down whether or not y'all join us.

We'll get a hotel room over in Plymouth.

On Saturday, we will be at the Orchids of Hawaii place at 7:00 for a drink.

Then we will go over to Tiki Buddha for dinner at 8:00.

Let me know if I should expect you.

My cell is 207-712-8471 and you can call. The two places are very close together, so if you meet me at Orchids and we go over to Buddha, and Buddha looks horrible, we can go back to Orchids.

..sbim

View Profile of Suffering Bastard of Stumptown Send a personal message to Suffering Bastard of Stumptown      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rain
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-01 08:50 am   Permalink

sbim - leila and i will see you there. we'll call on the way to confirm.

View Profile of Rain Send a personal message to Rain  Email Rain Goto the website of Rain     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-01 6:48 pm   Permalink

Cool, it will probably just be the four of us.
--sbim (Jon)

View Profile of Suffering Bastard of Stumptown Send a personal message to Suffering Bastard of Stumptown      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johnman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-02 07:44 am   Permalink

Hey SBiM - looks like it will be the 5 of us. I'll be coming up with Rain and Leila.

Anyone else up for tonight? Bargoyle? Pappy (pack the lasagna to go man!)? jpmartdog?

View Profile of johnman Send a personal message to johnman  Goto the website of johnman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jpmartdog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-02 08:33 am   Permalink

Hey Jon
Thanks for the invite - I really wish I could be there this weekend - I've been watching the posts, unfortunately with the new move back to New England - the budget is real low at the moment - as soon as i get settled into a job - I will be part of the "scene". Look forward to Mai-Tai-ing it with all of you!
Jon M

View Profile of jpmartdog Send a personal message to jpmartdog  Email jpmartdog Goto the website of jpmartdog     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-02 09:53 am   Permalink

we are here in plymouth now. see you all later tonight. stay dry!

..sbim

Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-03 4:50 pm   Permalink

Well, those two joints were nothing to write home about. Unless you write horror stories.
No, really, they weren't bad, but decidedly not tiki.

First we met at Orchids of Hawaii, which was in a building that seemed like it might have been a strip joint or a Moose Lodge at some point. When I say "we" I mean Johnman, Rain and Leila, and Traci and myself.

Inside the only tiki was behind the bar, and it was being used as a place to keep baseball hats.

The only mugs they had were scorpion and volcano bowls. The bartender said he used to have a lot more, but not recently. One thing I will give them, the drink was worth the money. My scorpion was certainly STRONG.

So then we went over to Tiki Buddha, which was in a strip mall. It also had no tiki decor.

They did use a variety of good mugs, and my Doctor Funk was pretty good. However, they refused to sell us mugs. The food was pretty tasty however.

I am sure Rain and Johnman will fill you in with more details including some photos, but if you are looking for tiki, don't try these two places.

However, I will say that the company was EXCELLENT! We look forward to doing more with that gang of Rhode Islanders!

..sbim

johnman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-04 08:45 am   Permalink

Thanks for the praise of the RI Ohana - SBiM! We had an awesome time with you guys. It really made up for the lack of tiki we were hoping to discover that night.

SBiM nailed the description just right. First here's a couple of pics of the outside of Orchid of Hawaii, Lakeville, Ma...

The sign - notice the "Restaurant Open to Public" message under the main sign. Hmm, what was this place before???

And one more pic of the outside of Orchid. Forgive the fuzzy look of the picture. This is just to simulate what it really will look like after you knock out a scorpion on an empty stomach (not a wise move on my part!).

Next up we have Tiki Buddha, Middleboro, MA. This place had zero tikis other than the word "Tiki" on the sign. Not even a tiki hat rack was in sight! Drinks and the food were really good. I had a Mai Tai that was on par with the better Mai Tais in the New England area so that was nice. Next up was a Dr. Funk of Tahiti which was very tasty and I believe somewhat authentic. It came in a surfer girl mug, though as SBiM stated - it was not for sale.

The outside (again the scorpion effect was added to this pic):

Here's our Maine Ohana representatives for the evening, the one and only SBiM and Traci:

And the better half of the Rhode Island Ohana - Rain and Leila:

Now if you look closely at the last two pictures you might notice an orb floating around. Looks like Tiki Buddha may be haunted!!!

Bottom line - don't go out of your way to hit these places. Your local strip mall Chinese restaurant will cover everything you'll see at these places. Should this go in Locating Tiki - nah, I've decided to just keep it in the local record.

Thanks for the suggestions dogbytes - you at least got us together for a great night out.

View Profile of johnman Send a personal message to johnman  Goto the website of johnman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-05 07:21 am   Permalink

So have others already checked out the Pago-Pago in Milford?

It was on Critiki, and I found a website for them.

http://webpages.charter.net/harvardfoleys/index.html

Rain
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-05 07:54 am   Permalink

hm, hadn't heard of pago pago before.

as stated - no tiki to speak of at our destinations, but where there are TC members, there is tiki discussion and good comradery

you guys forgot to mention what finally made us leave tiki buddha, though:

View Profile of Rain Send a personal message to Rain  Email Rain Goto the website of Rain     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-05 2:22 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-09-05 07:21, Suffering Bastard in Maine wrote:
So have others already checked out the Pago-Pago in Milford?

It was on Critiki, and I found a website for them.

http://webpages.charter.net/harvardfoleys/index.html

If only there were some kind of searchable database here in Tiki Central....

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=15971&forum=2&hilite=pago%20pago

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-05 2:31 pm   Permalink

Quote:

If only there were some kind of searchable database here in Tiki Central....

well, at least now I know.

..sbim

johnman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-05 3:53 pm   Permalink

Looks like Pago Pago is off the list.

Nice sign Rain - I totally missed that one while we were there.

Bargoyle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-06 2:06 pm   Permalink

That sign at Tiki Buddah is too funny. Reminds me of the engrish.com web site (if you havent been there, check it out. some funny stuff.)

Sorry I couldn't make it this past weekend. Crappy joints or not, I know the company was good.

Had a bit of a family crisis. My 87 year old grandmother took a nasty fall onto concrete & broke her knee-cap completely in half. She also did some serious damage to her already replaced hip.

So, she's fine now & recovering. Post-op took almost a full day in recovery (came close to losing her there), but she is now sprung to the rehab clinic for the next 3-4 months.

I dont know what it is, but somehting ALWAYS comes up when I wanna do a tiki trip. People die, get hurt, the house catches on fire, the cat dies, the dog gets lyme disease....

its gotta end sometime right?? right?!?!?!

So, on that note, how about a nice BIG september trip?

I'm thinking Kowloon. I'm thinking next sat, 9/16.

Any interest out there??

View Profile of Bargoyle Send a personal message to Bargoyle  Email Bargoyle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-08 12:56 pm   Permalink

Sorry, Bargoyle.

Mrs. Pappy & I are tied up on the 16th. Maybe the 23rd?

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation