FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events New England Tikiphile Events
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 Next Page )
New England Tikiphile Events
Tikisgrl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-20 5:39 pm   Permalink

I'm pretty sure you said coherent? That let's me out of the article! Tikisgrl

View Profile of Tikisgrl Send a personal message to Tikisgrl  Email Tikisgrl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-20 5:43 pm   Permalink

Would it be wrong to seriously mess with her head!
Yeah, probably!

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jpmartdog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-20 7:19 pm   Permalink

I think that messing with her head would seriously negate the potential for upbeat positive exposure for tiki culture in the northeast! Just my two cents...

View Profile of jpmartdog Send a personal message to jpmartdog  Email jpmartdog Goto the website of jpmartdog     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bargoyle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-21 2:52 pm   Permalink

Waitiki is playing on Sept 6th (thurs) in Boston. Anyone else wanna join me?

View Profile of Bargoyle Send a personal message to Bargoyle  Email Bargoyle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Mayor Of Exotica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-22 12:01 pm   Permalink

It's at the Beehive, a hip new club which has great food and nice drinks. My favorite is the Beehive Julep, which is basically a Mojito with fresh orange. Good stuff! The atmosphere is great, and there's always a nice crowd there. It's in the South End, not far from the Theatre District, on the corner of Tremont and Clarendon. Walking distance from Back Bay Station. Just in case. Not the most Tiki of venues, but very hip, and somehow the crowd gets us.

View Profile of The Mayor Of Exotica Send a personal message to The Mayor Of Exotica  Email The Mayor Of Exotica Goto the website of The Mayor Of Exotica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scottes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-23 10:29 am   Permalink

I could be up for that... But I'm known change my mind at the last minute when contemplating a drive into Boston at rush hour...

View Profile of Scottes Send a personal message to Scottes  Goto the website of Scottes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Mayor Of Exotica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-24 11:30 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-08-23 10:29, Scottes wrote:
I could be up for that... But I'm known change my mind at the last minute when contemplating a drive into Boston at rush hour...

Focus not on the drive into Boston at rush hour, which is a minor inconvenience; put on the Martin Denny, the Arthur Lyman, the Les Baxter, and prepare your mind. When you arrive, there is valet parking. Forget the drive. Enter the club and enjoy the ambience, the drinks, the show. When you are ready to drive home, there will be no more rush hour.

View Profile of The Mayor Of Exotica Send a personal message to The Mayor Of Exotica  Email The Mayor Of Exotica Goto the website of The Mayor Of Exotica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scottes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-27 03:23 am   Permalink

LOL! I'm now *planning* to be there!

View Profile of Scottes Send a personal message to Scottes  Goto the website of Scottes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-27 04:14 am   Permalink

I can't promise I'll try. But I'll *try* to try.

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scottes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-27 04:49 am   Permalink

What time is this Beehive event?

The Mayor Of Exotica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-27 06:50 am   Permalink

Thursday Sept. 6 at 9 pm. The Beehive is at 541 Tremont St Boston, next to the Cyclorama (a large theater), and at the corner of Tremont and Clarendon in the South End. Not far from Back Bay Station.

Scottes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-31 06:19 am   Permalink

Is anyone else planning on seeing Waitiki at the Beehive?

Does anyone have any ideas for another September get-together? I know we're all tuckered out from NETT, but I'm so hyped right now that I don't think I can go a whole month without more laughs, tiki, good friends and Mai Tais.

I wish I could throw something at my house, but this place is in no condition for a shindig. I'm working on convincing the wife to convert the downstairs family room into some sort of entertainment facility. Does anyone know where I can get enough bamboo to cover a 13x25 room?

Scottes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-04 2:47 pm   Permalink

Another idea for you New Englanders... Just to test the waters to see if there's interest...

Would any of you be interested in a Rum Tasting? As many of you know I have quite a collection - currently 80 rums, seen here:
http://scottesrum.com/my-lists-of-rums/.

I'm thinking about a couple ways to do this:

1) Take a chosen selection of 12-15 rums and concentrate on comparisons: compare 3 whites, a cachaca and an agricole, compare 3 golds, 2 aged agricoles, 2 demeraras, and finish with a number of fine sipping rums.

2) Take a chosen selection of 12-15 rums and approach them by concentrating on building up knowledge and differences (Puerto Rican vs Barbadan vs Jamaican, for instance). Go through one at a time, discussing the islands, its rum tendencies, and what to expect.

3) Free-for-all. I'll bring in 30 rums, you try the ones you like.

For 1 or 2, I can imagine that I'd prepare some notes and do some talking as we go. I've done a ton of small-group public speaking so this is easy. End each "round" with a discussion of the rums, the tastes, likes/dislikes, etc.

For 3, I'd imagine this would be much quieter - I would not do much talking. Instead I'd prepare a small write-up of each rum and you could read as you liked.

In either case, we'd have to think about *tiny* tastes, like 1/4 oz. 15 rums at 1/4 oz is 4 oz of booze, and enough to catch a fairly good buzz. Of course, once done with the tasting there'd be some left over.

I'm thinking I'd have to charge $5-10 a person, which might cover the cost of the rum but I'm not looking to make a profit, just break even.

Secondly - where? I think that New Tiki might be a good bet, since they have a small (but not tiny) back room which would do for a private function. We'd be able to order food to help absorb the alcohol, and afterwards we could finish the night with Mai Tais and such. Brian would probably be open to this, but of course I'd have to check.

Third - Is this even legal? I have no idea if I would be allowed to bring 15 open bottles of booze in my car, serve my alcohol at another establishment, and then drag those open bottles home... But if people are interested I can look into all this and figure out a way to make it happen.

Thoughts/comments?

Bargoyle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-04 4:45 pm   Permalink

Scottes,

LOVE the idea. And as proffesional drinker, but amateur Rum Scholar, I think #2 would be the coolest. Kind of like "and a bottle of rum" the home course. You'll need to print some Certificates of Rumology 101. Advanced course offered in the future?

I'm not sure how cool an establishment is going to be with bringing your own booze (even Brian at New Tiki) but I'm working on something right now for October, and maybe we could roll the tasting event into it.

We can discuss more at the Waitiki show.

View Profile of Bargoyle Send a personal message to Bargoyle  Email Bargoyle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rain
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-04 5:37 pm   Permalink

Awesome idea, and more than worth the cost. I'd also say #2, but any of them would be great.

View Profile of Rain Send a personal message to Rain  Email Rain Goto the website of Rain     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation