FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Martiki is a Trader Vic's Bartender!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Martiki is a Trader Vic's Bartender!
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-17 04:01 am   Permalink

"Dear Penthouse Forum,

I'd heard before of masterful bartenders, men who could reduce grown women into puddles of yielding gelatin with their liquor-handling prowess, but I thought I was immune. I never thought that it would be possible, but it happened to me. I walked into the San Francisco Trader Vic's, and there, behind the bar, was the bartender of my dreams -- sleek, efficient, with quick hands that betrayed a knowledge of how to please a woman...."

MARTIKI IS A BARTENDER AT THE SAN FRANCISCO TRADER VIC'S

Yes, the frickin' scamp has been keeping a secret -- for the past 3 months, he's been learnin' the trade at the San Francisco Trader Vic's, and when we arrived for Happy Hour before the Tiki Art Two show, we were all shocked to find that he was serving as our ever-lovin' bartender that evening. 3 months! In case you missed it:

I know that there might be some of you who haven't experienced the unbridled joy of an evening at the Foggy Grotto or Novato Grotto, Martiki's home bars, but here's what you need to know: Martiki has had a passion for drinkmaking for quite some time now, particularly a passion for Getting It Right. He's exactly the sort of guy you want behind the bar when you're ordering the sort of complicated concoction we all love, and he's exactly the sort of guy that Trader Vic's needs behind the bar. It's win-win all around. Again, for those who might be slow on the uptake:

So, how's about startin' to meet up there more regular-like?

But first and foremost, let's congratulate Martiki, 'cause this is an exciting thing, but even more so, the Trader Vic's organization, for hiring the right man for the job.

Congratulations!

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

[ This Message was edited by: Humuhumu 2005-09-17 14:37 ]

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-17 04:37 am   Permalink

Cool! Well done Martiki. If I ever make it topside, Ill have to come visit ya for a real drink.

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-17 07:58 am   Permalink

well done Martiki! Yet another reason to go to SF...

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-17 08:36 am   Permalink

congratulation...I now understand why he was looking so intensely at the TV bartender at the last SF bar crawl

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PapeToaTane
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-17 08:49 am   Permalink

And he got a very cool shirt out of the deal, too!! Worth a special trip up there! Well done, mate!

View Profile of PapeToaTane Send a personal message to PapeToaTane  Email PapeToaTane Goto the website of PapeToaTane     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dangergirl299
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-09-17 08:53 am   Permalink

Wait, does this mean he can't get us a discount at Bev Mo after all?

View Profile of dangergirl299 Send a personal message to dangergirl299  Email dangergirl299 Goto the website of dangergirl299     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-17 09:05 am   Permalink

Congratulations Martin!!!

More embedding as we take over the world. AHAHAHAHAAA!

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-bot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-17 09:57 am   Permalink

There is a God...

View Profile of Tiki-bot Send a personal message to Tiki-bot  Email Tiki-bot     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SugarCaddyDaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-17 10:16 am   Permalink

CONGRATS MARTIKI!!!

Is this the precursor to the upcoming chain of Trader Martins? If so, then I'll buy the Orange County/LA County franchises!

View Profile of SugarCaddyDaddy Send a personal message to SugarCaddyDaddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-17 10:26 am   Permalink

Wow, now THAT'S a slick move! Congrats Martin!

What a great concept for a "Gesamtkunstwerk" (German term for an all-aspects-of-life-encompassing-work-of-art).

Never have thought it possible that the commercial and the underground side of Tiki would meet in such a beneficial way.

Carving Tikis, making mugs, yeah, but becoming a Trader Vic's bartender, all by your own dedication?
That's going all the way.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2005-09-17 10:49 am   Permalink

Aw, you guys are making me blush. Thanks so much for all the kind words.

You can find me behind the bar Friday, Sunday, and Monday from about 4 to midnight, and Thursdays at lunch. And probably seven days a week when the holidays roll around.

Sorry DG, the BevMo era is coming to an end. Next Saturday will be my last day there. I will miss the discount, too

Mahalo all!

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-17 10:50 am   Permalink

Martin makes a mean mai tai.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nicktiki
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2005-09-17 11:01 am   Permalink

Martiki,

Congrats!! I like the SF Trader Vic's, but this makes it even more special. I'll definitely stop in next time I'm in town. I'm stoked for you, looking forward to seeing you behind the bar!

Nicktiki

View Profile of nicktiki Send a personal message to nicktiki  Email nicktiki Goto the website of nicktiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-09-17 12:19 pm   Permalink

Holy Honi Honi, that's neat! Sometimes in the past there's been a TVics bartender who's friendly towards us TCers, but this is a stripe of a different horse altogether!

Martin, sounds great, and hope to see you there (when we're out and about). Too bad you didn't mention it at the Makeout Room the other night, but I guess to paraphrase Orson Welles, "we will spill no beans before they're clean".

So what's the hardest drink to make (so we can all order it from you when we see you)?

What's your favorite new discovery (drink-wise) that you didn't know about before being trained in the sacred rituals?

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ikitnrev
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-17 12:38 pm   Permalink

Good news!

Especially with me coming to the S.F. area in two weeks. A new Trader Vics for me to visit, a new Tiki Central person to meet, a new bartender to talk to -- all combined in one neat package!

I'll be there either October 2 or 3 (Sunday or Monday) -- or both dates!

Vern

View Profile of ikitnrev Send a personal message to ikitnrev  Email ikitnrev     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation