FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Martiki is a Trader Vic's Bartender!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Martiki is a Trader Vic's Bartender!
tikiwinebear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-18 10:22 am   Permalink

A Local Boy makes good!!! Yeehaw, and congrats, Martin! Will finally get to say howdy in person. The last round of mai tai's we had in SF weren't all so special, so now we will definitely make it back soon!

My fez off to you!

View Profile of tikiwinebear Send a personal message to tikiwinebear  Email tikiwinebear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2005-09-18 12:42 pm   Permalink

Thanks all again!

If you're visiting from TC, please be sure to come up and introduce yourself if I don't know your name/face.

RJ- the hardest drinks to make (for me) are the ones in real pineapples since we core them to order. It's a pain in the ass, plus we put them on a plate and specially folded napkin. Looks great, tho'. I won't say which two they are, but you guys will figure it out pretty fast.

My favorite new discovery is a SECRET drink (oooh!) not on the menus called the Hinky Dink's Fizzy. Gin, lime, passion, apricot, champagne, and more- some of you already had one on Friday. It's great. Ask for it by name! More about this one later...

Vern- Catch me on the 3rd- I'll still be in Chicago before that.

Will try to keep the hairs out of the navy grogs.

I kept it a secret so I could ramp up a little bit before people showed up. I still don't have all the drinks memorized, but I'm getting there. Even drinks I knew I've had to relearn the restaurant versions for consistency.

As for secret ingredients, there aren't any! You now may notice how I've been posting the occasional recipe in the other forums- the only things you can't really get on your own are the Mai Tai Concentrate and the Rum (Navy) Grog Concentrate, unless you know Joel in Atlanta. That's what gives Navy Grogs and Mai Tais the unique "in-restaurant" flavor. All the recipes in the "Trader Vic's Tiki Pary" book are accurate, by the way.

Pablus- there are a lot of great mixologists in the company, who are concerned with keeping the flavors consistent. Sure there's things I don't like, but the reality of business means no Zaya in the well! (Seriously, we play with a lot of rum combos- and my fellow bartender Lars turned me on to Mai Tais with Zaya and Pusser's. Try it!) But it will be a long time before they send a greenhorn like me out into the world.

Elicia- don't worry, there's a total pro coming to the Seattle location- you're in very good hands.

Great post BK- all praise the blessed jigger.

Vixen- ha, yeah- when I was switching jobs, I was working seven days a week for a little bit, so it was crazy! But, yes:

"Acting!"

"Thank you!"

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-18 5:58 pm   Permalink

Will you beat me if I order a beer?

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kittynitro

Posted: 2005-09-18 6:11 pm   Permalink

You bartending right down the street, and me off the sugary drinks this month. I'm not sure there is a god.

View Profile of kittynitro Send a personal message to kittynitro  Email kittynitro     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2005-09-19 12:55 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-09-18 17:58, Jungle Trader wrote:
Will you beat me if I order a beer?

Of course not- Anchor Steam and Bitburger on draft ($3 at happy hour!)

Plus Hinano in bottles!

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2005-09-19 01:00 am   Permalink

The rest of happy hour, as a friendly reminder:

(reposted)

For those who don't know, Vic's SF Happy Hour is from 3:30- 6:00pm, M-F and features:

-$5 Bahia, Mai Tai, and Tonga Punch

-half price on many appetizers

-free sushi and hot snacks, usually wings, ribs, or pot stickers.

-$3 drafts (Bitburger & Anchor Steam), $5 wine and well drinks

-complimentary house-made taro chips. yum!

There is a second Happy Hour from 10pm-12:30AM featuring all the drink specials again.

Ich bin ein corporate tool!

pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-19 06:02 am   Permalink

<<<Pablus- there are a lot of great mixologists in the company, who are concerned with keeping the flavors consistent. >>>

Where are they working? I've been to no less than 3 TV's within the last 15 months and haven't met anyone that can create a drink like you. Joel is good. Very good. You are a different level. Oakland has one guy that retired a few years ago that still remembered Vic. And one guy left who I had to instruct about Falernum. The rest there suuu-hhhu--uuuck.

<<< But it will be a long time before they send a greenhorn like me out into the world. >>>

Yeah, I give it about 3 months when they realize that your shift does 50% more high end liquors than anyone else. Wil they let you wear your fez?

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-19 07:21 am   Permalink

Martin, this is *SUCH* good news!
For you!
For us!
For Trader Vic's!
For tiki!!

I got a happy (um, drunken?) phone call from one of the revelers at your new job on Friday night. The caller stated that the group who had met there would not likely be making it to the tiki art event to which they'd planned to go, as they were having WAY too much fun (and way too many perfect cocktails) at TV's.

The sign of a perfect bartender; ya just don't wanna leave.

I even more eagerly await my next trip to SF, being one of the lucky ones who tasted the fruits of your labors at the Foggy Grotto. And now, as should be, you get PAID to do that voodoo that you do so well

F

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Al-ii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-19 07:30 am   Permalink

Martin!!!
What can I say.... This is just huge!!! congratulation my man. Finally Vic's has a real bartender.
Mahalo,
Al

View Profile of Al-ii Send a personal message to Al-ii  Email Al-ii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Bird
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-19 09:56 am   Permalink

Beth & I cant wait to come visit TV & have a TCer make our drink ASAP!

Congrats Martiki!

TBird.

View Profile of Tiki Bird Send a personal message to Tiki Bird  Email Tiki Bird     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-09-19 10:34 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-09-19 06:02, pablus wrote:
<<<Pablus- there are a lot of great mixologists in the company, who are concerned with keeping the flavors consistent. >>>

Where are they working? I've been to no less than 3 TV's within the last 15 months and haven't met anyone that can create a drink like you. Joel is good. Very good. You are a different level. Oakland has one guy that retired a few years ago that still remembered Vic. And one guy left who I had to instruct about Falernum. The rest there suuu-hhhu--uuuck.

That was true when you were here visiting Pablus, but recently the Emeryville store got a bartender with 4 years experience at the London location, and he really is a cocktail connoisseur. And Sonya (or Sonja) in the SF location is also very good. Things have been improving a lot at Vic's in the bay area as far as drink quality (especially now that martiki is bartending). I just wish they would stop the little remodeling jobs in the Emeryville location (they recently painted the bar ceiling in a light color which makes it look less cozy).

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
inkylouise
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-09-19 12:10 pm   Permalink

Congrads Martin, That is just fabulous!

For the record, I think the Grotto bar decor is nicer than your work bar!

View Profile of inkylouise Send a personal message to inkylouise      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kick_the_reverb
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-19 12:38 pm   Permalink

Oh man, this is very exciting news!
Congratulations Martin!
I'm glad I havn't done the planned trek to Nor-Cal yet, now I have another very good reason to go.
All the best,
Ran

View Profile of kick_the_reverb Send a personal message to kick_the_reverb  Email kick_the_reverb Goto the website of kick_the_reverb     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johnnievelour
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-19 2:08 pm   Permalink

Congratulation! What great news. On our next trip to SF, TV will be the first stop.
By the way, Martiki, did you bring your own shirt from home?

View Profile of johnnievelour Send a personal message to johnnievelour  Email johnnievelour Goto the website of johnnievelour     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-19 4:30 pm   Permalink

I had to turn back my Mai-Tai; it didn't have grenadine or pineapple juice in it!!! RAZZZ!! tee hee
If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation