FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Weirdest/Ugliest Carving Ever. I had to buy it
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Weirdest/Ugliest Carving Ever. I had to buy it
TikiTrevor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-17 12:00 pm   Permalink

This piece is uuuugly, but the price was right ($10) so I had no choice. Would you even consider this thing Tiki???

View Profile of TikiTrevor Send a personal message to TikiTrevor  Email TikiTrevor Goto the website of TikiTrevor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-17 12:19 pm   Permalink

that's not only ugly, but also highly disturbing.

i might describe it as 'tiki-influenced.'

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Matt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-17 2:28 pm   Permalink

For those of you from the O.C., it looks like one of the creatures from the old Jungle Island at Knott's. I'm sure one of you O.C. historians could shed some light...

View Profile of Tiki Matt Send a personal message to Tiki Matt  Goto the website of Tiki Matt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-17 3:21 pm   Permalink

exactly what is he doing?

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTrevor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-17 3:52 pm   Permalink

Really? You think its from Knotts? I grew up 1 block from Knotts (and my parents still live there) and don't remember anything like that. I remember the pond, but not artifacts like that. I did find it at a swapmeet in OC though.

Ya this thing is creapy looking. When my brother saw it, he told me that it can't stay in the house. It has to go outside or he'll have nightmares about it...

View Profile of TikiTrevor Send a personal message to TikiTrevor  Email TikiTrevor Goto the website of TikiTrevor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-17 4:32 pm   Permalink

Oface tiki. Yes, I say that its totally tiki. MOre tiki then some things that are passed off as tiki.

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-17 4:46 pm   Permalink

I like it. Good score.

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Sperm Whale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-17 5:55 pm   Permalink

I really don't find it ugly at all!! In fact I think it looks pretty damn cool and unique!! It looks Tiki enough to me and if it isn't Tiki to somebody else who "F"in cares. That is a sweet score!! Did they have any others??
Later,
Spermy

View Profile of The Sperm Whale Send a personal message to The Sperm Whale  Email The Sperm Whale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTrevor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-17 5:59 pm   Permalink

No, they didn't have any others. I actually found it late in the day for a swapmeet (~11:30am). And I didn't buy it right when I saw it. I saw it, walked the rest of the swapmeet, then went back and bought it on the way out.

FreddieBallsomic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-17 8:28 pm   Permalink

Hell Yeah!! I agree with the Sperm-man. Its unique. I'm proud no matter what I find in the wild.

View Profile of FreddieBallsomic Send a personal message to FreddieBallsomic      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikipedia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-17 8:35 pm   Permalink

Looks like either an an Edvard Munch piece, or somebody who just took a knee in the family jewels. Nice score!

View Profile of tikipedia Send a personal message to tikipedia  Goto the website of tikipedia     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HelloTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-18 09:15 am   Permalink

I saw the original statue ("Kimchees's Revenge", the natives call it) on one of my visits to a village Kitilita, in Magnesia.

View Profile of HelloTiki Send a personal message to HelloTiki  Email HelloTiki Goto the website of HelloTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SugarCaddyDaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-18 11:30 am   Permalink

Quote:

TikiTrevor wrote:

I knew that tiki looked awfully familiar!

View Profile of SugarCaddyDaddy Send a personal message to SugarCaddyDaddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Matt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-18 4:50 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-09-17 15:52, TikiTrevor wrote:
I grew up 1 block from Knotts (and my parents still live there) and don't remember anything like that. I remember the pond, but not artifacts like that. I did find it at a swapmeet in OC though.

Me too, Dale & La Palma, Dysinger, Brookhurst, Savanna, small world.

View Profile of Tiki Matt Send a personal message to Tiki Matt  Goto the website of Tiki Matt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rustbeltcat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-19 12:58 pm   Permalink

Slightly reminds me of a Tupilak.... awful evil little totems that Greenlanders (or icelanders cant remember) would use as a black magic attack dogs, similar to a voodoo doll, once made, (out of carved bits of bone, blood, semen, whale tusk, hair..) it would be placed onto an iceflow and pushed out to sea, then to go after the intended victim....
I'll cut and paste the full story of what they are in a bit...

View Profile of rustbeltcat Send a personal message to rustbeltcat  Email rustbeltcat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation