FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Collecting Tiki » » Weirdest/Ugliest Carving Ever. I had to buy it
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Weirdest/Ugliest Carving Ever. I had to buy it
rustbeltcat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-19 1:02 pm   Permalink

heres a bit more info, culled from a post on the FOM site...
"...and they were conjured to life via sucking on the -ahem- sexual organ of their maker.

Most were made with the intent that they would be thrown into the ocean where they would swim to the makers enemies and kill them. It was not unusual to use bits and pieces of human remains... especially children... to make them."

if you google the term Tupilak you will get much more in depth and historically accurate information on them...

View Profile of rustbeltcat Send a personal message to rustbeltcat  Email rustbeltcat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-19 5:41 pm   Permalink

If nothing else it is a great converstaion starter...

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Matt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-19 9:21 pm   Permalink

For more info on Jungle Island (and pics of the strange wooden creatures I was refering to) go to: http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=8541&forum=6

View Profile of Tiki Matt Send a personal message to Tiki Matt  Goto the website of Tiki Matt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-19 10:53 pm   Permalink

I also grew up with Knott’s.
Are we thinking about the sea horses or animals that you could sit on, and when you rocked them, they would spit/shoot water into the pond?
And with no disrespect, he looks like he’s “Taken a Tiki up the Oasis”

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Matt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-20 9:11 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-09-19 22:53, Unga Bunga wrote:
I also grew up with Knott’s.
Are we thinking about the sea horses or animals that you could sit on, and when you rocked them, they would spit/shoot water into the pond?
And with no disrespect, he looks like he’s “Taken a Tiki up the Oasis”

We're talkin' about these guys...

View Profile of Tiki Matt Send a personal message to Tiki Matt  Goto the website of Tiki Matt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-20 9:18 pm   Permalink

To me, it looks reminiscent of this tiki, which is on the grounds at Humphrey's Half Moon Inn in San Diego:

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-21 08:50 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-09-17 14:28, Tiki Matt wrote:
For those of you from the O.C., it looks like one of the creatures from the old Jungle Island at Knott's. I'm sure one of you O.C. historians could shed some light...

Nope - not a "Wood-imal" from Jungle Island. Sorry!

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation